What classical music you listening to, luv?

guildenstern

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #3380 on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:47 pm »

Road Movies
John Adams, composer

Especially the title composition, played with energy, wit, and grace by Leila Josefowicz (violin) and John Novacek (piano)

jcsperson

« Reply #3381 on: 26 Apr 2020, 06:23 pm »

The opening note of the "Infernal dance of King Kashchei" is a hair stander!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3382 on: 26 Apr 2020, 07:22 pm »

Prithee, where for art thou, Fra Andolinko? Almost three months since the last Andolink siting? Has the sun been blotted out from the sky? How doest one Keep Up With the Andolinks when the Andolink hides his face and his good works remain hidden from view? Must we now rend our clothes to wander aimlessly in the wasteland with no compass, no North Star to guide us?

Hope you’re well and staying safe Andy. I’ve been happily falling down the Quobuz and Idagio rabbit holes.
Such fun!

All best,
LesterSleepsIn

richidoo

« Reply #3383 on: 26 Apr 2020, 11:58 pm »

Recorded in the church pictured above, in NJ! Released last week on Reference Recordings label.
Sample video. A nice surprise is the bass singers are recorded very well for a change. The chorus has a full rich sound. I'm listening to it on Tidal.

Blurb:
"The PaTRAM Institute™ has released its latest CD, “Blessed Art Thou among Women”, conducted by Maestro Peter Jermihov, and is available for for purchase or download.

The recording is a compilation of hymns to the Theotokos (Mother of God) that were among the favorites of the late Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov. This very special album is dedicated to Fr. Valery by PaTRAM Institute Chairman and Co-Founder, Alexis V. Lukianov, and his wife Katherine, Academy Director and also Co-Founder, who were the Executive Producers of the new album.

The CD was recorded at the St. Alexander Nevsky Diocesan Cathedral in Howell, NJ in August of 2018. The Cathedral was designed and built by Fr. Valery and is a well-known architectural masterpiece with excellent acoustics. Fr. Valery rests in peace behind this beloved church where his family, parishioners and the Orthodox faithful often come to pray and remember Fr. Valery’s kindness, wisdom and the spiritual nourishment he provided to so many for more than 50 years in service as a priest.

'Our singers performed beautifully to bring this great music to a broad audience and to showcase the gorgeous St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Memory Eternal, Dad!' Mr. Lukianov said."

richidoo

« Reply #3384 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:17 am »

Randy

« Reply #3385 on: 27 Apr 2020, 03:47 am »
Prithee, where for art thou, Fra Andolinko? Almost three months since the last Andolink siting? Has the sun been blotted out from the sky? How doest one Keep Up With the Andolinks when the Andolink hides his face and his good works remain hidden from view? Must we now rend our clothes to wander aimlessly in the wasteland with no compass, no North Star to guide us?

Hope you’re well and staying safe Andy. I’ve been happily falling down the Quobuz and Idagio rabbit holes.
Such fun!

All best,
LesterSleepsIn
I've also been wondering where he's been lately.

andolink

« Reply #3386 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:46 am »
To those who've expressed concern for my whereabouts--

I've withdrawn from all the classical music and audiophile forums I previously participated in for the sad reason of having suffered SSNHL (sudden sensorineural hearing loss) in my left ear almost 3 months ago.  I'm now virtually completely deaf in the affected ear and thus my days of listening critically to music in stereo are over. 

This has a grim period for me and I'm only recently beginning to come to terms with my disability by renewing interest in things other than music that I've also loved such as literature.

I've been extremely passionate about collecting and listening to music as far back as I can remember and an audiophile since age 14 (I'm currently 62).  Both of these hobbies are now permanently over for me. 

I've woken up to the painful awareness of the fragility of my physical self after having taken for granted the excellent health and good fortune I'd enjoyed my entire life.

SSNHL can happen spontaneously to anyone.  The cause is unknown.  Incidence in the population is about 1/5000.

Thanks everyone, especially you Lester, for all the fun I've had on the forum and I'll always treasure knowing that I turned a few people on to some great recordings and got to hear some great music some of you all have prompted me to seek out.

Please everyone, stay healthy and enjoy every second that you have available to appreciate your music and your audio gear.

Bye.

smargo

« Reply #3387 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:11 pm »

I've woken up to the painful awareness of the fragility of my physical self after having taken for granted the excellent health and good fortune I'd enjoyed my entire life.

great words - thanks for the reminding me !

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3388 on: 29 Apr 2020, 04:00 pm »
Andolink - I'm truly sorry man!  You are right, in so many ways we are quite fragile, particularly as we age. 

Randy

« Reply #3389 on: 29 Apr 2020, 07:41 pm »
To those who've expressed concern for my whereabouts--

I've withdrawn from all the classical music and audiophile forums I previously participated in for the sad reason of having suffered SSNHL (sudden sensorineural hearing loss) in my left ear almost 3 months ago.  I'm now virtually completely deaf in the affected ear and thus my days of listening critically to music in stereo are over. 

This has a grim period for me and I'm only recently beginning to come to terms with my disability by renewing interest in things other than music that I've also loved such as literature.

I've been extremely passionate about collecting and listening to music as far back as I can remember and an audiophile since age 14 (I'm currently 62).  Both of these hobbies are now permanently over for me. 

SSNHL can happen spontaneously to anyone.  The cause is unknown.  Incidence in the population is about 1/5000.

Thanks everyone, especially you Lester, for all the fun I've had on the forum and I'll always treasure knowing that I turned a few people on to some great recordings and got to hear some great music some of you all have prompted me to seek out.

Please everyone, stay healthy and enjoy every second that you have available to appreciate your music and your audio gear.

Bye.

You may eventually be able to adjust to listening in your current state. Maybe people do that, and reach a point where they enjoy music as much as ever. Thinking of my brother-in-law in particular.  Good luck.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3390 on: 29 Apr 2020, 09:18 pm »

andolink

« Reply #3391 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:03 pm »
You may eventually be able to adjust to listening in your current state. Maybe people do that, and reach a point where they enjoy music as much as ever. Thinking of my brother-in-law in particular.  Good luck.

Thanks for your encouragement.

So far, listening is a mixture of pleasure and pain.  My affected ear translates sound (if it's loud enough) into noise; so I get music in my good ear and varying levels of noise in the other.  Covering the bad ear alleviates this to some extent. 

Mostly, listening just elicits a lot of sadness over what I now cannot hear i.e., the details and subtleties, the magic of ppp passages, any sense of sound-stage or imaging in the recording.  Everything sounds flat and somewhat harsh (not just music but everything at all times).

I've been learning to accept the situation and I definitely believe that, with time, I'll reach a point where I no longer suffer the feelings of grief and loss I've been experiencing since this started.  Hopefully that will include bringing music back into my life one way or another.

Randy

« Reply #3392 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:07 pm »
I'd be devastated, too, if at some point I can no longer listen to music. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3393 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:56 pm »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3394 on: 30 Apr 2020, 03:10 pm »
Thanks for your encouragement.

So far, listening is a mixture of pleasure and pain.  My affected ear translates sound (if it's loud enough) into noise; so I get music in my good ear and varying levels of noise in the other.  Covering the bad ear alleviates this to some extent. 

Mostly, listening just elicits a lot of sadness over what I now cannot hear i.e., the details and subtleties, the magic of ppp passages, any sense of sound-stage or imaging in the recording.  Everything sounds flat and somewhat harsh (not just music but everything at all times).

I've been learning to accept the situation and I definitely believe that, with time, I'll reach a point where I no longer suffer the feelings of grief and loss I've been experiencing since this started.  Hopefully that will include bringing music back into my life one way or another.

Andy, Brother Andolink, Fra Andolinko,
How completely awful! I can’t even imagine the distress you must be feeling. I can’t see that there’s anything I could possibly say to make you feel better. I can only thank you again for your contributions to AC and for personally enriching my life. I’ve leaned a lot and the new music you’ve pointed to has enhanced my music appreciation journey. We’ll all miss your presence here on “What Classical”. Please continue to share new thoughts; perhaps you’d be willing to share what you’re reading in the “What Book” thread. I feel like a blubbery and rusting-up Tin Man saying farewell to Dorothy as she balloons away to far-off lands. Ok, ... that’s probably not the best analogy ... but for now it’s the best I can do.

Take care and let us know,
Lester

sounddog

« Reply #3395 on: 30 Apr 2020, 06:21 pm »
Andolink - I am truly sorry about your hearing loss. I know classical music has been a passion of yours and can only imagine how this has affected you. I do hope you will find a way to enjoy music again. I have greatly enjoyed your posts and have frequently checked into the albums that you have been listening to. Please know that you have positively affected many of us and your contributions will truly be missed. But I hope you will find a way to return.

All the best,
Peter

andolink

« Reply #3396 on: 30 Apr 2020, 07:08 pm »
perhaps you’d be willing to share what you’re reading in the “What Book” thread.

Excellent idea.  I certainly will.

Thanks for the encomium.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #3397 on: 30 Apr 2020, 09:08 pm »

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #3398 on: 30 Apr 2020, 09:18 pm »
Lovely hirez recording of Shubert's final Piano Sonatas:

Well said, Tyson.  Thanks for the tip!

andolink

« Reply #3399 on: 30 Apr 2020, 10:01 pm »
Andolink - I am truly sorry about your hearing loss. I know classical music has been a passion of yours and can only imagine how this has affected you. I do hope you will find a way to enjoy music again. I have greatly enjoyed your posts and have frequently checked into the albums that you have been listening to. Please know that you have positively affected many of us and your contributions will truly be missed. But I hope you will find a way to return.

All the best,
Peter

Thanks Peter for the very kind words.