BDA-3 DAC

XMAN

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #500 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:05 am »
It could be the BDP2 it happens a few seconds after the last song.  The pop is not just DSD i was playing ripped cd's on the BDP2.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #501 on: 25 Jun 2016, 09:54 am »
It could be the BDP2 it happens a few seconds after the last song.  The pop is not just DSD i was playing ripped cd's on the BDP2.

That is very strange as I have 3 BDP-2's and I do not get any pops? 

james

XMAN

« Reply #502 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:18 pm »
That is very strange as I have 3 BDP-2's and I do not get any pops? 

james

What kind of drive are you using ?

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #503 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:48 pm »
I use an internal WD red 1tb, could the issue be the downloaded DSD I bought?

XMAN

« Reply #504 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:05 pm »
I use an internal WD red 1tb, could the issue be the downloaded DSD I bought?

I'm experiencing it with ripped cd's using a usb samsung ssd

nc42acc

« Reply #505 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:31 pm »
I can get a Gustard from China in 3 days but cannot get a BDA-3 from Canada in 2 weeks. Something's wrong with this picture.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

audio.bill

« Reply #506 on: 26 Jun 2016, 01:29 am »
I don't find that to be unusual at all considering that Gustard is more of a mass produced brand while Bryston gear is hand built with each unit being tested, burned in and re-tested. Remember that good things come to those that wait and quality manufacturing takes time. Not really meant as a negative regarding Gustard, in that each type of product has its target market and there seems to be enough demand to justify both approaches.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #507 on: 26 Jun 2016, 10:18 am »
I can get a Gustard from China in 3 days but cannot get a BDA-3 from Canada in 2 weeks. Something's wrong with this picture.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hi NC

Yes sorry for the delay but as Bill mentioned we test each and every product we manufacture and stress test them for 4 full days before we release them to the market. At one point we were 300 units backordered on the BDA3 so please bear with us.

james

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm by James Tanner »

nc42acc

« Reply #508 on: 26 Jun 2016, 10:36 am »
Bill does NOT know the whole story but I know you do James. I guess a BDA-3 is not meant to be in my system.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #509 on: 26 Jun 2016, 12:49 pm »
Comparing Gustard with Bryston is like comparing men's suits from Moores vs. tailored Savile Row.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #510 on: 26 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm »
Bill does NOT know the whole story but I know you do James. I guess a BDA-3 is not meant to be in my system.

Ok sorry I am not sure what the circumstances are - can you email me directly please with details.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

nc42acc

« Reply #511 on: 26 Jun 2016, 02:32 pm »
I may never know.......

Comparing Gustard with Bryston is like comparing men's suits from Moores vs. tailored Savile Row.

XMAN

« Reply #512 on: 26 Jun 2016, 03:17 pm »
I may never know.......

Hang in there it's worth the wait 

edmiston

« Reply #513 on: 27 Jun 2016, 04:00 am »
Hi James,

I don't know if this has been covered, (there are already so many pages on this thread), but is there any chance you will offer this DAC with a gain stage (i.e. variable output)?  I am sure that there are many of us who have no analogue sources (shame on us!) and a separate preamp not only gives you another box and cords to deal with, but buying all those inputs and outputs when all you need is one seems silly.  I realize the growing popularity of the dac/preamp sector opens a can of worms (headphone - yes/no? analogue inputs-yes/no? streaming-yes/no?) but I do think a superb dac that can drive a power amp directly would be a popular product.

Kind regards,

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #514 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:05 am »
Hi James,

I don't know if this has been covered, (there are already so many pages on this thread), but is there any chance you will offer this DAC with a gain stage (i.e. variable output)?  I am sure that there are many of us who have no analogue sources (shame on us!) and a separate preamp not only gives you another box and cords to deal with, but buying all those inputs and outputs when all you need is one seems silly.  I realize the growing popularity of the dac/preamp sector opens a can of worms (headphone - yes/no? analogue inputs-yes/no? streaming-yes/no?) but I do think a superb dac that can drive a power amp directly would be a popular product.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes we have looked at that option but figured a combination analog/digital preamp would make more sense given the rebound of turntables and LP's as well as a preamps ability to swing much more voltage on its output.  Source gear DAC's are generally limited to about 2 volts out in single ended mode and 4 in balanced whereas a preamp like the BP-26 can output up to 30 volts.

I am not saying we would never do it but it would be a specialized product or we would have to add another gain stage.

james
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm by James Tanner »

audio.bill

« Reply #515 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:56 am »
Another new and very favorable review of the BDA-3 by the HiFiClub in Korea. You can easily get a rough translation from Korean in Google Chrome. http://www.hificlub.co.kr/web10/board/brd_wz_view_n10.asp?pid=10997&lid=100&f_lid=100890&table=brd_10023&ishtml=n

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #516 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm »
Hi James,

Could you please update us on the current backlog of BDA-3 orders at Peterborough?

My dealer has agreed to lend me his floor model for home audition this weekend, so fingers crossed.... :dance:

Thanks,
Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #517 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm »
Hi James,

Could you please update us on the current backlog of BDA-3 orders at Peterborough?

My dealer has agreed to lend me his floor model for home audition this weekend, so fingers crossed.... :dance:

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete

It depends on colour and size but about 2 weeks from order.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #518 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm »
Hi Pete

It depends on colour and size but about 2 weeks from order.

james

Wow that's fast. (Standard silver 17").
Can the voltage output be increased on request at factory? (so I don't have to crank my BP17's volume up).

Thanks,
Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #519 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm »
Wow that's fast. (Standard silver 17").
Can the voltage output be increased on request at factory? (so I don't have to crank my BP17's volume up).

Thanks,
Pete

No  sorry the voltage is set at 2.2 volts single ended and 4.4 volts Balanced.

James