Real world experience with active/wireless speakers

mcgsxr

Real world experience with active/wireless speakers
« on: 27 Sep 2021, 08:09 pm »
I remain curious about actives or wireless speakers.  I have not yet had the chance to hear any, but have read a lot about the Kef LS50 Wireless 1 and 2, the Dynaudio Xeo 10 and 20, the Elac Navis, the Paradigm PW600, Kanto TUK, Totem Kin Play etc

I get that some are focused more on lifestyle than absolute reproduction quality etc.

Anyone put a set of these in a primary or secondary setup and care to share?

EkW

Re: Real world experience with active/wireless speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2021, 01:53 am »
I still have a pair of Kef LS50Ws. They were my main speakers for a couple of years, augmented with GR Research OB subs. There was no need to search out a compatible or the best amp. They sounded very good. Didn’t do much bluetooth streaming and never subscribed to any streaming service. Not entirely sure if they ever got it working right for the first generation. Pretty easy to use but I did not like that one couldn’t see the selected input except from the top of the speaker or from the app that I never used after setup. I have no idea how they compare to the others, but used sets are a great value; no need for the expense and clutter of amps and cables, easy to place with eq settings to tailor the sound. Also, they look nice.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2021, 03:12 pm »
I use a pair of JBL LSR305's for my desktop setup. Does this count?

While I have not heard any of his active speakers, Pat McGinty at Meadowlark Audio is an active design convert. Check out the Meadowlark Audio forum at HiFi Haven for lots of details.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2021, 03:31 pm »
Appreciate the sharing all. 

I might be able to get an ear on some of the original KEF LS50W locally. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2021, 03:02 pm »
Have heard the original JBL 305 ($300/pair USD) here for a week, midfield in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room.  Very nice, could live with them for a very long time.  Some say in desktop use you can hear the hum of the amps but I didn't notice it.

Heard JBL 305 Mk2 briefly in my room ($300/pair USD).  Significant step up, more musical.

Owned Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 for a year+ ($850/pair USD), a small step up from the original JBL 305 that we A/B'd.

Owned JBL 708P for a couple of years ($3900/pair USD), the best overall loudspeaker I've ever heard (accuracy, dynamics, suitable for small and large rooms, imaging, etc.) but use built in ADC and DAC of unknown quality (typical of built-in DACs).

Active monitors come in many variations, from simple active design (low voltage analog input to crossover to individual amps for each driver) all the way to "all in one" products like the KEF LS50W Mk2 and Buchardt A500 where you just connect a source.  All active monitors have substantial sonic advantages simple due to their inherent direct connection between each amp and driver and more sophisticated low voltage crossovers.  Integrating more features can add to synergy, less fuss/clutter, and improved performance (such as EQ or DSP).  Overall active monitors make passive loudspeakers seem like dinosaurs.  Check out the review of the Kali (former JBL engineers) IN-5 at Sound On Sound for a good taste of what's possible from a simple active design (and professional active monitors in general).

I've heard crummy and lackluster examples at places like Guitar Center but have avoided wireless.

But I must admit to going back to my 16 year old commissioned single driver floor standing transmission line loudspeakers which fit my tastes, would be hard to sell, and the JBL 708P built-in ADC/DAC used to convert analog for use in the digital circuitry really bugged me.  And my commissioned loudspeakers are exceptional from a number of perspectives plus the single driver design is active by default. 
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2021, 04:22 pm by JLM »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2021, 12:23 pm »
My first exposure to active monitors came 20 years ago in a comparison between Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair, 2-way passive monitors) versus Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet).  It was a blow out.  The Actives were way more dynamic, more detailed, better imaging, and gob smackingly more/deeper bass.  Passersby thought we were listening to the large four driver floor standing Studio 100 but the Actives imaged better.  It was an epiphany, only one of a few in my 50 years of listening. 

Heard they had reliability issues with the Actives.  Now the only active they sell is the Shift A2 ($700/pair, 2-way monitor) which is a spin off of the Atom SE ($600/pair).  I heard them briefly, a real disappointment.  Like any product there are good ones and not so good.