Qobuz - US release today (02/14/2019)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Qobuz - US release today (02/14/2019)
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 11:04 am »
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/02/14/qobuz-is-my-funny-valentine/?fbclid=IwAR2dT00ood775e49zj8bhZz1v7AmoqSF51ykN7HJbSe9Ax5svyTqS0xVkPg

Good news!  It's finally here.

Am a Tidal subscriber, but not thrilled with selection and the push to pop/rap.  Am still in the market for a music server with more storage than my lap bound general purpose MacBook Air that has 256 GB.  Interested in the hi-res offerings and possible downloads.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2019, 01:58 pm by JLM »

sts9fan

Re: Qobuz - US release today (02/14/2019)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:21 pm »
I signed up yesterday.  I am already liking it better then Tidal but time will tell. 

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:23 pm »
I signed-up yesterday (Sublime+). I will be adding it to Roon this morning. I also have Tidal and plan to keep both services for the time being.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:46 pm »
Perfect timing, in the process to converting my home to DTS Play-Fi which is hirez compatible and the quboz app is already installed in the software.

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:49 pm »
I'm impressed by their purchasing/download offerings - they appear to have a wider selection and better pricing (especially on high res) than competitors, especially if you are a subscriber.  I get the feeling that Qobuz is setting a new standard for streaming/downloading, if I were Tidal or Spotify or any of the on-line high res shops I would be nervous.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:58 pm »
Spotify is not nervous.  Its still better then everything else, it just does not have HiRes or Roon integration.  I imagine they don't even take Roons calls. If Spotify had those things I would switch in a heartbeat.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:05 pm »
I received an email today from Qobuz offering 1 month free trial. I am considering it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:11 pm »
 Certainly lots of music available. What about sound quality ? Do they upsample 44.1 to 24/192 ? Is the Hi Rez music recorded in DSD or upsampled ? For me it is about quality of sound not unlimited music.
I have yet to hear any streamer sound better than a dedicated transport and DAC playing a CD or SACD [ recorded orig in DSD ]. Is it just me or do I have company ? I use a state of the art server, transport and DAC.

charles

guf

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:17 pm »
I have been using it for a few days with Roon. Well signed up but was tricky to get it going. They ask a user name and password but then I needed to sign in on Roon with my email not user name. It was frustrating.  I'm surprised how much I enjoy their offerings.  And the quality seems as good as the albums I have no my hard drive. Its great how it blends with Roon library but also confusing.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:17 pm »
Certainly lots of music available. What about sound quality ? Do they upsample 44.1 to 24/192 ? Is the Hi Rez music recorded in DSD or upsampled ? For me it is about quality of sound not unlimited music.
I have yet to hear any streamer sound better than a dedicated transport and DAC playing a CD or SACD [ recorded orig in DSD ]. Is it just me or do I have company ? I use a state of the art server, transport and DAC.

charles
[/quote

Kinda off topic

guf

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:20 pm »

charles
I like to use streaming services to discover new music then possibly purchase if I love it.  I look at this as a better option than spotify.  I have never ran spotify through any thing other than my phone and bluetooth speaker at work.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:47 pm »

charles
[/quote

Kinda off topic

Why is sound quality and format used off topic ?
charles

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:02 pm »
Charles appears to be indicating that he feels that streaming music is doomed to failure in his system due to his extremely fine equipment and his discerning ear. So be it. He already knows, without a listen, that it can't meet his standards. So be it.

I'm happy as hell myself. Living room holds my OPPO Sonica DAC running directly into a Crown XLS-1500 driving my big horns. Second system in TV room comprised of OPPO UDP 205 directly driving JBL 705P from a 10 year old Imac. Amazing performance level considering cost of components and simplicity of set up. Both systems are stereo. Both systems are being fed by Tidal HiFi.

Now the question: Will I be able to access Qobuz with this gear?

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:11 pm »
So I checked out Quboz in my big rig streaming hirez through my Klipsch Gate and in my desktop system straming through my Paradigm PW amp. Setup was a breeze, sign up for an account at quboz, open the DTS-Play Fi app on my tablet, select the "critical listening" mode and the select quboz music service. After entering my password quboz had some suggested selections on the home page. I checked out Norah Jones and Elvis Costello in 24/192 and whoaaa, it sounded brilliant. Next I searched for some redbook tracks and listened to Michael Franks new album, The Music in My Head. I went back and forth between quboz and Tidal and Quboz had the edge in redbook streams in my system. The bass extended a little lower with slightly better dynamics, percussion instruments had their own space in the soundstage and were lifted more distinctly in the mix and voices seemed to have a little more air and clarity.

I checked out The White Album 2018 mix in 24/192 and The Chicago II mix by Stewve Wilson in 24/182. Both sounded fantastic.

Having just setup my home using the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem every component is rez capable from the ground up. Couldn't have been more economical and easier to incorporate a hi rez, whole house, system.

The Klipsch Gate at $30 on Amazon sounds fantastic streaming hirez from Quboz. Just plug it into your current preamp to get started. Here is Quboz's review:

https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/klipsch-gate-a-streamer-with-great179353

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:27 pm »
Charles appears to be indicating that he feels that streaming music is doomed to failure in his system due to his extremely fine equipment and his discerning ear. So be it. He already knows, without a listen, that it can't meet his standards. So be it.

I'm happy as hell myself. Living room holds my OPPO Sonica DAC running directly into a Crown XLS-1500 driving my big horns. Second system in TV room comprised of OPPO UDP 205 directly driving JBL 705P from a 10 year old Imac. Amazing performance level considering cost of components and simplicity of set up. Both systems are stereo. Both systems are being fed by Tidal HiFi.

Now the question: Will I be able to access Qobuz with this gear?

Short answer is yes, I would recommend the Paradigm PW Link using the digital out into your oppo sonica dac or your Oppo. You get access to Quboz plus every other streaming service and file in your network. More importantly you get the ARC room correction and it is a game changer IMO.

https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-link

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:30 pm »

charles

IMO you might want to use Quboz to try new tracks and then they give you the option to purchase for download to your SOA server.

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:31 pm »
Spotify is not nervous.  Its still better then everything else, it just does not have HiRes or Roon integration.  I imagine they don't even take Roons calls. If Spotify had those things I would switch in a heartbeat.

80% of the US doesn't even know what "hirez" is and are happy with MP3. They make buying decisions based on price and convenience.

A_shah

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2019, 05:20 am »
80% of the US doesn't even know what "hirez" is and are happy with MP3. They make buying decisions based on price and convenience.

Have been using Beta  Qobuz since last November 2018  Courtesy Quboz/David Soloman . When it comes to  classical music the Hi-Rez sounds wonderful , you can get 24bit/192 Khz however it is pretty expensive $ 35.00 for studio version a month  for sublime $ 299.00 a year  between Qobuz & tidal I seem to find Tidal a  bit mellow & Meater , Qobuz seems to sound analytical even with high end DAC's.
I think when I signed up I was been charged in British Currency ! via apple store !  I need to send them an email it seems now for US residents it is $ 24.99 for studio ! :popcorn:

Asghar

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2019, 10:10 am »
Interesting...I'm late to the party but it's nice to see that Qobuz has made it to shore. For a good decade, my small town could only support low bandwidth service, ie 10 MBPS download speeds and 1 MBPS upload! Not anymore! Cable and fiberoptic is here and for the past 2 weeks, my max download speed is 94 MBPS. Totally different world and now I can look into such things as Tidal, Qobuz, etc...

Thanks for the info fellas!

Best,
Anand.

jMelvin

« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:01 pm »
Signed up yesterday. I'm streaming via mconnect/microRendu and so far it sounds wonderful.