SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2017, 02:59 am »
Enjoyed my time listening to them with familiar tracks.

If I remember they were about $9600 as well as previously stated. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:04 pm »
Can't wait to get more details on these.

Any other RMAF impressions folks can share too?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:10 pm »
Can't wait to get more details on these.

Any other RMAF impressions folks can share too?

Clayton is driving his van back to Salt Lake City, and probably needs a few days to catch up and recoup from the show.  But this
is what was on the room equipment list for the X2:

Spatial Audio X2 Modular Loudspeakers (www.spatialaudio.us)

The Spatial X2 extend the boundaries of open baffle design by using a time-coherent, horn loaded Air Motion (AMT) driver that reproduces the entire audio spectrum starting at 800Hz.  A state-of-the-art, 15-inch Acoustic Elegance woofer with 40 lb Lambda Motor assembly provides precise and impactful low frequency detail down to a subsonic 18Hz.  The X2 employs a passive crossover and both drivers are mounted to a very stable, low resonance baffle system ensuring that driver motion is converted directly into sound waves rather than chassis vibration. 

Made in the USA.   $9,620 per pair (black, white, or red)

Vinnie

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:38 pm »
Clayton is driving his van back to Salt Lake City, and probably needs a few days to catch up and recoup from the show.  But this
is what was on the room equipment list for the X2:

The Spatial X2 extend the boundaries of open baffle design by using a time-coherent, horn loaded Air Motion (AMT) driver that reproduces the entire audio spectrum starting at 800Hz.  A state-of-the-art, 15-inch Acoustic Elegance woofer with 40 lb Lambda Motor assembly provides precise and impactful low frequency detail down to a subsonic 18Hz.  The X2 employs a passive crossover and both drivers are mounted to a very stable, low resonance baffle system ensuring that driver motion is converted directly into sound waves rather than chassis vibration. 

Made in the USA.   $9,620 per pair (black, white, or red)
Vinnie

As a DIY guy and a pretty hardcore long term audiophile, I've heard just about every tweeter out there.  The AMT, when implemented correctly, is easily the best tweeter out there.  Although "tweeter" is maybe a misnomer because it plays down so far into the midrange.  Maybe "mid-high" driver is a better term.   Anyway, it's a difficult driver to work with, which is why you might not have heard what it's capable of in other designs. 

In the X2, Clayton just nailed it.  The whole speaker is lively, super dynamic, ultimate see-through transparency, HUGE soundstage, percussive bass, no room boom at all, just clean precise driving bass.  And smooooooottthhhhhh.  Could have listened to that system all day.  That statement is only true of maybe 3 or 4 systems at all of RMAF.  And none of the other systems had the dynamics, transparency or open-ness of the Rossi/Spatial room.  My only small nit is that they are short.  I like to look up at the performers, so some stands to raise them up a bit would have been cool.  But given the overwhelming awesomeness in every other category, that's just nit-picking. 

As a side note, I wanted to point out a certain parallel I've seen between Vinnie and Clayton.  We heard Vinnie's room for several years back when it was Red Wine Audio.  The rooms were always good, but not great.  We liked, rather than loved his stuff.  But then he created Vinnie Rossi Audio and came out with the LIO, which was a massive step up in sound quality and truly a game-changer.

IMO, Clayton has been on a similar path - when he started out with Spatial we heard his room every year and it was good, but not great.  We liked his stuff rather than loved it.  This year he comes out with the X2 and it's such a massive step up that it's crushing and putting to shame all the other "giant" speaker companies out there.  Here's how good it is.  A friend of mine hates OB speakers and would never, ever buy a pair because he just prefers the way box speakers sound.  This show he grudgingly admitted that the X2's "sounded pretty good".  Trust me, if the X2 can start to bring around this curmudgeonly OB hater, it shows that they are performing at a level higher than any other OB out there (and I include Linkwitz OBs in that statement as I have heard every iteration and they are none of them at this level).

So hopefully this gives people a little better idea of the level of achievement here. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2017, 05:46 pm »
Trust me, if the X2 can start to bring around this curmudgeonly OB hater, it shows that they are performing at a level higher than any other OB out there (and I include Linkwitz OBs in that statement as I have heard every iteration and they are none of them at this level).
Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison.
The latest Linkwitz (LX?) design seems to be a full ranged dipolar.
Tough to judge from the pics here, but the planar appears to have felt or some sort of covering on rear, perhaps the back cup removed?
That would make these more monopole, maybe a touch or cardioid at lower end of planar, with dipolar bass. Unless of course I'm blind and that's a full dipole planar pictured.

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2017, 05:59 pm »
Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison.
The latest Linkwitz (LX?) design seems to be a full ranged dipolar.
Tough to judge from the pics here, but the planar appears to have felt or some sort of covering on rear, perhaps the back cup removed?
That would make these more monopole, maybe a touch or cardioid at lower end of planar, with dipolar bass. Unless of course I'm blind and that's a full dipole planar pictured.

I believe you are right.  In fact I only bring up Linkwitz because it's such a well recognized name.  In truth I never found his speakers to be all that good, without regard to design type.  And I say that as someone that loves OB and runs full OB at home (Serenity Acoustic Super 7s). 

Ultimately, at the end of the day, I don't actually care about design details.  I care about what it sounds like.  So I'll reiterate - the X2s sound amazing.  Throw it up against a box speaker, a full OB speaker or some type of hybrid, and I'd still pick the X2 over everything I heard at the last couple of RMAFs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2017, 08:24 pm »
Looking at the AMT driver, the ones with material on the back have been dipoles.  Usually they have metal backs when sealed.  I have a few here like that, without the horn.

Pretty sure Clayton said they were dipoles. 

Spatial Audio

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2017, 08:27 pm »
The felt covering on the back of the AMT is to provide an degree of loading. Sound still comes through it clearly. Technically, it would be considered Cardiod, since the front is horn loaded and the back is not.

Clayton

Tyson

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2017, 08:38 pm »
There is something magical about open baffle speakers that are highly directional.  You end up with clear, precise images combined with a huge soundstage.  Which is exactly what the X2's did at RMAF. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:09 pm »
And the "modular" part of the X2? Can we get details on that?

As a DEQX owner I'd love an active option. Though I guess that might just  be disconnecting the passive crossover and adjusting the crossover and EQ with the DEQX.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:15 pm »
There is something magical about open baffle speakers that are highly directional.  You end up with clear, precise images combined with a huge soundstage.

The wave guide works wonders with a point source, plus it really marginalizes room interaction. Set up is critical though. My speakers are elevated and spread wide apart, the result is a most life like soundstage with spectacular imaging; which is about to get even better with my new ancillaries.  :thumb:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:19 pm »
And the "modular" part of the X2? Can we get details on that?

As a DEQX owner I'd love an active option. Though I guess that might just  be disconnecting the passive crossover and adjusting the crossover and EQ with the DEQX.

If you want to go active, you can just undo the driver leads and leave the passive crossover intact. Very easy.

Clayton

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:31 pm »
The wave guide works wonders with a point source, plus it really marginalizes room interaction. Set up is critical though. My speakers are elevated and spread wide apart, the result is a most life like soundstage with spectacular imaging; which is about to get even better with my new ancillaries.  :thumb:

Big wave guide fan here too. I've got some SP Techs, with transmission line for the bass. Love that low crossover point that the waveguide can enable. And if this design is able to reach low and provide some real oomph and impact, that is very exciting!

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:32 pm »
If you want to go active, you can just undo the driver leads and leave the passive crossover intact. Very easy.

Clayton

My, that is easy! Very exciting speaker.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:35 pm »
Big wave guide fan here too. I've got some SP Techs, with transmission line for the bass. Love that low crossover point that the waveguide can enable. And if this design is able to reach low and provide some real oomph and impact, that is very exciting!

Yes, the X2 goes low. The -3dB point is 18Hz

Clayton

spotlightaudio

« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:17 pm »
Hi Clayton, do you have photos showing the X2 in white? With and wo grills. Thanks

roscoeiii

« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:21 pm »
Yes, the X2 goes low. The -3dB point is 18Hz

Clayton

That must be one helluva woofer!

And congrats on all the great feedback you're getting!

Spatial Audio

« Reply #37 on: 14 Oct 2017, 02:06 am »
Hi Clayton, do you have photos showing the X2 in white? With and wo grills. Thanks

Yes, I will have pics of the X2 in white to post next week. They look super cool in white.

Clayton

jpm

« Reply #38 on: 14 Oct 2017, 04:58 am »
If anyone has heard both the X1 and X2, how does they compare to each other?  What were the design objectives for each one?

nature boy

« Reply #39 on: 14 Oct 2017, 01:06 pm »
Hello Clayton,

Will you have X2's with Vinnie's amp at Capital Audio Fest in November by any chance?

NB