Audio Afternoon and Movie Nite at Binger's, Nov. 11th 2018

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
Ok, fellow audio geeks and music lover's.  I promised an Open House in October, but got too busy !  This is what I've got planned instead.

Start at 2:00 PM and have music in both the Man-Cave (now the Cloud Lounge) and the Home Theater (Multi-Channel) until 6:00 PM

Home Theater presents the 50th Anniversary 4K disc of 2001: A Space Odyssey from 6:00 PM until 8:30 PM  I have a new Sony native 4K projector and a terrific 5.1 sound system to make this a special experience......

I also have the PassDIY / Sony VFET amp and a new PassDIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo amp finished and available for audition and for youse guys and gals to BORROW if you like.  Music in the Cloud Lounge until you get tired of it !!

Junk food, beer, scotch, soft drinks and Carroll Shelby Texas Chili served.  Potluck Welcome.

RSVP by Nov. 4th so I have enough goodies !!

daves

Re: Audio Afternoon and Movie Nite at Binger's, Nov. 11th 2018
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2018, 03:39 pm »
Don, Liam and I will be there after his bowling tournament down in Imperial.

mjmsound

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:08 pm »
I will do my best to be there.

popthinker

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2018, 05:31 am »
I'd love to come. I realize this is heresy, but I've never seen 2001.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2018, 03:00 am »
2001 A Space Odyssey is a classic - you'll love it.  At the time, the behavior of the HAL 9000 spacecraft central computer seemed a little "out there" but with the coming advent of AI, both Clark and Kubrick were prescient WRT to both the benefits and the risks of machine intelligence. 

They rest of the movie has also aged pretty well, and the special effects are spectacular - money was no object and they didn't have CGI to fall back on.  Only highly crafted models and great cinematography.  The score is wonderful also - Strauss, Khachaturian, Ligeti, etc.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:33 am »

OK, music fans and science fiction movie buffs.  The 50th Anniversary of 2001 has arrived - in 4k with HDR no less.  Audio Afternoon and Movie Nite are on for Sunday, Nov. 11th, and you are all invited.  Music starts at 2 pm in my Man-Cave (both the Cloud Lounge and the Home Theater), and then at 6 pm we'll start the movie.  It runs about 2 1/2 hours. I will also have the Sony / Pass VFET amp up and running the Spendor SP-1's and the Meridian / BAT / Vandersteen 5.1 system up spinning vinyl and silver discs.

Beer, Scotch, soft drinks, junk food, desserts and chili provided.

Please PM me if you are planning to attend so that I can assure adequate provisions.  I will also provide location and contact information so you don't got lost in the wilds of West County.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2018, 09:36 pm »
Hi, Guys - I'm bumping this because I haven't heard from many of you.  Please send a PM if you would like to attend.  I will send back address, phone #, etc. in the event your GPS / Navigator gets jammed by the Russians or goes "full HAL 9000" on you in route.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
EMERGENCY: Skunk Attack !!
« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2018, 09:18 pm »
Fellow Audiophiles and Movie Lovers - I regretfully have to CANCEL the planned Sunday Audio Afternoon and Movie Nite for this weekend, Nov. 11th. My beloved little Scottish Terriers discovered and attacked a skunk in my back yard Monday nite and one of them was sprayed.  They then had the temerity to run back into my house through their dog door and the smelly one proceeded to rub his furry little body on whatever he could to attempt to escape the funk.  It smelled like the Police tossed a tear gas canister in the back door - unbelievable. 

The fact that God created a creature that can metabolize every molecule of sulfur that goes into mouth and spray it out its a$$hole at the slightest provocation, and then put a warning stripe on it, is evidence of a wicked sense of divine humor.

In any case, we are slowly recovering - but progress is halting.  It still smells somewhat like Dante's Inferno here.  Augie, (the dumb one who positioned himself on the 6 O'Clock position of said vermin), has been washed (twice) with hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn detergent and smells somewhat better.  (Fortunately he didn't get hit in the eyes.)  The house is still pretty smelly. 

I will not subject you to this odious funk until we get it cleaned up, hopefully before year end.  In the meantime, please attend Blackmore’s St. Louis Wind Symphony concert.  It will sound just as good and smell much better over at the Kirkwood High School Performance Center.

THE ST. LOUIS WIND SYMPHONY
2018-2019 – 21st SEASON
“MUSIC WE’VE MISSED” ADDING GREAT WIND MUSIC TO OUR REPERTOIRE!
~ ~ SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11 – 3:00 PM ~ ~
Thomas N. Keating Performance Center Theatre, Kirkwood High School, 801 W. Essex

Nitro! – Frank Ticheli
Lark in the Clear Air – Clifton Taylor
Suite from Mass – Leonard Bernstein
Valdres March – Johannes Hanssen
Fantasies on a Theme by Haydn – Arr. Norman Dello Joio
Handel in the Strand – Percy Grainger
Crown Imperial March – William Walton
Salute to Veterans

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2018, 09:53 pm »
Sorry for the skunk episode and thanks for the plug.  I am free on some Sundays after this weekend so I'm hoping to make your rescheduled listening/viewing session

Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:32 am »
Holy cow!!!!  :o

Don, I own an ozone generation machine that will help neutralize the airborne funk that resides within your walls.
The risk of suffocation and death are within the realm of possibilities with this unit while it is running, so....
Don't run it while you're sleeping without sealing off the 'infected' rooms.
Say the word, and it's yours to borrow.

daves

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2018, 01:31 pm »
Don, be careful with the O3 generator. No dogs or people allowed in the house while it is running, and Leave at least half an hour to an hour after shutdown before reentry, with windows open to exchange air, before you or the dogs go back in.

I would go out and get charcoal/hepa filters, and run them around the clock. Murphy’s oil soap does a decent job  masking the mercaptan odor as well.

There is no single magic bullet, but be real judicious with the O3 generator. It works well, but. For people with allergies, asthma, and older folks, it can be a little debilitating in the short term if you get a triggering exposure.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2018, 02:12 pm »
Oh, absolutely Dave.
If Don takes me up on the offer, I'll be sure to explain all the death that surrounds the machine and its use.  :lol:

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2018, 05:02 pm »
Yikes! As an owner of 2 crazy dogs who also love to get all muddy and gross outside and spread it around on everything when they come in...that sucks. Thank god I've never seen a skunk in the City [knocks on wood]

Best of luck with your house deodorization efforts. I'd offer my tidbit of advice but it sounds like you're already doing as much as you can.

Hopefully I can make the rescheduled event. I too have never seen 2001 but I'd definitely like to, especially in 4K surround! I vote for rescheduling it on a Saturday over a Sunday if possible.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2018, 09:19 pm »
Thanks for all the help - we are doing better.  Three days of just leaving the windows open seems to be working - that and this mystical enzymatic stuff they sell at Petsmart for $20+ a bottle.  We should be stink-free in another few days. 

The dogs are fine too.  I will probably bath them again this weekend.  They keep bringing stink in from the backyard.  The skunk blasted a couple bushes and my back wood fence - you can still smell that pungent odor pretty strongly in the area of the confrontation after almost a week.  He must have been saving up his best stuff !

justauby

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2018, 10:03 pm »
Hey done good hanging out with u today.  Let me know if you reschedule your viewing