$500ish phono preamp advice needed.

Wasabi

$500ish phono preamp advice needed.
« on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:37 pm »
I’m getting back into vinyl after many years and am setting up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit with my KEF LS50 Wireless speakers and need a phono preamp. Currently it has the Ortofon Red cartridge in it but I’ll probably upgrade that to Blue or Bronze eventually. I’ll most likely upgrade the turntable as well to something like a Pioneer PLX-1000.

What’s a good new/used $500ish preamp to grow with? I’m mainly looking at the Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 or DS and Jolida JD9. I also spotted a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ here.

Thanks for any input.

Funnehaha

Re: $500ish phono preamp advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2018, 10:57 pm »
I use an Audio-Technica micro-ridge MM with my PLX-1000. I would recommend trying the Van Alstine phono preamp.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2018, 11:14 pm »
Jolida was the best option of many that I tried.  Also like Graham Slee.  Lots of used ones out there for under your budget. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm »
Not a lot of experience with varied phono pre-s, but have been very happy with Frank's units at AVA for some years. He has one of his latest ones ready to go now here  https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/vision-q-phono-preamplifier  Works with either MM or MC.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2018, 11:28 pm »
I have been very pleased with this: https://www.needledoctor.com/Creek-OBH-15-MKII-Phono-Preamp
Using it with Ortofon 2M Black.

Wasabi

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2018, 12:39 am »
Thanks everyone,

Great suggestions. The one thing steering me from the Jolida is that the good part it seems like a hobby pre to tweak with but that's also the bad part for me now. I'm not looking to to too much to this pre now. Set it up and listen. No thoughts on the Pro-Ject tube offerings?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2018, 01:45 am »
I would get a warmer sounding phono pre if you are going to use the 2M Red or Blue cartridges.

You may want to consider this Lounge Audi phono pre that stereophile raved about earlier in the year.  I have a friend that bought one and loves it.  AVA HiFi has a fabulous phono pre for about $500.  Some one at the Needle Doctor said it is better than any of the sub $1K phono pre's that they sell.  The ND sells the AVA phono pre.  But Frank has a 30 day money back guaranty.
It is very neutral sounding.

http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2018, 01:57 am »
Lounge or Bottlehead I guess. The Bottlehead is DIY.

Wasabi

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2018, 10:27 am »
I've read the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII is a nice sounding preamp but have seen some average reviews too. How's the build quality?

Thanks again for the excellent input.

beeah

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2018, 03:21 pm »
I have Jim Hagerman's Bugle (the original kit + PS) with non-stock opamps and it sounds fantastic.

While I have not heard it, his now plug-n-play Cornet would easily and significantly surpass it:

https://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/cornet3

Flyin_V

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:35 pm »
Right here on AC is Vista Audio with their Phono 2 @ $399. The gain is adjustable from 40-70 db so you're not limited to a high output cartridge.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149034.0

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:50 pm »
+1 on the Vista.

I have owned it, as have a few of my buddies.   It is a worthy contender at it's price, and I would argue, even much higher.

As is the Parks Audio Budgie.

Edit:   I see the Budgie is now discontinued and he offers a different model which I can't comment on.

md92468

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:52 pm »
Big fan of the Lounge, and to answer your question the build quality is exceptional for this price point. Hard to imagining doing much better for the money...

FWIW, I found it much more satisfying (more weight, more dimensional sound stage, more realistic timbre) than the Budgie or Hagerman Cornet (v.3) that I heard in my system – though I did not do much tube rolling with either. YMMV, of course...

who?me?

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:57 pm »
I have a Lehmann Black Cube SE that I'm very happy with -
Made in Germany, high quality: accurate, clean, fast, dynamic.

Check out the Lehmann phono's - they have a range of prices, within your price range.
As usual: I suggest you buy used: best bang for buck.
Again, made in Germany= high quality.

Oh, and the Ortofon 2m Red is great for price, there was a lot of hype about this cartridge a few years ago.
I use a 2m Blue, and honestly, it outperforms the 2m Red by 100-200% for an extra $125.
I use the Blue on a vintage Marantz TT. I use the Black Quintet on the big rig with the Lehmann.
best.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2018, 09:08 pm »
I have a Lehmann Black Cube SE that I'm very happy with -
Made in Germany, high quality: accurate, clean, fast, dynamic.

Check out the Lehmann phono's - they have a range of prices, within your price range.
As usual: I suggest you buy used: best bang for buck.
Again, made in Germany= high quality.

Oh, and the Ortofon 2m Red is great for price, there was a lot of hype about this cartridge a few years ago.
I use a 2m Blue, and honestly, it outperforms the 2m Red by 100-200% for an extra $125.
I use the Blue on a vintage Marantz TT. I use the Black Quintet on the big rig with the Lehmann.
best.

Yes there was a lot of hype a few years ago on the 2M Red.  I found it to be fairly musical and dynamic but it is bright and noisy with some grain.  The 2M blue is smoother for sure but it is unforgiving of poor recordings and can lean to the bright side.  It also picks up surface noise.  For a budget cartridge, I would rather have a Nagaoka MP-110 which is smooth, a little warmer with very good bass and a more music and organic mid range.  I own a Nagaoka MP-200 and an MP-150 and love both.  But as usual, YMMV when it comes to anything in audio.

Funnehaha

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2018, 10:10 pm »
  When I bought my Pioneer PLX-1000, I had an Ortophon 2M Red put on it. One of my reference LPs is an Emitt Rhodes album. He played all the instruments on it and recorded everything very simply. At one point in a song, he was singing and playing guitar and his left hand went up the neck, with his fingers "scraping" the strings. I could not hear the "scritch" sound of his hand on the strings as he did that. I put the album on my Sota Sapphire with the AT OC9 MC on it and played the same passage. The "scritch" was easily audible.

I removed the Ortophon cartridge from the PLX-1000 tonearm and went to the Needle Doctor and bought an AT micro-ridge MM. I forget the name but it was not very expensive. I put it on the PLX-1000 and redid the test. The "scritch" was now easily audible, thank the gods of hifi.

I gave the Ortophon cartridge to a buddy of mine, who perhaps is less analytical when listening to music. The cartridge made all the difference.

stonedeaf

« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2018, 03:31 am »
Own and use 2 Lounge Audio LCR-III ( and a single Copla MC headamp) - the 47kOhm input unit is pretty much dedicated to the table with a London Gold cart - the 100kOhm/47pf input LCR III  is what I use mostly for the (older or classic?) Audio technica carts. I have several Ifi iPhono's and a Schiit Mani - and my favorite bang for the $ Art DJ Pre II -have gone thru a bunch of older phono pre-amps used as outboard phono sections -but- Something about the LCR III is just effortlessly "right" to my old nun handles ? I do have and thoroughly enjoy a phono pre-amp that IMO is even better - the Parasound JC-3 jr - but depending on what cart you're using - this is three to 5 X the $'s of the Lounge Audio -you've got to own a lot of vinyl to justify that difference in price.

soulforged

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2018, 02:15 pm »
+1 on Lehmann Audio. I have been using their products for a few years and they provide a great bang for the buck. In fact I have a Black Cube with me that I could let go if you are interested.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2018, 03:35 pm »
Right here on AC is Vista Audio with their Phono 2 @ $399. The gain is adjustable from 40-70 db so you're not limited to a high output cartridge.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149034.0

Impossible to beat for the money. Use one with my mono set up. Can be adjusted to suit any cart. talk to Boris.

charles