Hello from Brooklyn - and cartridge mount help

Ziva

Hello from Brooklyn - and cartridge mount help
« on: 27 Apr 2016, 12:18 am »
Excited to join this group's audio journey. 

I've had a 2 channel set up for about 6 years, and got into headphone listening in the last few years.  There's nothing quite as moving as well produced music.  I look forward to participating.

I confess to a selfish reason for joining, as well.  I recently bought a Soundsmith Boheme cartridge for my Acoustic Signature Challenger table (w/ Rega 250 tonearm) and have had trouble finding local options to mount the cartridge.   I've heard they are a little tricky, and given the investment, I would like to make sure to do it right.  This forum came recommended. 

I live in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.  I would be enormously grateful if anybody has a suggestion. 

Thanks much, and nice to meet you all. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn - and cartridge mount help
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2016, 12:28 am »
Welcome Ziva :thumb:
This topic was moved to Vinyl Circle where vinyl fans will help you.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2016, 12:33 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ziva  :thumb:  I'm sure you'll find some folks to help with your question. You might also start a thread over in the Vinyl Circle, it may get even better viewing & response there.  8)

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:08 am »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Ziva

Guy 13

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:16 am »
Courage Ziva, courage!  You can do it.  Are you inexperienced in cartridge mounting in general, or is it just the Soundsmith you're puzzled about?

Ziva

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:41 am »
Thanks all...  Yeah, I'm  inexperienced in general and afraid to make my first foray into cartridge mounting with this one...

md92468

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2016, 02:43 am »
I live in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.  I would be enormously grateful if anybody has a suggestion. 

Michael Trei is the no-brainer choice if you're looking for TT set up in NYC. Turntable savant, not outrageous in his rates, good guy, will come to your place. He's worked on some heavy-duty systems, as well as my own far more modest vintage AR rig. PM me for his email address.

~ Matt

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2016, 02:58 am »
There are several tutorials on the net, and the Rega arm doesn't have azimuth adjustment so you just need zenith and overhang.  These are easily solved by printing out an arc protractor from Conrad Hoffman's web site.  READ the tutorial.  Use heavy paper, photo paper is best.  Check that the scale is correct using the measurement guide on the edge of the paper.  Get a cheap electronic VTF gauge from Dealtime.  Search web sites like this one for threads on cartridge mounting.  Buy a cheap cartridge to practice with.  You can do it.

Or just call the guy in the above thread.

brooklyn

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2016, 04:23 am »

charmerci