Setting anti-skate with headphones, what do you listen for?

dkd7

I have read to set the AS is so that the cart maintains a steady position while the platter is rotating, others mention that they set it by listening through headphones.

For those that perform this with headphones, what are you listening for and what are the perceivable changes when adjusting?

While on this topic, does anyone also set VTA with headphones and what are the same distinctions that are audible while adjusting?

I feel I have mine set at or very near where it should be but would like to compare notes. I could be totaly off but i'm curious to know how others perform these tasks that are veterans at it.

J-Pak

Re: Setting anti-skate with headphones, what do you listen for?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:24 pm »
I personally listen for distortion or breakup during dynamic segments. Easy to hear for me on 45 rpm jazz reissue records like Miles Davis Relaxin or Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane (same album name).

If AS is biased too far in one direction distortion will be more prominent on one channel. If the AS is biased too far in the other the distortion will be in the other.

If I have the cart set so it can track side 2 of the Hifi News Producers Cut Test Record it's usually a pretty good indicator if AS has been properly set for me. I use the test record first then listen to my hard to track music records mentioned above.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:30 pm »
Anti skate can be set by ear. I would think it is the same with headphones as speakers. Here's the process ...

Find a record with some vocals and some decent dynamics. Then set the force to zero. This works best with someone helping you, but you can do it yourself if you're patient.

Listen to both channel and you should hear one of them almost lower in dynamic volume than the left (a bit recessed). Slowly turn the tracking force up, I mean very slowly a wee bit at a time. Eventually you should start to hear the low channel coming up and getting closer to what the other channel is producing dynamically. Then as you get higher you should hear both channels sounding more dynamic and just better and better. Move the anti-skate up very slowly now.

At last you will hear a fairly dramatic drop off int he quality of both channels. You have now gone a wee bit too far. Back it off a notch and you have optomized your anti-skate.

Enjoy,
Bob

dkd7

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:33 am »
Thanks, I will try this again but after I get the TT in a more suitable location.