Check out my O-3 Kit

blazin

Check out my O-3 Kit
« on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:03 am »
These are a set of 0-3's that I built from Danny's kit.They are solid MDF construction per Danny's instructions/plans and then to SPICE things up they have SOLID joined Black Walnut baffles and bases.The sides/back are a textured black.I opted for the ports in the front as I think it adds a lot to the look of the speaker.These sound amazing like everyone says that has heard the speaker.In my particular situation I just can't seem to get them to do what I want.I am very limited on my placement and the room is an odd shape so I am inclined to sell these and move on.It was a fun project and I learned some things in the process which is always a positive.These have the XBL-2 rear drivers and "No-Res" upgrades.I am looking for $1500 obo.I am not looking to ship these as they are HEAVY.I am located in Charleston, S, Carolina if interested...Please contact me at tylerch1@yahoo.com

Danny Richie

Re: Check out my O-3 Kit
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2008, 02:22 am »
Wow, those look great, but what is it that you are wanting them to do that they are not? Is this a room related problem?

klh

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:35 am »
Great job! They look fantastic :D.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:41 am »
I'm totally diggin the look of those baffles and plinths ... very classy and contemporary looking.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:42 am »
How do they compare to your Acoustats?

blazin

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:56 am »
Thanks....I have a couple issues.One is the room they are in is a multi purpose room and I need to move the speakers each time I listen.With the combined weight and the spikes on carpet it can be a PITA to reposition them each time.They are also in corners of the room and I just can't give them the proper spacing around all sides.I am getting loading in the corners but when I treat heavily enough to cure the loading I feel like I am loosing some imaging width and detail in the sound.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:55 pm »
Yea, I guess those room related issues are not easy to fix, and I can see how moving these every time you listen to them to be a real pain.

If you like the sound of these then you can get real close to this sound with one of our new kits. See Neo-2X, Neo-1X, and Neo-1 kits here in my forum.

The Neo-2X is a sealed box design and might solve some of the bass issues that you have with your room. See it here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54382.0

You could then add a single Direct Servo sub and have a full range system. It is completely tunable for your room as well.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:31 pm »
Hey Tyler,

Those 0-3's look great and Black Walnut is one of my favorite woods.  I have an entire dinning room set in Black Walnut.

Why do you have them pulled so far into the room?  With the ports in the front, you should be able to have them closer to the rear wall.  Or, is it because the drivers are on top, which requires the need for excessive amounts of distance from ALL walls ? 

As far as moving them around, have you ever thought of decoupling them and putting them on a moveable platform?  I have done this to two sets of my speakers and it makes moving them very easy.  If my application, I have used two ceramic tiles held together (glazed sides out) by roofing seal tape.  The roofing tape makes the tiles dead quiet and free of vibration when tapped by a screw driver.  They are almost resonant free too (I'm sure it resonates but it must be at a pretty low frequency since I don't hear it).  Another friend used Maple cutting boards and stuck those peel and stick vinyl tiles to the bottom.  He said he polished the vinyl tile with some Pledge furniture spray to make them slide even better.

Lou

blazin

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2008, 04:28 pm »
So anyone interested?