Big 7 / DSD / jriver

dminches

Big 7 / DSD / jriver
« on: 23 Nov 2016, 01:36 pm »
Regarding using jriver to upconvert to DSD with my big 7, which driver I should select (I am using combo384 ASIO) and which output format I should select?  I think my unit does DSD 128 which means I should select 2xDSD in either DoP or native format?

Since my unit does not have the R2R upgrade it seems like I should upconvert to DSD.

sfox7076

Re: Big 7 / DSD / jriver
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2016, 06:52 pm »
Use 2x DSD and native format. 

speshal

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2016, 03:56 am »
You can do it that way.  It works fine with my Big 7 Balance with that configuration, but I may be a contrarian here.  I actually recommend most people use the bit perfect PCM versus upsampling/converting to DSD. 

I've blind tested both and sound-wise they are virtually identical on everything I've played.  I've also run server processor tests and the PCM bit perfect requires far less processing power.  Depending on your server/PC setup, you might get skips or dropouts with the DSD conversion if you try to do anything else on your pc/server while playing jriver.

Thus, my "general" recommendation is to go with PCM for virtually identical performance with almost no risk of over-taxing your server. 

The great thing is that you can do it either way and swap back and forth relatively easy, so there's really no reason not to try for yourself and pick whatever works best for you.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:12 am »
Thanks for your response.  Fred basically said the same thing you did.

Part of the reason I was considering doing this is so I don't have to switch the playback option on the Big 7 when I go from DSD to PCM, or vice versa.