Ayon Skylla

KingStyles

Ayon Skylla
« on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:26 am »
Is the I2S output on the usb pacecar compatible with the Ayon Skylla dac I2S input? Would it require the 5v upgrade and would it use the normal I2S cable? Thanks

audioengr

Re: Ayon Skylla
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:16 pm »
Is the I2S output on the usb pacecar compatible with the Ayon Skylla dac I2S input? Would it require the 5v upgrade and would it use the normal I2S cable? Thanks

I'm not familiar with this DAC.  This information is either in the specs or you can ask the manufacturer.

Steve N.

KingStyles

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:45 pm »
What is the difference between the normal I2S cable and the reversed one?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:32 pm »
What is the difference between the normal I2S cable and the reversed one?

Normal - pin1 goes to pin1, etc..

Reversed - pin 1 goes to pin 8, pin 2 goes to pin 7 etc..

Steve N.

KingStyles

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:23 pm »
Just for follow up on this, this is what ayon had to say about there I2S input

The I2S input can compatible both 3.3V and 5V interface, you can use the
regular cable on Skylla to match the CD-5, but if you use other product to
connect the Skylla or CD-5, you have to adjust perhaps the cable by skylla's
schematic to do the one-to-one correspondence, but normally it is not need,
sometime reverse only, but even this is very rare.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:51 pm »
Just for follow up on this, this is what ayon had to say about there I2S input

appears that you need to request that schematic page from them.

Steve N.

msb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2010, 09:28 am »
Hi KingStyles,

Were you able to figure out the I2S connections for the Skylla and what were the results?

KingStyles

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:45 am »
I have this schematic for the i2s input for the skylla. Would I be able to hook up an offramp 4 and what cable (regular or reversed) and power option (3.3 or 5)?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:01 pm »
I have this schematic for the i2s input for the skylla. Would I be able to hook up an offramp 4 and what cable (regular or reversed) and power option (3.3 or 5)?

Yes, I can configure it for the Skylla.  What connector is used for I2S?

I would have to order a custom cable from Revelation Audio Labs.

Steve N.

KingStyles

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:09 pm »
It used a standard rj45.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2011, 05:03 pm »
Update:

I received a Skylla to test the I2S interface with.

I opened it up and discovered some things:

1) the I2S instead to going dirrectly to the D/A chip, goes first to a resampler chip.  This makes I2S less interesting on this DAC.

2) the signals were traced to the resampler (SRC4193) and the pinout above is correct.

Whe I drive the I2S input with valid I2S or Left Justified signals, I get noise from the analog outputs with I2S and nothing with Left Justified.  These were both verified with a S/PDIF CODEC to work properly.  The signals all had good signal integrity and valid timing at the resampler chip.

When the DAC is in USB input mode, the signals at the resampler chip appear to have the same timing as Left Justified, so this is why I tried LJ on I2S input.  The same signal path is used for both USB and I2S.

Repeated attempts to get assistance from Ayon were fruitless.  They dont return my emails.  Through another customer, they claimed that a Northstar transport could drive it directly with a standard ethernet cable.  Impossible.  The signals would be crossed.

As a result, I have abandoned this so-called I2S interface.  I dont believe it meets the I2S specs.

The customer is evidently very happy with the performance with S/PDIF coax from the Off-Ramp 4, so not a total failure.

Steve N.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2011, 06:32 pm »
Thanks Steve,
That's very useful information & I suspected as much from my dealings with Ayon & told you this in our communications.

I also got a similar lack of interest & lack of technical knowledge from Ayon. I suspect that they really just re-badge some other device based on their lack of technical knowledge or reluctance to communicate it.

Sending I2S to a re-sampler is a pile of turd to start with.
The fact that it doesn't then work is a bigger pile of s**t

I was told various things by them when I attempted to connect to their I2S input:
- First, that the schematic WILL work.
- Then when I pointed out that it doesn't, I was told that the dealer should have made an adjustment internally if I2S was meant to be used??

I'm wondering if they ever sold one of their CD players which is meant to connect via I2S to this DAC?

All a crock of s*** by the sound of things.

KingStyles

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2011, 08:22 am »
Just realized you updated this thread. I agree getting info out of Ayon is a pain in the butt. I am very happy with the spdif input with the offramp 4. I couldnt imagine it getting any better than this, but curiosity is going to make me buy the monolith battery supply. The offramp4 beats the halide bridge in every area. A no brainer to do that upgrade. Thanks to Steve for taking the time out of his busy schedule to try to figure out the Skylla.