high-efficiency speakers for low-power tube amps (<10 w/ch) for <= $6k

bakufu

hi folks - i guess my subject line asks the question in full. 

i picked the $6k number because that's about what a new pair of klipsch cornwall IV's goes for.  any favorites out there? 

Jon L

If I were buying today with that budget, I would look at Audio Kinesis.

There is even a demo Gina on sale right now  :icon_lol:
https://jamesromeyn.com/audiokinesis-speaker-models/gina/

rodge827

All depends on the size of your room. The Charney Audio Maestro w/Voxativ AC 2.6 is a great sounding pair of tractrix horns. Exceptional clarity, imaging, sound stage, bass, that emotionaly engage you in the music. Check them out you'll be glad you did!

http://charneyaudio.com/the-maestro.html

borism

If I were buying today with that budget, I would look at Audio Kinesis.

I was just thinking that.

rbbert

At 91 dB sensitivity I don’t think the Gina will meet the OP’s requirements?  Again, check out the Daedalus line.

borism

The AudioKinesis Azel has 94 dB sensitivity. My Jazz Modules are 92 and I've used a 2A3 SET (4W/ch). It's not just the nominal sensitivity but the impedance curve.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Has anyone tested Daedalus speakers with regard to sensitivity?
The stated specs have always seemed a bit.....um.........optimistic to me.  :dunno:

jtcf

Salk Sound or Fritz speakers are worth checking out

rbbert

Has anyone tested Daedalus speakers with regard to sensitivity?
The stated specs have always seemed a bit.....um.........optimistic to me.  :dunno:

Assuming the sensitivity spec for my Acoustic Zen Crescendos is accurate (89 dB), then both my pairs of Daedalus are also accurate (97.5 dB for Ulysses, 96 dB for Apollo 11; all 3 are nominally 6 ohm).  There are some posters here who note very loud volume with lowish powered (25 watts or less) tube amps, and at 6 ohms those amps may be notably less than 25 watts.

sunnydaze

Salk Sound or Fritz speakers are worth checking out

Hardly what the OP is looking for.   :roll:

All Fritz are in the 85 to 89dB range.  And the Salk website shows over 35 models and I only see two over 90dB.  The rest are in the 84 to 88dB range.

Loki57

Check out Viking acoustics Berlins. Stand mounted horns. 96db.

bakufu

thanks (so far) to everyone for some interesting suggestions!  keep 'em coming!

rodge827

thanks (so far) to everyone for some interesting suggestions!  keep 'em coming!

Bakufu what is your room size?

bakufu

Bakufu what is your room size?

ah well, there's the rub.  the room (my studio) is 50' x 25', and three stories high, nearly a right-angle triangle, with the short end truncated.  my hifi is on the short end - i think of the space as forming a giant horn.  my desk is at the other end.  my current setup is a 6 w/ch integrated tube amp and a pair of klipsch rp600M speakers.  contrary to what you might expect, sonics are pretty good, up to the limits of the 600M's.  (i was surprised to learn that the 600M's have been measured at only 89.6 db sensitivity, well short of the advertised 96db.)  the sound-stage has good width and depth, and instrument placement is also pretty good, improving if your listening position is about 10' from the speakers.  this is why i mentioned the cornwall IV's, since they probably move enough air to fill, or at least challenge this space.  but i'm not sure if i care so much about that, since most of the music i play while i'm working is instrumental and small-ensemble jazz.  the big orchestral stuff i reserve for my main system.  since my new amp (line magnetic 210ia) is on the way, i've also been looking at the lower-priced LM speakers, which are at, or just beyond the limits of my budget.  but man are they beautiful!

/mp

bakufu

If you like the way klipsch sound in your room is something like this: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6ji3-klipsch-klipschorn-vintage-floorstanding-speakers-oiled-walnut-pair-k-b-wo-29561-speakers worth considering?

worth considering, but i'm leery about purchasing used speakers.  thanks -

sunnydaze

Why?  If your budget is 6k you can get a 12k or greater speaker.  Shop carefully and you are fine.  Been doing it for 25 years, never been burned.

Especially safe if speakers are local -- you can inspect / audition and shipping damage risk is eliminated.

roscoe65

With your budget you really should.  You want to fill a gigantic space with a 300B SET.  You need to get physics on your side.  For half the price of a pair of Cornwalls you can have a pristine set of Altec 19s.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables

A solid 90 lbs. each!    $4999 / pair

https://voltiaudio.com/razz/

You can't go wrong!

My $0.02,
Pete