New Wedgies

Captainhemo

New Wedgies
« on: 27 Oct 2018, 06:50 pm »
Ok folks
Finally  have a few  pairs of these in stock and can easily cut more if  needed.
Complete kits  are available  from danny  that include  everything  you'll need to build out  a set of these  including the flat packs.

The cabinets are now  made  from 1"  (baffle) and .75"  (wings/base) Medex.
zthey are super easy to glue up, the  wings fit tinto 10 degree rabbets onthe rear of the baffle and  are located in place on the base  via  dowels.
the deeper  1" baffle loads the  Lgk's a  bit more allowing them to play down a bit lower. Tweeter  now sits in a slightly deeper  waveguide

Danny has the  new response posted in one of the threads... will try  to find it and post here

jay

saygrr

Re: New Wedgies
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2018, 01:06 pm »
What are the measurements? Height , width , depth and the weight fully assembled. Is a room 25' L x 16.6' W x 9' H  to large for these if used with a pair of subs? Music would be the power of the orchestra type. If yes then the Octica MTM would be the better choice with subs? What are the measurements and weight of the MTM Octica.

Thanks much

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:24 pm »
The wedgies  are   approx  6" w at the front (base),  12" at rear  of base,  16"  bae depth,  22"  tall,  tweeter  height is  just under  12"  (center) .  I  just boxed up  a set of these  and it  came in at  31 lbs.

there  has not been  a  lot of interest in the  Otic MTm's so  we have not re-cut any  for a  bit.   the Otica Mtm  is  slightly taller and about   4"  wider  overall.  IIRC,  they came in around  40 lbs (flat pack)  = drivers  &   networks.

Maybe  some  owners  will jump  in on  sound quality......

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:38 pm »
I'll jump in as I have both. For a room that size I would take the NX-Oticas over the Wedgies. That room is big enough if you put the speakers on the short wall you could use the full size NX-Oticas with triple H-Frames behind them. I can speak for the monitors on the dual H-Frames but Jay has experience with the full size Oticas and triple H-Frames. I don't know what the price difference is between the NX-Otica monitors & dual H-frames vs the full size NX-Oticas and triple H-frames.

Also, the Super 7s are almost ready for prime time and would be another good fit for that room.

Mike

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2018, 07:50 pm »
   As usual great work from the Captain. Captainhemo that is.

charles

RMW

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2018, 01:36 am »
Hi - Do you have a cost of the kit and cost of the flat pack?

Thanks,
Ryan

saygrr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2018, 02:00 am »
Jay and Mike thanks for your answers and responses. The NX Otica is also very interesting and very nice looking. Not to big or heavy. I'm 63 years old. I have a system that is big and heavy. Would like to down size but still be just as happy with the system as I am now. It was the Dahlquist DQ-10 that got me into this hobby about 37 years ago. Did about 4 speaker changes after I sold the DQ-10s before I was happy with a pair of speakers again. Should not have sold the DQ-10. The DQ-10 was open baffle except for the woofer. With all the improvements in drivers and crossover design and components Danny and Jay must have something special in there speakers. Mike what state do you live in. I'm in Wi.

Thanks again
Jeff

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2018, 04:40 am »
Jay and Mike thanks for your answers and responses. The NX Otica is also very interesting and very nice looking. Not to big or heavy. I'm 63 years old. I have a system that is big and heavy. Would like to down size but still be just as happy with the system as I am now. It was the Dahlquist DQ-10 that got me into this hobby about 37 years ago. Did about 4 speaker changes after I sold the DQ-10s before I was happy with a pair of speakers again. Should not have sold the DQ-10. The DQ-10 was open baffle except for the woofer. With all the improvements in drivers and crossover design and components Danny and Jay must have something special in there speakers. Mike what state do you live in. I'm in Wi.

Thanks again
Jeff

Jeff,

I hear ya. I'm 62 and my listening room is on the 2nd floor. I live in Tulsa, OK.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2018, 07:42 pm »
Hi - Do you have a cost of the kit and cost of the flat pack?

Thanks,
Ryan

$990 a pair for the kit and flat pack, plus shipping.

Hirst

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2018, 12:50 am »
Flat pack arrived and I must say,it is packaged very well!  They look great and I am looking forward to putting them together but I have to finish my bass traps first.

Thank you Jay!

Paul

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2018, 05:09 pm »
Flat pack arrived and I must say,it is packaged very well!  They look great and I am looking forward to putting them together but I have to finish my bass traps first.

Thank you Jay!

Paul

Thanks for the feedback Paul, appreciate it.  Those   cabinets will be  very  easy to glue up for you the  dowels rabbets eliminate  any awkward  clamping.
Let us  know  when  yo  get  them up  and playing   :)

jay

Hirst

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2018, 01:37 am »
These were extremely easy to glue up.  Just take your time, have clamps handy, and do a dry fit to make sure that the dowels do not hang up.  You may have to sand the dowels just a little. Do not be shy with the glue.   That you very much Jay!

Would those that have made the newer wedgies be willing to post a few pictures of their cross over?  I know what goes where but I am really struggling to come up with an efficient layout that will not be an eyesore. 

Thank you,

Paul

Hirst

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:22 pm »
Less than two hours of playing, room acoustics only half finished, very small room with a low ceiling, room almost a perfect square....and these wedgies just laughed off all of the challenges and play beautifully.  I do not have the vocabulary to describe these but here is a comparison.  I had Danny's excellent and capable X-LS with dual servo subs.  I would listen to beautiful music.  With the wedgies I listen to musicians playing instruments and making beautiful music.  It is like having the musicians in the room.  I have not even played around with their position, just plopped them on top of the H frames and fired them up (after a quick prayer to keep the magic smoke away).  In the past I was very skeptical about cables and network "upgrades" making a noticeable difference.  No longer a skeptic, replaced my crappy RCA cables with so-so cables and I can hear the difference.  Time for some decent DIY cables.
My son has watched me spend hours building the amp (the incredible Folsom), power supply, kuartlotrons, bass traps, etc, and he just shook his head and wondered why anyone would put so much into a stereo.  Tonight I asked him to just have a quick listen.  His comment was.....WOW, now I know why you went to so much trouble.  The system sounds incredible.
Thank you to Danny, Jay, and Jeremy for all of your help and patience.  There is still much to do to get the room to cooperate, PI Audio difussers are on their way as is no-rez for the subs.  Also upgrading the cross-over components. 

If any of you are in the Toronto area and want a listen just fire me a msg. 

Paul

cody69

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:23 am »
Hi Paul

Great to hear how pleased you are with the Wedgies. After building several pairs of LGKs I'm really interested in building a pair of these.
Would love to see some pics of your finished speakers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:49 am »
Less than two hours of playing, room acoustics only half finished, very small room with a low ceiling, room almost a perfect square....and these wedgies just laughed off all of the challenges and play beautifully.  I do not have the vocabulary to describe these but here is a comparison.  I had Danny's excellent and capable X-LS with dual servo subs.  I would listen to beautiful music.  With the wedgies I listen to musicians playing instruments and making beautiful music.  It is like having the musicians in the room.  I have not even played around with their position, just plopped them on top of the H frames and fired them up (after a quick prayer to keep the magic smoke away).  In the past I was very skeptical about cables and network "upgrades" making a noticeable difference.  No longer a skeptic, replaced my crappy RCA cables with so-so cables and I can hear the difference.  Time for some decent DIY cables.
My son has watched me spend hours building the amp (the incredible Folsom), power supply, kuartlotrons, bass traps, etc, and he just shook his head and wondered why anyone would put so much into a stereo.  Tonight I asked him to just have a quick listen.  His comment was.....WOW, now I know why you went to so much trouble.  The system sounds incredible.
Thank you to Danny, Jay, and Jeremy for all of your help and patience.  There is still much to do to get the room to cooperate, PI Audio difussers are on their way as is no-rez for the subs.  Also upgrading the cross-over components. 

If any of you are in the Toronto area and want a listen just fire me a msg. 

Paul

:beer:
Love hearing this, makes it  worth  while

jay

Hirst

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:50 pm »
Great to hear how pleased you are with the Wedgies. After building several pairs of LGKs I'm really interested in building a pair of these.
Would love to see some pics of your finished speakers.

Lets just say that I was rather impatient to listen to them and committed the cardinal sin of listening to them before I started to apply any finish.......and they are not going to be dissembled any time soon as I am just having a blast listening to them.  With the Folsom amp and dual servo subs I have really begun to appreciate and love classical music.  I ran into a self induced problem and had to switch DACs to track the mistake (completely my goof and I am too embarrassed to publicly state what I did) but it allowed me to hear two DACs one after the other.  With the X-LS I really could not tell the difference, with the wedgies it is quite obvious.   I can now honestly say that I am with the gang that says that they can hear a noticeable difference between DACs.  This is coming from a guy that wears hearing aids.

When the weather warms up I do intend on painting them.  Since I have already applied the no-rez I will not be finishing them with veneer as I originally intended.

Paul

cody69

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2018, 10:49 pm »
Really great to hear how much you are enjoying these. Thanks for sharing your experience with them.