Lousy equipment pairings

Affordable$$Audio

Lousy equipment pairings
« on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:24 am »
Synergy is becoming a big word in audio in regards to equipment matching.  Name some terrible pairings you have experienced.

Zero

Re: Lousy equipment pairings
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:34 am »
Rega Mira 3 -  Totem Acoustic Sttaf

Sony S50 ES  -  Klipsch RB-3

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:44 am »
Curious about the Mira 3 / Totem combination. What was wrong? Seems like they would work pretty well together. I used to have a pair of Arro's with the older Mira. When I bought the Arro's, I called Totem and asked what integrated they would recommend at around a grand to run them. Vince suggested the Mira. It was a very nice combination.

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:05 am »
Merle,

I've tried the Mira 3 with the Arro, Hawk, and Rainmaker..   It was a very compotent match with all three. For one reason or another, I simply could not tolerate the Mira 3 on the Sttaf. The dynamics became limited, the mid-range muddied up with a high end that sounded like a blanket was put over the speaker. Essentially; all the magic the Sttaf has was taken away.

This is not to discredit the fine Rega unit in any way shape or form. I've enjoyed it on numerous speakers in different configurations and rooms. But to these non golden ears, the Sttaf and Mira 3 were like oil and water..   Jolida equipment is a close second (when it comes to the Sttaf).
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2007, 01:05 am by A6M-ZERO »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:06 am »
mid-80s NAD 120 W amp (can't remember the model number) and any speaker!

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2007, 08:35 pm »
My personal bit of lousy matching involves the Adcom GFA55 and a Conrad Johnson PV7.  I thought the match of tubes and a brute power ss amp would be terrific.  Instead, I got nothing but a noisy mess.  Stupidly, I traded in the PV7 and kept the Adcom for several more months.

Soundbitten

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2007, 02:28 am »
Acoustic Research 312s with a  Parasound HCA-1000 .

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2007, 02:42 am »
I've heard before that the Parasound Amps can be a bit finicky with speakers.  I do know that they sound quite nice with Aperion speakers.

jon_010101

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2007, 03:23 am »
My Consonance Ella sounded bloody-horrendous with my GR Research Diluceos.  Bright and evil.  Positively unlistenable, although it had been quite awesome with the nearly-identical (but less efficient) GR Research Criterions I had demo'd.  I never could figure that one out, so I sold it.  Maybe it wanted to drive inefficient speakers in order to be happy?   :scratch:

SatoriGFX

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2007, 03:31 am »
Merle,

I've tried the Mira 3 with the Arro, Hawk, and Rainmaker..   It was a very compotent match with all three. For one reason or another, I simply could not tolerate the Mira 3 on the Sttaf. The dynamics became limited, the mid-range muddied up with a high end that sounded like a blanket was put over the speaker. Essentially; all the magic the Sttaf has was taken away.

This is not to discredit the fine Rega unit in any way shape or form. I've enjoyed it on numerous speakers in different configurations and rooms. But to these non golden ears, the Sttaf and Mira 3 were like oil and water..   Jolida equipment is a close second (when it comes to the Sttaf).

I wonder if the Mira 3 is much different than the Mira 2000 because the the Mira 2000 with the Sttaf mated quite well for me.  Numerous user reviews tout it as a great combo and the European distributor of Totem apparently used that combo to demo the Sttafs at various shows.

Adam.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2007, 03:54 am »
Yamaha electronics and Klipsch speakers. Brings new meaning to the words "harsh" and "grating."   :o

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2007, 02:37 pm »
Magnepan MMG's....and a pair of (10 watt) 6V6 integrated monoblocks  :o

Shoulda' been obvious it wouldn't work, but I had to hear it for myself  :icon_lol:

Guys, don't use these components together  :roll:

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2007, 04:12 pm »
Hey, we actually drove Steve K's Maggies with a pair of Willie's PP 45's. I think they were putting out all of about 3 watts. We used some autoformers between them. Granted, it didn't get very loud (maybe conversation level) but it didn't sound too bad at all  :lol:

When it comes to audio, the GAS guys will try just about anything once we've gotten liquored up  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2007, 11:03 pm »

Sony CDP, Cat Pre, Bryston 4B Amp. Talk about bright, Edison would be proud, they turned night into day.

rollo

DeadFish

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2007, 03:16 am »
I shoulda remembered this combo way before now.
Altec Lansing 19 speakers and a Bryston B60 amp.  Put on anything at all and you feel the bones shift in your head as much as the tectonic plates beneath your feet.  Nobody has shrill on the subatomic level like that.
When jon_010101 mentioned "Bright and evil" it crystalized the image.
I'd always enjoyed the Bryston gear, but never heard through horns before.  I really tried to listen, but my wife found me 45 feet away, next to the street in a lawn chair and an empty six pack finally thinking both brands had something to offer.
I never tried solid state with those horns again. (and they can be lovely).
I musta been drunk.

Some things should be done to find out why you shouldn't do them, I guess.

DeadFish