Vision SET 120 power amplifier. Got it!

Merryvale92

Vision SET 120 power amplifier. Got it!
« on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:18 pm »
I just ordered myself the Vision SET 120 power amplifier. It was time for me to experience a class A amplifier.

jjss49

Re: Vision SET 120 power amplifier. Got it!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2022, 03:04 pm »
the set120 is a nice amplifier, but it is a not a class a amp beyond the first couple of watts, this is a class ab amplifier in most of its operating wattage range

Nick B

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2022, 06:42 pm »
 :thumb:
I just ordered myself the Vision SET 120 power amplifier. It was time for me to experience a class A amplifier.

Congratulations! Please post your impressions

Merryvale92

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022, 09:50 pm »
The Vision SET 120 power amplifier is simply an amazing upgrade for me! The clear/transparent, yet organic presentation is amazing!

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2022, 12:29 am »
I had a hunch you would enjoy it  :thumb:   It’s fun to listen to and also very reasonably priced

BadDNA

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2022, 06:31 pm »
I have been enjoying my SET 120 amp since late 2020. Really surprised me as I was a bit skeptical of it having enough grunt, especially having owned a 60watt/channel Rotel amp back in the 90's. No contest! Aside from that, it is a fantastic sounding amp.

Merryvale92

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2022, 03:07 am »
Having spent several days/hours with this amp, it continues to please me with a completely different feel for everything I'm listening to. Well done Frank and Team AVA!

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:46 am »
Having spent several days/hours with this amp, it continues to please me with a completely different feel for everything I'm listening to. Well done Frank and Team AVA!

Am wondering if you’re using a solid state or a tube preamp with it, what speakers etc.

Merryvale92

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2022, 03:07 pm »
Windows 11 / JRiver or Foobar / USB / SMSL SU-9 DAC / AVA Vision SET 120 power amplifier / Elac Carina speakers
No preamp. I sold my Parasound Halo P5 preamp when I preferred to go from the DAC directly to the amp. I have my Music Hall CD player connected to the DAC with a Van den Hul optical cable.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2022, 12:59 am by Merryvale92 »

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:04 pm »
Windows 11 / JRiver or Foobar / USB / SMSL SU-9 DAC / AVA Vision SET 120 power amplifier / Elac Carina speakers
No preamp. I sold my Parasound Halo P5 preamp when I preferred to go from the DAC directly to the preamp. I have my Music Hall CD player connected to the DAC with a Van den Hul optical cable.

Thanks for the info. Glad you’re enjoying it so much and happy listening  :thumb: 🎶

BadDNA

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:49 pm »
No preamp. I sold my Parasound Halo P5 preamp when I preferred to go from the DAC directly to the preamp. I have my Music Hall CD player connected to the DAC with a Van den Hul optical cable.

I assume you meant that you are going from the DAC directly to the SET 120 amp? I guess that SMSL has a built-in pre. I have a P6 pre I connect to via USB from my DAC, which has no preamp. Did you find the sound going from the P5 and switching to direct connection to the SMSL to be better, worse, or similar?

Merryvale92

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2022, 06:06 pm »
I went back and forth between using the Parasound Hala P5 as the preamp and connecting the SMSL SU-9 DAC directly to the amp. In the end I preferred the direct connection from the SMSL SU-9 DAC to the amp. It was darker/muddier going through the Parasound and another set of cables (Van den Hul - The Wave...not a bad set of cables).
I now have a pair of Chord Clearway interconnects arriving on Monday and will see if there is any difference between them and my remaining set of VDH The Wave).

Merryvale92

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2022, 07:28 pm »
The Chord Company Clearway Analogue RCA are in and it really is a fine upgrade for my system. Lucky guess as system synergy is not my field. There is considerably more detail and bass/piano chords are much tighter....more impact without being overbearing.

BadDNA

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:22 pm »
What are you connecting with the new cables?

(Nevermind..... I assume it's the DAC to SET 120)

I use XLR's from my DAC to my P6, then WBT RCA's using Canare cable from P6 to SET 120.

Merryvale92

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:47 pm »
The new Chord Company Clearway Analogue RCA cables connect the SMSL SU-9 DAC to the AVA Vision SET 120 power amplifier.
While I'm positive removing my Parasound preamp from the system was the right decision, I'm still wondering if controlling the volume from the DAC is the best thing (quality of its volume control).

BadDNA

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2022, 02:57 pm »
I had a P5 before the P6 and can say that the P6 has improved over the P5 in its sonics. It could be due to the improved volume control (Ladder resistor vs Potentiometer) but I cannot say for certain.

The recent talk of connecting from DAC directly to amp has me thinking. I use a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC to the P6, but I've been considering replacing the BF2 with the top model, Yggdrasil. I'd still need to run it through the P6 as it has not preamp/volume control. For about the same cost as the Yggy, the new digital preamp from Frank has entered into my thought stream as another, totally opposite option. That would potentially replace the P6 as well as the Bifrost and connect directly to the SET 120. My only hesitation is using the DAC in the digital preamp vs either the BF2 or going to the Yggdrasil. I know Frank packs a lot of performance into his gear, but what does that DAC sound like vs what I have?

Merryvale92

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2022, 09:29 pm »
Those Parasound can be sold for a lot of money. I made back 80% of what I paid for the P5 as it was still under warranty. You have a lot of options!

BadDNA

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2022, 01:00 pm »
The P6 handles the connection requirements for my system to a T. It has hi & low pass filtered outputs like your old P5 which is perfect for how I have things configured. I run 80hz hi passed to my mains and full range from the sub lo pass filter to a MiniDSP 2x4HD that applies delay, EQ, etc. to dual subs. I'd have to account for hi passing the mains somehow with the Digital Preamp.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2022, 02:39 pm »
BadDNA - FYI AVA's ABX comparator, now back in stock after 2 years, has a built in (approximately) 100hz selectable filter for the mains that can be set in or out of circuit with a touch of the remote.  It also has a sub output, which is full range so your MiniDSP would do the crossover, that is volume adjusted for the A B comparisons that the unit is designed for. 

My system sounds like it might be similar to yours.

Most people I've encountered, including myself, feel they like the mains running full range better than having the low end filtered out once they can hear the two options switched instantly at the users discretion.

However, the ABX is RCA only (no XLR) which might be an issue if you are thinking about the new digital preamp.

Dan

BadDNA

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2022, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Dan, much appreciated!

The Digital Pre would be close to the price of the Yggdrasil I am considering, which was realistically at the top of my budget. Adding the comparator would blow the top off that budget and is not really an option.

Not sure about running my Ascend Sierra-2EX monitors full range. While the custom SEAS Excel woofers are excellent, I don't feel comfortable having them handle the low stuff that my dual Rythmik servo subs do so well. I could be proven wrong, but if I did opt for the DVA preamp I'd still want to high pass the Sierras so a cheaper alternative would need to be available.

For ease of implementation of a new component I am leaning towards the Yggy. If you have a compelling solution to still go the DVA Pre route I'm all ears!