Phono 2 feedback

Audiovista

Re: Phono 2 feedback
« Reply #60 on: 28 Jun 2017, 10:41 am »
Hi Rick,

You are very welcome. It is unusual for PP to send confirmations late - I reviewed it and you sent payment on June 23, and Verty received notification on June 27 (I sent you screenshot of the PP notice by email). Usually it's a matter of minutes, and not days. We all try to reply to emails promptly, sometimes it takes bit longer (if we need to collect information), but this time it was glitch outside of our control.

Good news is that your preamp is in the mail and I am looking forward to your feedback.

Thank you for your patience!
Boris

rickmusicman

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:05 pm »
Boris,

I just wanted to let you know I received the phono 2 yesterday. I also wanted to say how much I appreciate Verty Audio for the fast shipping and fantastic packaging  of the amp. I am waiting for my pre-amp and amp to get here so I can hook it up. Thanks again. Rick

Audiovista

« Reply #62 on: 1 Jul 2017, 03:22 pm »
 :thumb:

GregC

« Reply #63 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:06 am »
Would the Vista Phono 2 benefit from a linear power supply?  The label says 12VAC so does that mean a 15V DC LPSU?

bacobits1

« Reply #64 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:11 am »
It would have to be 12v AC as  labeled
NO DC linear power supply!!!
I do not think there would be any benifit to an AC linear power supply.
Quite dynamic and quiet as is.

Boris I'm sure will answer.

GregC

« Reply #65 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:24 am »
It would have to be 12v AC as  labeled
NO DC linear power supply!!!
I do not think there would be any benifit to an AC power supply.
Boris I'm sure will answer.

Thanks Bacobits, I appreciate the answer. 

I own a DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 and it can run 9VAC or 12VDC.  By using a quality 12VDC linear PSU the dynamics are improved along with a lower noise floor.  I also like that there is no switching PSU in the audio chain to add any noise.  The Phono 2 may be designed so a linear PSU does not improve its performance.

bacobits1

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:29 am »
I never seen any device that can run both. Do you throw a switch?
But yes usually a LPS has that effect.
Did you purchase a Visa?
It is quite the performer! But I'm a fan.
I also have other phonos.

GregC

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:34 am »
I never seen any device that can run both. Do you throw a switch?
But yes usually a LPS has that effect.
Did you purchase a Visa?
It is quite the performer! But I'm a fan.
I also have other phonos.
No the plug in the back is labeled 9VAC / 12VDC and both work.  Not sure how it is done internally in the DSpeaker.

bacobits1

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:44 am »
Ahh i learned something  :thumb:

GregC

« Reply #69 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:49 am »
Ahh i learned something  :thumb:

I did not answer your initial question if I own a Vista Phono 2.  I have been lurking so far and read the reviews here as they started to roll in.

I have a very good built in phono board in my Spread Spectrum Technology Ambrosia 2 preamp.  The only downside is the MC loading is fixed at 1000 ohms.  The MM input with a MC step up is sublime. 

I was thinking a Vista 2 would be a make a nice backup.  However, I think I already have a superb phono and would I be better served with a tube phono stage because that is different then what I have and use now? 

bacobits1

« Reply #70 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:55 am »
Only you can answer if and how much different it may be.
Tubes can cause some noise. With a step up it's all a balance.
All trial and error what works well.
That's why there is so much on the used market.
But that's ok I'll pickup the pieces!

GregC

« Reply #71 on: 25 Jul 2017, 01:00 am »
Only you can answer if and how much different it may be.
Tubes can cause some noise. With a step up it's all a balance.
All trial and error what works well.
That's why there is so much on the used market.
But that's ok I'll pickup the pieces!
System synergy and personal tastes have so much to do with the choices we make. 

The only way I can gauge success (after all is said and done) is if a component lands and stays in my system for an extended period of time. 

Is the Vista 2 your primary phono stage now? 

bacobits1

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jul 2017, 01:07 am »
I switch between an iFi phono 2 with a SBooster LPS and the Vista.
A bit different flavor between the Two.
I have had a lot of phonos here too, many over a 3 year period. Some step-ups too nothing outrageous cost wise. All used.

Audiovista

« Reply #73 on: 25 Jul 2017, 02:26 pm »
Good discussion!

To quickly address the power supply question: Phono-1 and Phono-2 require AC voltage for the power supply. 12VAC is optimal, 9VAC will work, but not great - there will be loss of dynamic headroom (and probably more) but the preamps will not be damaged.

DC input is not supported. If a 12VDC power supply is accidentally used, there will be no sound, but the unit will not get damaged.

The wallwart supply that comes with the preamps is properly overrated... by about 400% (:D). I do not suggest spending money on different transformers. Extra money will be much better spent on good interconnects (t/t to preamp). This is something that I keep experimenting with... trying to understand which construction sounds better and why, which measured parameters matter (and why) and how to simulate external noises affecting cables and cartridges... there is no end to it...  :duh:

:lol:

GregC

« Reply #74 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:30 pm »
Good discussion!

To quickly address the power supply question: Phono-1 and Phono-2 require AC voltage for the power supply. 12VAC is optimal, 9VAC will work, but not great - there will be loss of dynamic headroom (and probably more) but the preamps will not be damaged.

DC input is not supported. If a 12VDC power supply is accidentally used, there will be no sound, but the unit will not get damaged.

The wallwart supply that comes with the preamps is properly overrated... by about 400% (:D). I do not suggest spending money on different transformers. Extra money will be much better spent on good interconnects (t/t to preamp). This is something that I keep experimenting with... trying to understand which construction sounds better and why, which measured parameters matter (and why) and how to simulate external noises affecting cables and cartridges... there is no end to it...  :duh:

:lol:

Thanks for providing more information Boris.

Audiovista

« Reply #75 on: 25 Jul 2017, 08:40 pm »
With pleasure!

WireNut

« Reply #76 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:14 pm »
void

sabocat

« Reply #77 on: 21 Aug 2017, 10:49 pm »
Hello all. I wanted to give my initial impressions of the phono 2, which i just received in the mail. It's been several months since i have had the phono 1 in my bedroom system. I have a microzotl2 as a preamp, which feeds my JWN 6V6 amp at 12 wpc or thereabouts. Source is the thorens 125mkII with the denon 301mkII.  Speakers are high output omegas. I decided to spring for the phono 2 after reading about its increased bass response.

The Vista audio phono 2 is quite a step up from its sibling. if there was ever any lingering doubt as to whether or not i may want to spring for a subwoofer down the road, i have to say the phono 2 opens up the bottom end considerably, so that won't be necessary.  in addition to a bigger soundstage and more precise yet musical imaging, my system sounds  a bit more refined in the upper register. And its not even broken in yet.

KUDOS to Boris for a great phono preamp.

Wanted to do a serious test on the bass today, so I cleaned my copy of Ray Brown and Laurindo Almeida, Moonlight Serenade. It's one of those Jeton recordings, direct to disc live in the studio in Germany. There's this one section where Brown solos with a bow. Holy Crap! My system now nails it.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 04:07 pm by sabocat »

Audiovista

« Reply #78 on: 22 Aug 2017, 05:00 pm »
Many thanks for taking time to write the review! I am very happy to hear that Phono-2 found good company in your system  8)

Thanks again,
Boris

sabocat

« Reply #79 on: 25 Aug 2017, 08:12 pm »
Further reflections. Thinking on the subject of bass, I decided to switch out my Thorens for the VPI. I had replaced the stock head shell on the thorens some time ago, and that tightened up the bass considerably, but the bass through the scout in my main system is awesome, so why not switch?

OH Yeah. Not only does the phono 2 scale up with ease, but there is even more bass, as i had imagined, and even more refinement in the midrange and upper register. Think I will keep the scout in the bedroom for a while.