Phono 2 feedback

mnfv

Re: Phono 2 feedback
« Reply #100 on: 28 Feb 2018, 10:56 pm »
Hi.

Audiovista, the Phono 3 will replace Phono 2 or it will be a better sounding phono preamp?

Thanks

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: Phono 2 feedback
« Reply #101 on: 1 Nov 2021, 02:10 pm »
This comment follows the initial review posted in superlative fashion a few years ago.  I couldn't find a better place to comment so... its here.

Tersely....

The Vista Phono 2 works excellent in my system with a Technics 1200 table, cork mat, and ortofon blue cartridge.   Amplification is mostly tube (VTA Push Pull el34, or Single Ended Pentode 6L6, or Soraya CB105) driving my 1801b/c or a larger 3 way home-brewed creation.   Wires and Cables are UPOCC, or silver with cotton/teflon insulation.   Plugs are Eichmann, KLE or Nutrik .

A very early phono attempt was a Marantz 2270, but this receiver was wrought with problems having fading transistors and such.

My first real phono preamp try was a Cabridge retail unit for about $200.  Nope - gritty and noisy.

My second real phono preamp attempt was a refreshed Scott 355 tuner.  This was better but somewhat bloated and muddy.  I suppose the sonic character followed the traditional stereotypes attributed to older tube gear.

My third real phono preamp attempt was the Vista Phono 2.  It was Audio Nirvana - everything the initial post attributes to this preamp.  The sound quality is clean and smooth and wonderfully dynamic.   

I fully realize the Vista 2 is a solid state preamp in a small and very humble black box.     It would seem to fall into the cheap-from-china genre.  It doesn't.   There is a high degree of refinement in the design and parts selection in this unit.  Boris did excellent work and used very high quality parts.   

Hopefully my comments are helpful to anyone seeking a very high quality phono preamp.