Phono 1 feedback

sabocat

Re: Phono 1 feedback
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:40 pm »
 :D I removed the ground wire and it sounds fine...

sabocat

« Reply #61 on: 16 Jan 2017, 07:35 pm »

Audiovista

« Reply #62 on: 16 Jan 2017, 09:22 pm »
I am on the road these days, thank you Den for helping out! When the grounding is required (not very often) the side screws can indeed be used.

I witnessed people doing scary things with the gnd screw, so I took it out. Now with Phono-2 it is back, as I have received several requests for that feature. I think people who opt for Phono-2 are little more experienced and aware of good grounding techniques.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

sabocat

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jan 2017, 01:15 pm »

borism

« Reply #64 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:52 pm »
Well, after my last turntable, a Dual was stolen in the 1980s I had switched to digital source components. More recently, listening to all that vinyl revival talk, I decided to give it another try.

After some research I discovered a place that restores vintage Thorens tables - Vinyl Nirvana - and bought a Thorens 160 Super with a Jelco tonearm and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge. I also got a Phono 1 from Boris.

Upon connecting everything the first experience was an audible hum. Since the Phono 1 does not have a separate ground tab, I used as someone recommended previously one of the side screws to the metal case of the Phono 1. This took care of the hum and I was able to play my first record.

The sound coming out of the speakers was incredible. It was musical, big, tactile and to my surprise the bass was very strong. There was also the minor annoyance of various sporadic record surface noises but it didn't take away from the pleasure of the vinyl sound.

Here are some pictures of my new set-up.

Great experience! :D

Audiovista

« Reply #65 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, and for pictures of the setup. Very nice! A friend of mine bought TD160 in the eighties, and he is still using it quite often with just regular (and very rare) maintenance. Great machine!

Quality bass and transparency... I am still very happy to have decided to eliminate AC coupling capacitors early in the design stage. It was a worthwhile effort and I will need to find a way extend it to future designs as well.

Thanks again!

gaetan8888

« Reply #66 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:00 am »
Thank you for the feedback, and for pictures of the setup. Very nice! A friend of mine bought TD160 in the eighties, and he is still using it quite often with just regular (and very rare) maintenance. Great machine!

Quality bass and transparency... I am still very happy to have decided to eliminate AC coupling capacitors early in the design stage. It was a worthwhile effort and I will need to find a way extend it to future designs as well.

Thanks again!

Hello

Have you try the same phono preamp with AC coupling capacitors ?

Will you do a line preamp some day ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Audiovista

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jan 2020, 04:03 pm »
Hello Gaetan,

Good questions!

I did not try the exact configuration with the AC coupling caps: capacitors increase distortion and affect the sound, regardless of how good they are; for that reason I use them only when necessary, with due considerations to their role in the circuit, type, rating and quality.

A line preamp as a separate product is not in the immediate plans, although a few circuits which could go into a possible future preamp have been designed and in use in our OEM products. One interesting feature will soon be presented as a stand-alone product.

Thanks again,
Boris