G'DAY from Townshend Audio:

Max Townshend

• Industry Participant
  • Geometry Matters
    • townshendaudio.com
G'DAY from Townshend Audio:
« on: 16 Nov 2020, 11:35 am »

I set up Townshend Audio over 40 years ago a manufacturing company focused on high fidelity upgrades and electronics.

Embracing well-established electronic theory for undistorted signal communication, for the last 40 years, I’ve shown that impedance matching in speaker cables matters as well as building a fair bit of audio kit for

fellow enthusiasts to enjoy.

Looking forward to joining the conversation

Max

sunnydaze

Re: G'DAY from Townshend Audio:
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2020, 09:49 pm »
Hi Max....

Nice to see you here.  I still have, and enjoy, my Rock Mk3 since 1997!     :thumb:

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm »
I am sure you will find a number of stimulating topics here Max. Your knowledge and experience will be a nice addition.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2020, 10:11 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Max Townshend

Nice to see you here.  8)

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:47 am »
Welcome!

Max Townshend

• Industry Participant
  • Geometry Matters
    • townshendaudio.com
*White Paper- The "Sound" of Music and error in Your Cables
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:43 am »
The most important factor in a speaker cable is its geometry:  This is more critical than the conductor and the insulation because the wrong geometry causes high frequency distortion that results in a hard, edgy sound that many have encountered in their quest to build the ultimate system.

In the attached white paper I explain how to measure the effects that different geometries have on speaker cables and shows exactly what they do to the frequency response. The Sound of Music and Error in Your Speaker Cables  

http://www.townshendaudio.com/PDF/The%20Sound%20of%20Music%20and%20Error%20in%20Your%20Speaker%20Cables.pdf

Here is a Bitley link to view the PDF Doc.https://bit.ly/3nzPwGX

or here:

https://www.psaudio.com/article/the-sound-of-speaker-cables-an-analysis/?fbclid=IwAR2Yw4I62KEG-roC4JKvAtldWtEhXpVAY31iifAxEZsjxVDEfWgZfSEhLXo

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:33 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Max!

Please read this information about being an Industry Participant.

Promotion of your products must be in your own (this) Introduction thread.

Thanks!

eichlerera1

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:21 pm »
Max,

Enjoyed reading your white paper.
A lot of work went into this analysis and I commend you for it!

Question: Why did you use long 7 meter cables?
Most people would use 3-10 feet in their application. (which would skew the results in a positive way for all cables tested)

I use Hales Signature Two's with a 4 ohm input.
For speaker cables, the new Silversmith Fidelium.
Separate positive and negative leads are used in the design, raising the specter of low capacitance and high impedance due to a wide separation between the two conductors. (in my case, varying between 3"-8")
Despite this fact, the cables are amazingly neutral and balanced throughout the frequency spectrum.
The transient response on the leading and especially trailing edges are SOTA.
The imaging and sound stage are killer!
They exhibit no edginess or brightness. (especially when compared to the Straightwire Maestros that I formally used)
I might chalk it up to dumb luck that the impedance's between Amp,. Speaker Cable and Speaker apparently match up well.
But many other people who use this cable in very different set ups, feel the same way about this cable.

I could easily experiment by overlaying the cables and taping them together.
From a sonic POV, what improvements would I expect to hear?

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2020, 03:56 am by eichlerera1 »

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:08 pm »
Nice to see Max is here at AC
Here's another Rock III that was kindly restored by Sunnydaze....

Some of my favorite 'digital doesn't do that' moments came from the Rock....

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:53 pm »
Nice to see Max is here at AC
Here's another Rock III that was kindly restored by Sunnydaze....

Hey Greg....nice to see you on here...hope you are well.   And great to see that you are enjoying the table!  :thumb: 

My earlier photo is actually of Greg's table when I had it, not mine.

Here's mine with Origin Live Silver Mk3a arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge -- still looks and sounds great after 23 years!

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2020, 02:48 pm by sunnydaze »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:55 pm »
Thanks for posting and I 100% agree with your findings. While I have not gone through the lengths you have to verify I do believe characteristic impedance is very important in SCs and arrived at a design that uses ribbon wire for both speaker and power cable in order to perfect the geometry of my cables, with the PC having very low inductance and high capacitance and the speaker cable being a little more balanced but with very low inductance vs what you can achieve with round wire.

The wire shape also has an effect on image size in many systems, as the wire approaches a very thin foil image sizes tend to blow up and become larger than life, without enough separation.

The conductor material also makes a difference, I have speaker and power ribbon cables in both UPOCC copper and silver, which are identical except for the conductor material and the differences are massive between the two. I've also seen speaker cables made out of "exotic" materials like Tungsten or the foil often embedded in window frames as a weatherstripping, this is not great as the reduced conductivity reduces the system's damping factor, which can make for a big difference vs copper or silver, but it does it by reducing the electrical damping the amp has over the driver, which is not ideal imo, but some like it, especially if you have an mechanically overdamped driver. But you can achieve this simply by using thin-gauge copper wire, you don't have to use tungsten or god-knows-what! ;)

IMO, there is an information overload on cables and many poor designs are on offer, and are vigorously promoted or even SHILLED! Designs are poor for a wide variety of reasons such as not being able to bend the cable without applying too much stress, corrosion from doing ridiculous stuff like not properly insulating the wire from air, using heavy gauge solid-core wire that will crack with repeated bend cycles, etc... I've even been recently told geometry in speaker cables simply doesn't matter! :lol:  But hey, I guess these days everyone feels entitled to their own facts...  :duh:

I can only hope one day more of what we hear with cables can be correlated to measurable metrics and understood so cables can become more universally good, without so much misinformation and misguided designs out there.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2020, 02:36 am »
Hey Greg....nice to see you on here...hope you are well.   And great to see that you are enjoying the table!  :thumb: 

Thanks John. Hope you are also doing well.

I can't think of a better non-sequitur for a cable discussion than another gratuitous shot of the Rock in action....

Norman Tracy

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:33 am »
First - Fantastic to welcome Max Townshend one of the grand masters of HiFi to AudioCircle.

Second - Larkston Zinaspic between your King Crimson icon and the Yes album displayed behind your Rock when can I come over for a listening night? Shall I bring beer and chips or wine and cheese?

Third - For the uninitiated notice the damping trough that arcs across the LP in front of the tonearm on the Townshend turntables being posted by their proud (and one notices long term) owners. A brilliant invention by Max Townshend these carry silicon damping oil into which a paddle on the end of the head shell rides. This damps the low frequency resonance of the cartridge suspension vs arm mass at the source along with other spurious resonances that normally go zipping up and down the tonearm. Every review of this system I have ever read comments on the great bass reproduced with the 11-12 Hz resonance damped. Back when reviews included measurements that typical subsonic peak was undetectable on Townshend tonearms. The trough is pivoted so the only downside is the user has the extra step of moving it off and then back over the LP when changing records.