What's your favorite tube amp?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
What's your favorite tube amp?
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:33 am »
Now that I've really been bitten with the Atma-sphere amp (MA-1) bug I'm curious to know what you guys / gals like the best in your system.

So, what's your favorite tube amp?  Big, small, mono......

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: What's your favorite tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:35 am »
You have one of those or are getting one?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:36 am »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:37 am »
Are you getting an OTL or do you have one?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:38 am »
Are you getting an OTL or do you have one?

I don't have any tube amp currently.  I've always wanted to try an Atma-sphere and lately the bug has gotten worse.  I'm not selling my SS monos though...

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:47 am »
It can't hurt to try them or listen to somebody's.

I do not know how they sound, but do not like their topology. It SCREAMS inefficiency! It is the anti-Class D. What you really want to try is a circlotron, the OTL's close and much more efficient cousin. Bi-Polar supply configuration eliminates DC saturation in the output transformer and that does improve performance. NOTE: Designing an amp so the idle current is reduced will produce similar results.

My favorite vintage mass produced amplifier would have to be the 6V6 Stromberg Carlson lineup. I'm partial to vintage Allen's as well for their component/build quality. Their sound is too clinical though.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:04 pm »
bug I'm curious to know what you guys / gals like the best in your system.

So, what's your favorite tube amp?  Big, small, mono......

Bigger system - Mono blocs of about 100 watts. I know there are a lot of tube options out there but I still like the good 'ol KT88.

Smaller system - 6L6 mono blocs (push-pull) of about 20-25 watts.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm »
I don't have Bill's pervasive experience in this realm, but I really like his comment about a push pull 6L6.  Hmmm, I should make an effort to get my ears on front of a 6L6 push pull amps.  Hmmmmm.  I thought I was perhaps the only guy who enjoyed the 6L6 sound.  Certainly there aren't many 6L6 amps produced.

Any well done tube amp will sound just dandy.  Bill's work is very good.  I also really like the Atma Sphere stuff - oh yes.  And, I have about $2500 in my mega mojo tweaked Golden Tube SE40SE with 6L6 tubes in a single ended pentode setup.  It sounds darn good, but... not on par with the Atma Sphere stuff.

After some experience with tube amps I have grown to enjoy the sound of the 6L6 tube better than the El34 and again better than KT88.  This assumes all other aspects of design and implemenation are on par (which is an approximation at best).  There is sooooo much more to a tube amp than what tube protrudes from chassis.  Anyhow, my preference for the 6L6 should NOT be considered as pervasive "gospel" based on profound experience and exposure.  It is based on a small sample of a few decent amps. 

my 2c.

Dave

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:12 pm »
I've always wanted to try an Atma-sphere and lately the bug has gotten worse.

Yeah, if I didn't already have 2 very good amplifiers, my next would be an Atma Sphere.  I think the 30wpc flavor generally sells for about 3k on audiogon - maybe less. 

Dave

ThomDP

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:24 pm »
I haven't owned many tube amps but of the four I owned my favorite was the ASUSA K2003. A sweet little 4 watt per channel single ended El84 power amp with a volume control.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/k2003_e.html

Others I've owned in comparison; The ASUSA was sweeter and more musical to my ears.

Jolida 202a
Golden Tube SE40
Yarland FV34III

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:31 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Dave. For too long people associated 6L6's with guitar amps. I do prefer it over the EL34 and in the right system, 20 watts will sooth the soul. Once I get some more effecient speakers in the showroom, I will be releasing our 20 watt monos.

For higher power amplifiers, I still prefer the KT88 as I have compared them with higher power 6L6 monos (using 4 6L6 per channel). Unfortunately, the 6L6 lost a bit of it's soul, even in triode, when running in this application. I feel the 6L6 is best when run with two tubes in push-pull or even single ended with a single tube.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:41 pm »
It can't hurt to try them or listen to somebody's.

I do not know how they sound, but do not like their topology. It SCREAMS inefficiency! It is the anti-Class D. What you really want to try is a circlotron, the OTL's close and much more efficient cousin. Bi-Polar supply configuration eliminates DC saturation in the output transformer and that does improve performance. NOTE: Designing an amp so the idle current is reduced will produce similar results.

My favorite vintage mass produced amplifier would have to be the 6V6 Stromberg Carlson lineup. I'm partial to vintage Allen's as well for their component/build quality. Their sound is too clinical though.

Blair,

Have you listened to the MA-1's or other recent Atma-Sphere amps?

While I agree that the amps are inefficient and soak up the electricity, they are simply stunning to listen to.  They are not only my favorite tube amp, they are my favorite amp period.

Funny that you mentioned the Stromberg Carlson amp...I owned a modified version years ago and thought it was a very nice amp.  I used it with Coincident and Gallo speakers and they were a great match.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:46 pm »

While I agree that the amps are inefficient and soak up the electricity, they are simply stunning to listen to.  They are not only my favorite tube amp, they are my favorite amp period.

George

My Clayton M-300's aren't exactly efficient either.   :oops:  I've got to hear the MA-1's.  I don't know why I'm feeling this crazy urge to try them.   :scratch:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:48 pm »
A tube amp and the speaker it will need to drive have to be taken as a whole unit. One works with the other. You can't put a 5W flea sized SET on a 4 ohm 85db (in)efficient speaker and expect it to sound good. Even if that little flea amp is a $60,000 Lamm with great sound.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:51 pm »
I still have mine and they are going on 5 years in my system.  I have not really felt the need to change at all.  I should send them back to get them checked out before they run out of warranty, though.  Bill, you remember what to do with these Extreme 200 blocks?  I see you don't do it anymore. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:56 pm »
I never listened to them or saw one in person. Maybe sometime in the future the opportunity will be available.

6L6's vs El34's Vs.....whatever: It depends on how the amplifier is configured. The 6L6 is a VERY good tube!

A tube is a part like a nut or bolt. One is not better than the other. You have to use what fits best for a specific application. A 6L6 can sound better than a EL34 in some amps, while an EL34 will work where 6L6's won't sound so good. There are amps which sound great with a variety of tubes and make tube rolling lots of fun!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
Joule Electra " Rite of Passage" mono blocks. My dream amp. Real as real can be in our hobby IMO.

charles

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:01 pm »
Real as real can be in our hobby IMO.

charles

What does that mean? :?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:31 pm »
I've never heard a 6V6 amp I haven't liked.  I've never heard 6V6 monoblocks I haven't loved  :inlove:

They just make sweet, sweet sounds.

If you can live with their typical 8watt output, they're dreamy :thumb:

John

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:39 pm »
Audio Mirror 20 watt monoblocks. They are single ended triode with two parallel 6AS7 output tubes in each amp. Very good match for my horns but damn do they generate a lot of heat.
I just put them back in storage for the summer. Currently using a 60 watt ClassD Audio stereo amp. Close enough for now.