Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated

roscoeiii

Re: Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm »
I did have a chance to hear the Sphinx in town at Decibel Audio, and quite liked its sound with the Harbeth 30.1s. Couldn't get a great feel for its sound since the speakers were new to me. But didn't strike me as sluggish with the material I listened to.

And as I type this, I am patiently waiting for my Stereo 90 that just returned from getting upgraded to Super Magnum to warm up so I can bias the KT120 output tubes. My baby is back!

Alexdad54, what speakers are you using? I think that the speakers power demands may best determine which model best suits your needs. As well as the amount of control you need to have on your woofers (Class D amps often have a quite high damping factor, though the Rogue all-tube amps are solid enough in the bass that this might not be as much of a concern as it might be with other all-tube amps).

Alexdad54

« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:18 am »
Hi Roscoeiii, Thanks for the info. I'm using Salk Song towers (silk tweeter)  and was looking at (as you know) the Rogue Cronus Magnum.
I have a possible line on one used but it's still a bit rich for me, which is why I'm wondering about the Sphinx.
I was thinking that the Sphinx might be suitable as the amp has to be  able to handle everything from folk to reggae and rock....

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:16 am »
at 88dB for those Salks, I think you'd be fine with a Cronus Magnum. But I'd check in and see what other folks on the Salk Circle think on SS vs tube on the SongTowers. I know Salk and AVA often show together, so I'd think tubes would be a good match. Rogue all-tube's gear's ability to do rock, reggae etc are part of the reason I went with the Stereo 90 (impressions to come once broken in).

rpf

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:41 am »
Fwiw, I use a KT120 powered Cronus Magnum with 87 db speakers (8 ohm nominal, 3.9 ohm minimum) with excellent results.

fsimms

« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2013, 10:19 am »
I had a pair of Salk SongTowers in my condo and used an old Fisher tube receiver (30 watts) with them and they worked fine.  TAS did a review of the SongTowers with a 35 watt Van Alstine amp and they were happy too.  The Rogue should be an even better choice with its extra power.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-by-van-alstine-ultravalve-power-amplifier-salk-sound-songtower-qwt-loudspeaker-tas-204/

Bob

Alexdad54

« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:14 pm »
Thanks for all the answers , much appreciated.  I currently use a JWN KT-88-based custom amp with a Mapletree Ultra 4A SE pre with my ST's and it sounds great but now need to downsize hence the interest in the Sphinx or the Cronus. I have been aiming at the Cronus but the initial very positive reviews of the Sphinx have made me start to take a second look as it's considerably cheaper...I just don't want to lose the tube sound that I currently enjoy....

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:20 pm »
I just don't want to lose the tube sound that I currently enjoy....

Silverspike RubyTube :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:27 pm »
Thanks for all the answers , much appreciated.  I currently use a JWN KT-88-based custom amp with a Mapletree Ultra 4A SE pre with my ST's and it sounds great but now need to downsize hence the interest in the Sphinx or the Cronus. I have been aiming at the Cronus but the initial very positive reviews of the Sphinx have made me start to take a second look as it's considerably cheaper...I just don't want to lose the tube sound that I currently enjoy....

If you don' t want to lose that tube sound, then safest bet is to go all-tube.

Is there no way to audition both for you? If not and you get a Cronus used, if you don't like it you'd probably be able to sell for around what you paid and only be out the cost of shipping.

Over on Audio Asylum AbeCollins was not a big fan of the more expensive Rogue hybrids that he has heard. But he is a big fan of the Stereo 90, and he is now running a Rogue integrated (forget which one).

Alexdad54

« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:34 pm »
I'm in Vancouver so shippng costs are a major factor so it looks like I'll have to take a trip south to Seattle to the Rogue dealer there and give both the Sphinx and the Cronus a listen..
AFAIK, AbeCollins and now Dynobot over on AA are using the Cronus Magnum. but there are raves there as well for the Sphinx....
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013, 04:38 pm by Alexdad54 »

Ericus Rex

« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm »
If you don' t want to lose that tube sound, then safest bet is to go all-tube.

I suspect Roscoe is right here.  I'm sure the Sphinx is a great sounding unit but nothing, NOTHING I've heard that claims to have 'that tube sound without the tubes' has delivered.  The magic's in the bottle, most of it being in the power tubes.

medium jim

« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:40 pm »
I suspect Roscoe is right here.  I'm sure the Sphinx is a great sounding unit but nothing, NOTHING I've heard that claims to have 'that tube sound without the tubes' has delivered.  The magic's in the bottle, most of it being in the power tubes.

So true...

Jim

rpf

« Reply #31 on: 30 Apr 2013, 05:52 pm »

Alexdad54

« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2013, 05:56 pm »
Point taken!  :thumb:
Now all I have to do is wait for a Cronus Magnum to come along......

decal

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2013, 06:15 pm »
Also agree.

Me, three. No glass, just won't pass !!!!!!

ltr317

« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2013, 03:26 am »
Me four.  Hybrids. or tube preamp and non-tube power amp, or non-tube preamp and tube power amp don't have the full tube sound. 

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2013, 12:15 pm »
Somehow I thought this thread was supposed to be about a hypex-powered amp...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2013, 02:22 pm »
Me four.  Hybrids. or tube preamp and non-tube power amp, or non-tube preamp and tube power amp don't have the full tube sound.

Yes however do we want coloration or accuracy? For years I used all tubed systems. From Audio Research to CJ lastly SET custom Cyber 211s with NOS GE, RCA and United 211 tubes. Sounded great until we tried a hybrid class "D" amps in direct comparison. Yes the all tubed system was cozy and colored. Colored in a natural way but veiled and dark in direct comparison.  One size does not fit all.
    Realism, slam, presence in spades. Tonally correct with all the harmonics in tact. The concept of the Rouge is interesting especially for the right price. $15,000 and $12,000 for hypex modules is a bit of a stretch. Good to see one priced within reach.

charles

medium jim

« Reply #37 on: 1 May 2013, 03:07 pm »
   Yes however do we want coloration or accuracy? For years I used all tubed systems. From Audio Research to CJ lastly SET custom Cyber 211s with NOS GE, RCA and United 211 tubes. Sounded great until we tried a hybrid class "D" amps in direct comparison. Yes the all tubed system was cozy and colored. Colored in a natural way but veiled and dark in direct comparison.  One size does not fit all.
    Realism, slam, presence in spades. Tonally correct with all the harmonics in tact. The concept of the Rouge is interesting especially for the right price. $15,000 and $12,000 for hypex modules is a bit of a stretch. Good to see one priced within reach.

charles

Funny, I get all of that except for the dark and veiled from my all tube setup :scratch:

Jim

rpf

« Reply #38 on: 1 May 2013, 03:42 pm »
Funny, I get all of that except for the dark and veiled from my all tube setup :scratch:

Jim

Agreed. And I have yet to hear a hypex module that gets all the tonal harmonics right. And I have heard professionally (by a well respected resident here) modded NCores and the Arions.

Maybe the Dueland Cast cap upgrade will get it right, Charles. Looking forward to hearing it.  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #39 on: 1 May 2013, 06:18 pm »
Agreed. And I have yet to hear a hypex module that gets all the tonal harmonics right. And I have heard professionally (by a well respected resident here) modded NCores and the Arions.

Maybe the Dueland Cast cap upgrade will get it right, Charles. Looking forward to hearing it.  :thumb:

Class D seems very sensitive to caps, cables, etc... basically needs lots of tweaking to get good sound. Whether it's as good or better than a well designed tube amp depends mostly on the speakers it's driving IMO.