Re: Thinking about a classic car
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:34 pm »
Tried compatability mode....a few times.....  :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:35 pm »
Nevermind....I'm done. I tried to PM Mark, but it won't me do that either. Peace out dudes......

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:27 pm »

Try Google Chrome.  8)

Sorry OP, but I'm a GM guy. There are a few Ferds I'd like to have but not too many............especially that I could afford. Have you looked at trying to find a Buick Skylark GSX? How about a Nova? My first car was a 1970 Nova SS. Wish I had that car today.  :(
How about a 70-72 Monte Carlo?

TONEPUB

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm »
Spend a weekend at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale.  If you can get there for opening day on Thursday.  We used to call it "codger day" because most people were at work and just the old guys were at the auction.  That's when the great bargains are to be had.  Not as many guys with deep pockets on thurs.

Plus, you can usually find a lot of the owners/sellers there that might be able to lead you to some other cars as well.

And, January in Scottsdale is a pretty nice time, weather wise!

china

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:19 am »
You might want to try "Auto Trader Classics"........bought a couple of Excaliburs........still........buyer beware!!!

As always, all the best!!!

China

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2011, 02:58 am »
If you want to travel, the Labor Day auction in Auburn IN is always nice for that kind of car. RM Auctions now, used to be Kruse.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:42 am »
A flurry of responses!

Thanks Bob, I will join that forum and see what I can mine for data on the old Galaxie's.

Thanks too for the other advice, looks like a few leads in terms of finding one.  There are local ones on Kijiji etc, but I am still in research mode, looking for what to look for in a used one etc.

Auctions sound interesting, but the only ones I have ever seen are the really expensive Barrett Jackson ones, I have never seen anything on TV about a 5-10K ride at those.

The RM Auctions one is interesting, their HQ is about 150 miles from me, and they are clients of my firm, so I will be able to ask questions of some of their folks for sure, in my quest.

Thanks guys!

In answer to the queries about other cars - yes, I have considered a couple of other makes and models, but I really am a Ford guy, and I don't want a muscle car, I just want a mid to late 60's ride with a V8 in it.

I do like the Cutlass and the early 70's Monte Carlo's, but they don't connect with me like the older Fords do.

Lots of great older cars out there, you might as well pick one that hits you emotionally!

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:44 pm »
Since you are a Ford guy (me too) don't forget the Mercury line. Late 60s, say 68 was a nice year for body styling. The Cougar, Monterrey and Montego are worthy of adding to you wish list. Also, don't forget about the Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors  :thumb:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
Since you are a Ford guy (me too) don't forget the Mercury line. Late 60s, say 68 was a nice year for body styling. The Cougar, Monterrey and Montego are worthy of adding to you wish list. Also, don't forget about the Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors  :thumb:

I would own an XR7 for sure.  8)

MaxCast

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2011, 03:24 pm »
I'm more of a Chevy guy but I love this style of Mustang

Cobras are nice too  :wink:

My youngest son is a Ford guy  :dunno:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2011, 03:58 pm »
Seeing how I'm a GM guy, there are 3 Rustangs I would own......a 65' type K fastback, a 70' Boss 429 and this one. A buddy of mine had one exactly like this when I was in high school. Very rare car, the 351 Boss and not appreciated by most because of it's size, but it was a very fast car.  8)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:18 pm »
I'm a GM guy, but there's one Ford that I'd have to bow down to, it's the 'Stang seen in the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds"
The car is a Mustang Shelby GT500 called, "Eleanor":

Photos >> HERE <<.

mcgsxr

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:53 pm »
A very nice bunch of options for sure.

Mitigating factors for me include comfort for 4, and an overall length limit of 215 inches, based on garage room on the right hand side of the garage.  Convertibles are fine, but for the $ I am likely to spend, I doubt I will see any.

Mercury's are cool, there are several I would own for sure.  There was a late 60's XR-7 at a local meet last week ,drop top, and redone to factory spec front to back.  Lovely piece, but likely in the 40K range.  WAY over what I will invest for what I want.

I just want a car that can hold the 4 of us, be reliable enough for local 100 mile drives, and fit in the available garage spot for the summer.  For winter storage my father in law has plenty of room.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:58 pm »
A very nice bunch of options for sure.

Mitigating factors for me include comfort for 4, and an overall length limit of 213 inches, based on garage room on the right hand side of the garage.  Convertibles are fine, but for the $ I am likely to spend, I doubt I will see any.

Mercury's are cool, there are several I would own for sure.  There was a late 60's XR-7 at a local meet last week ,drop top, and redone to factory spec front to back.  Lovely piece, but likely in the 40K range.  WAY over what I will invest for what I want.

I just want a car that can hold the 4 of us, be reliable enough for local 100 mile drives, and fit in the available garage spot for the summer.  For winter storage my father in law has plenty of room.

You will likely have to;

A) Buy something that is not desired by most (rules out mustangs, chevelles, camaros, etc.)

B) Buy something that you're going to have to put a fair amount of sweat equity into to make it a driver, or

C) Raise your budget.  :lol:

WGH

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm »
My brother in Toledo, OH has two classic cars he wants to sell.

1985 Chevy Monte Carlo, silver grey with the 1/2 landau vinyl top, wire wheel hubcaps, V8, automatic, 40,800 original miles. My Dad bought the car new and when he passed in '87 my Mom drove it a few miles every week for shopping so it really was driven by a little old lady on weekends. It has always been garaged so it looks like it was just driven off the showroom floor. Mom turns 89 this year but hasn't driven in 10 years, my brother takes it out once in a while to blow out the cobwebs.

'55 Ford F100 pickup, V8, automatic, power steering, color: faded blue and rust.

My brother is a BMW mechanic so everything works and the vehicles can be driven home.

PM me if interested.

Wayne

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jul 2011, 02:37 am »
Thanks for the offers - the 85 is too new for me, and the pickup won't hold all 4 of us.

I know I will buy something less desirable - only the 7 Litre Galaxies are worth anything, so most are 5-10K (and at that price have had the motor and tranny done recently, and often have been painted in the last 10 years).

I am willing to do interior work, but won't tackle a car that needs paint, or needs a rebuild.

I am willing to drive a sedan too, which most avoid like the plague!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com

mcgsxr

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jul 2011, 02:03 pm »
I find that eBay is a fun place to watch cars, but most auctions for cars of interest have reserves, and few make it there.  It will help me establish a reasonable handle on what the market really is for these cars, but there are 100's of former US cars around Toronto, and being able to see, touch and drive one will bear in my decision.

Not saying that eBay is not a possibility - my best friend picked up a 2001 911 4S convertible from AZ off eBay this year.  I am familiar with what he went through for shipping, taxes, plating etc, but my pref will be for a local car.  It will just take some time.

I will watch with interest to see what happens to the average prices as the Fall comes, and folks have to decide if they want to store it etc.

I owned 32 motorcycles in the past, so I am very familiar with how prices often drop when the storage season comes...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.