How are you driving?

JohnR

Re: How are you driving?
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2011, 02:48 pm »
Hi John/TCG, I wasn't originally referring to Stop-Start (now I have a name for it!) but the use of zero fuel when coasting. Stop-Start in my car is not all that refined but I am sure that it will improve in subsequent models. e.g. if you could program a ten-second delay before the "stop." I am totally into the idea of cars that will just "by default" be super efficient but will just spin the wheels when you override it on command  8) probably when I'm 85 and can't renew my licence any more  :lol:

enjoythemusic

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2011, 03:31 pm »
Gas price was very tangential to my OP.  I didn't ask why it was high; I only stated the fact (don't need no agreement) that it's high.  Isn't there already a thread that's going on and on about the why?

Ahhh ok, my bad :(

So if I wasn't clear before on the OP, here is the question:  how are you driving your gas guzzler?

Driving it like normal. Fortunately tracking a race car cured me of speeding on public roadways. So simple normal driving here.

tesseract

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2011, 07:00 am »
As long as the clutch is engaged (and the car is coasting), the wheels keep the motor turning. So it doesn't need any fuel. The motor is not really idling in that case, it's being "pushed around" by the wheels. As far as I can tell, the electronics just shut off the fuel supply as it's not needed.

According to Car and Driver, this is correct for almost any vehicle. I read that if the powertrain and the drivetrain are engaged, the engine is "pushed around" by the wheels, NO gas is being sent to the valvetrain. It's been this way for years, probably since the advent of EFI.