Underpowered car speakers.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Underpowered car speakers.
« on: 22 Mar 2011, 07:58 pm »
So we were driving up to CT from VA a couple of weeks ago.  We were listening to Sirius radio and my wife said, "the music doesn't sound as good as your old car."   I was thinking just that the other day and so I told here what I thought, "I don't think the amp(s) are powerful enough to drive the (12) speakers cleanly."  She agreed that may be the case and asked me if I can fix that.  Who am I say to say no?

So I have the Sony 12 Speaker "audiophile" audio with SYNC in my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.  I love the SYNC connectivity and functions.  Is there a way to keep the front end and just "replace" the amp(s)?  Is there like pre-outs from the "radio" that can be fed into new amps? 

mcgsxr

Re: Underpowered car speakers.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2011, 10:15 pm »
I am taking delivery of a 2009 Fusion with Sync and the "audiophile" stereo this coming Monday.  During the test drive I was underwhelmed by the stock system, but enamoured with the Sync.

I believe there are some wiring kits that allow interfacing with the stock head unit and retaining it, and using an aftermarket amp.  I am unclear on whether or not you could then simply tie in the stock speakers.

I am OK with the general presentation of the sound in the 09, it has only 8 speakers.  What I seek it decent bass, but I am unwilling to put a box in the trunk.  The stock system has 2 6x9 woofers in the rear deck, and a dedicated amp apparently.

I will be looking for replacement 6x9 woofers (very rare these days it would seem), or 6.5 woofers that can be run IB (no box).

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
Been driving the car since Monday - the older 8 speaker system is OK - not as good as the Zapco/Orion setup I had in my old Accord, but it is a stock setup.

Very happy with the Sync - ripped some tunes onto a usb stick, and plugged that into the usb port, and now have 16gb of tunes in the car!  Quite cool for a stock system, I have to say.

Good luck with the amp upgrade - I have seen a device calld the JL Audio Cleansweep that can tie your stock head unit, to aftermarket amps - the trick will then be tapping back into the stock speaker wiring, to then play through the stock speakers.

For 12 speakers, you will need 2 amps I would think though.  Gonna eat into the trunk space for sure.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=92

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2011, 04:26 pm »
Thanks Mark,

That's an interesting product.  I will look into it.  I don't want to take up too much of the trunk since it's already a little truncated.   8) 
At least I know I don't have to get a second battery to power the new amps.