Why the hate?

Bizarroterl

Re: Why the hate?
« Reply #140 on: 12 Jul 2017, 10:03 pm »
It's just jealousy.  People own a home in CA, sell it for a fortune, then move somewhere else.  They then buy a better home for a fraction of what they sold their CA home for.  Money left over for a new car(s), whatever. 

I saw the interview with one of the CA expatriates.  Looked to be really nice.  Definitely an asset to Portland, unlike the loser that trashed their vehicle and home.  :nono:

stlrman

« Reply #141 on: 13 Jul 2017, 12:00 am »
You must see Portlandia!!

Emil

« Reply #142 on: 15 Jul 2017, 12:40 pm »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #143 on: 15 Jul 2017, 01:44 pm »
Let's get back to the subject in hand...

...can we make the Prius non-existent?

:green:
I hope you don't need this pointed out to you but your comments would indicate that an important consideration has escaped your notice. The Prius is an inanimate object (like a gun) and therefore it must be noted that Prius cars do not go slow in any lane -- their drivers do.
Are you assuming that those drivers would change their habits if they owned a different car?
Out here in cowboy country, the worst offenders are the geezers who always drive slow on business corridors as if they were in a parade. They will drive the entire length of Patterson Ave. in the fast lane at 25 - 30 mph. If you want to take advantage of the 35 mph limit (some stretches 45) you'll have to pass him on the right. This is 2 or 3 lanes in each direction for about 10 miles. I think getting stuck behind one of these anachronistic yahoos would piss you off just as much as a Prius does.
In order to grasp what has happened with the Prius, you should recognize this: It's announcement was heavy with foreboding for the oil companies, domestic car manufacturers and other unspecified entities. In response, they lobbied their media puppets to generate doubt about the merits of the Prius years before they became common on our streets. Low info types ( Bose buyers) of the world adopted and repeated these fallacies as if they had some knowledge the rest of us were missing. Net result is the bias you have in your mind now. This whole thread is a testimony to the effectiveness of their efforts. In much the same way, I encounter negatives about horn based loudspeakers because of reviews in High Fidelity magazine and Stereo Review 35 years ago. If something can be implanted via sufficient repetition, it may well become common knowledge ............. even though it is dead wrong.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #144 on: 15 Jul 2017, 01:56 pm »
I was cut off twice in the last two weeks by aggressively driving Prius drivers, and I don't drive slow.  Go figure.

sunnydaze

« Reply #145 on: 15 Jul 2017, 02:01 pm »
I was cut off twice in the last two weeks by aggressively driving Prius drivers, and I don't drive slow.  Go figure.

They read this thread and are pissed off.      :lol:

CSI

« Reply #146 on: 15 Jul 2017, 05:27 pm »
Years ago when we were having a "gas crises" the speed limits were moved down to 55 mph for a while. My next-door neighbor bragged about driving from So Cal to Las Vegas IN THE FAST LANE and never exceeding the limit. He said he lost count of the number of drivers who passed him on the right and flipped him off. I asked him why on earth he didn't move over. He said, "I was driving fast enough!" This kind of idiocy is still common. No sense of courtesy, and absolutely no sense of normal traffic flow (engineers study traffic flow and THEN set the limits within the range of the law). CHP guys understand this and won't usually ticket a "speeder" unless he is out there hot dogging it by himself and/or pushing up toward triple digits.

So it ain't the Prius, it's the dumb, smug, self-righteous driver. Although that kind of driver may gravitate toward a Prius.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #147 on: 15 Jul 2017, 06:32 pm »
But would I still be able to use the HOV lane?

http://www.thedrive.com/tuned-af/12476/these-guys-are-swapping-a-1000-hp-hellcat-engine-into-a-prius-because-why-not

What a waste of an engine.

It reminds me of the Bisimoto Honda Odyssey with 1029 HP; fast but no work on the suspension, handling, or braking makes useless.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #148 on: 15 Jul 2017, 06:56 pm »
Not sure how it measures up right now, but the Prius had one of the lowest drag co-effiency numbers out there a few years ago. From what little I bothered to read, it appears that all they are using is the Prius body. Maybe that explains the thinking behind the project.
Another thing to consider about that Prius driver is he may be old. He may be in no hurry. He may be pissing you off because he is doing the speed limit where and when you want to break the law. Maybe he's just not a gambler.
Or maybe you need to listen to yourself. He's in your way. Your way? It's a public roadway that belongs to all of us.
Maybe you need to chill. This is really all about you wanting your way and complaining about it not going your way, your way, your way.
I'm going to write you a prescription for guided meditation. You need to chill. Try leaving enough time so you can absorb the inevitable delay, whether it's Prius caused or the result of being pulled over for speeding.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #149 on: 15 Jul 2017, 06:58 pm »
I hope you don't need this pointed out to you but your comments would indicate that an important consideration has escaped your notice. The Prius is an inanimate object (like a gun) and therefore it must be noted that Prius cars do not go slow in any lane -- their drivers do.
Are you assuming that those drivers would change their habits if they owned a different car?
Out here in cowboy country, the worst offenders are the geezers who always drive slow on business corridors as if they were in a parade. They will drive the entire length of Patterson Ave. in the fast lane at 25 - 30 mph. If you want to take advantage of the 35 mph limit (some stretches 45) you'll have to pass him on the right. This is 2 or 3 lanes in each direction for about 10 miles. I think getting stuck behind one of these anachronistic yahoos would piss you off just as much as a Prius does.
In order to grasp what has happened with the Prius, you should recognize this: It's announcement was heavy with foreboding for the oil companies, domestic car manufacturers and other unspecified entities. In response, they lobbied their media puppets to generate doubt about the merits of the Prius years before they became common on our streets. Low info types ( Bose buyers) of the world adopted and repeated these fallacies as if they had some knowledge the rest of us were missing. Net result is the bias you have in your mind now. This whole thread is a testimony to the effectiveness of their efforts. In much the same way, I encounter negatives about horn based loudspeakers because of reviews in High Fidelity magazine and Stereo Review 35 years ago. If something can be implanted via sufficient repetition, it may well become common knowledge ............. even though it is dead wrong.

There are many reasons to hate the Prius car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04MXepYiBs

There are many more reasons to hate the Prius driver...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIN7Vc9rmaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAti31IlJY

Most of us are not against fuel efficient cars. The Prius isn't one we will buy.

Emil

« Reply #150 on: 5 Aug 2018, 07:04 pm »

Bizarroterl

« Reply #151 on: 9 Aug 2018, 08:38 pm »
Around here you could say just about anything about Prius drivers and it would be true.  The Prius is by far the most popular car on the road.  Car going slow in the fast lane?  Since most of the cars are Prius(s?) a Prius is probably the one going slow.  Someone barreling down on you?  Probably a Prius.  Someone just pulled out in front of you?  Probably a Prius.  That car next to you?  Probably a Prius.  The car you're driving?  Probably a Prius.   :lol:

srb

« Reply #152 on: 9 Aug 2018, 09:08 pm »
The Prius is by far the most popular car on the road.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.  While it might possibly be the most popular HYBRID automobile on the road, it has not been in the top twenty (or top fifty?) auto sales and registration in any year.

If a car is going slow in the fast lane, is barreling down on you, pulls out in front of you or is next to you, the safe bet is that it's NOT a Prius!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #153 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:11 am »
The Prius is by far the most hated car on the road.

Fixed.

rodge827

« Reply #154 on: 11 Aug 2018, 09:59 am »
Years ago when we were having a "gas crises" the speed limits were moved down to 55 mph for a while. My next-door neighbor bragged about driving from So Cal to Las Vegas IN THE FAST LANE and never exceeding the limit. He said he lost count of the number of drivers who passed him on the right and flipped him off. I asked him why on earth he didn't move over. He said, "I was driving fast enough!" This kind of idiocy is still common. No sense of courtesy, and absolutely no sense of normal traffic flow (engineers study traffic flow and THEN set the limits within the range of the law). CHP guys understand this and won't usually ticket a "speeder" unless he is out there hot dogging it by himself and/or pushing up toward triple digits.

So it ain't the Prius, it's the dumb, smug, self-righteous driver.

I have a family member who drives like this! My guess is it makes him feel empowered in a passive aggressive way, and gets his jollies by pissing off other drivers.

I'm from NJ and if your not doing 80+ mph Da Boyz will run you down, and plant your slow a$$ in a shallow grave in the Pine Barrens. A few years back we went to Phoenix to visit my in-laws. The flight was delayed, the rental agent took too long, and we were late for dinner. So I'm doin' the Turnpike shuffle, flipping off a few slow pokes, and aggressively pushing others around. Hey we're late and I'm hungry so Get Out Of My Way! Then my wife kindly reminds me Arizona is a concealed weapons state. I'm like "so that guy in the Malibu is probably carrying and isn't afraid to use it?  Yep! We were late for dinner!

Chris   

Bizarroterl

« Reply #155 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:03 pm »
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.  While it might possibly be the most popular HYBRID automobile on the road, it has not been in the top twenty (or top fifty?) auto sales and registration in any year.

If a car is going slow in the fast lane, is barreling down on you, pulls out in front of you or is next to you, the safe bet is that it's NOT a Prius!
Where I live it is.  When I'm on the local roads there's always at least 3 that are close by. 

RDavidson

« Reply #156 on: 12 Aug 2018, 03:14 am »
What a waste of an engine.

It reminds me of the Bisimoto Honda Odyssey with 1029 HP; fast but no work on the suspension, handling, or braking makes useless.

The Honda is not a very good example to use here as I'm quite positive they did rework the suspension, handling, and braking. That was kind of the point of it. Watch videos if it. Then watch videos of a regular Odyssey and you'll quickly see. But anyway...I get what you're saying. People do silly stuff with cars, houses, boats, weapons, audio gear, just because they can, NOT because it makes sense.

Emil

« Reply #157 on: 25 Dec 2018, 04:12 pm »
AWD Prius!

Second motor in the back to drive to rear wheels. Cool :thumb:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/12/2019-toyota-prius-awd-e-review-first-drive/

JakeJ

« Reply #158 on: 25 Dec 2018, 05:32 pm »
That is prety cool, Emil.  Now if they could just wrap it in something a bit nicer in the style department.

Just never cared for the Prius body style.  Too many angles, not enough curves.