I need a Cheep and Cheerful Stereo Receiver Recommendation

Doublej

My 20 year old Teac all-in-one is croaking so I am looking for a stereo receiver replacement. It would be nice to have Bluetooth and/or wireless networking but it's not a hard requirement.

Of the standard cast of characters (Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha) which would go with these days? Or is there a better choice? I sometimes wonder if a last year AVR is not a better value than a stereo receiver but wonder about sound quality and reliability. I do have a Yamaha AVR that sounds OK.

At the low end of consideration is a Yamaha R-202S or Pioneer SX-10AE or possibly a Sony. Sitting in the middle is a Deon AVR-S640H and sitting at the upper end of cheep is the Integra DTM-40.7 or Onkyo TX-8260.

Unfortunately no one appears to make a high quality stereo receiver anymore. It's all about features (phono input, second zone, networking, built in apps) as one moves up the price point.

Slam

Re: I need a Cheep and Cheerful Stereo Receiver Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:20 pm »
The one by Outlaw Audio looks interesting but not especially cheap. My idea of a cheap and cheerful receiver involves whatever I can find in my local thrift store.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2018, 12:27 am »
Hi, what speakers are you using? Is it for movies, music or both? How many channels?

Check out this review of the Yamaha

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-149-yamaha-rs-202-stereo-receiver-wowed-the-audiophiliac/

I would get this Integra DTR 30.4 or the DTM 40.7 you have your eye on:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr304/integra-dtr-30.4-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:06 am »
You can find the marantz nr-1608 on close out for $500, new model is $749. 

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:18 am »
After my recent dealings with Onkyo, I would suggest you cross that company off of your list.

apstoltz

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:23 am »
The onkyo 8270 is packed with plenty of features with a simple front panel.

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:03 am »
I totally endorse those recommendations for the "Accessories4less" option.  Near perfect experience with this vendor on multiple purchases. 

apstoltz

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:27 pm »
I totally endorse those recommendations for the "Accessories4less" option.  Near perfect experience with this vendor on multiple purchases.

I echo the same. I have bought 4 different items from them and have had a great experience.

Sparky14

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:13 pm »
I have the DTM-40.7 from Accessories4Less - very pleased with it.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:54 pm »
After my recent dealings with Onkyo, I would suggest you cross that company off of your list.

What happened?

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:07 pm »
I'd go Yamaha or Marantz for affordable receivers.

I'd even consider a slim HT receiver from Marantz for 2 channel use - just for the digital inputs, bluetooth, airplay etc - you can find that in certain 2 channel receivers, but it is on almost ALL HT receivers.

They all suffer from HDMI board failure over time, but the Onkyo's suffered in the marketplace over the past couple of years with a lot of public outcry around their failures.

Wish I could leverage accessories4less, but being in Canada the shipping is a killer on the otherwise VERY appealing deals.

asliarun

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2018, 10:44 pm »

I'd even consider a slim HT receiver from Marantz for 2 channel use - just for the digital inputs, bluetooth, airplay etc - you can find that in certain 2 channel receivers, but it is on almost ALL HT receivers.

I ended up doing the same thing. Went with a Marantz slimline receiver and used its stereo preouts to feed it to a power amp.
Has been working fine for a few years now. And i got it from accessories4less as well.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2018, 10:53 pm »
My 20 year old Teac all-in-one is croaking so I am looking for a stereo receiver replacement. It would be nice to have Bluetooth and/or wireless networking but it's not a hard requirement.

Of the standard cast of characters (Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha) which would go with these days? Or is there a better choice? I sometimes wonder if a last year AVR is not a better value than a stereo receiver but wonder about sound quality and reliability. I do have a Yamaha AVR that sounds OK.

At the low end of consideration is a Yamaha R-202S or Pioneer SX-10AE or possibly a Sony. Sitting in the middle is a Deon AVR-S640H and sitting at the upper end of cheep is the Integra DTM-40.7 or Onkyo TX-8260.

Unfortunately no one appears to make a high quality stereo receiver anymore. It's all about features (phono input, second zone, networking, built in apps) as one moves up the price point.

Currently I have an Onkyo TX-SR674. It is probably 22 years old. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Sound depends on speakers. 
    I use Polk book shelf speakers. They are the front speakers in my surround sound system. Not my main audio system.
    Sound pretty good to me when I play a DVD or blue-ray disc.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2018, 04:09 am »
For a truly cheap and cheerful amp, take a look at this Dayton Audio DTA120BT integrated.  I have the older DTA-100a and it works great.  I use it for a bedroom system with 6 ohm Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers.  It drives them pretty loud with a wide sound stage, powerful bass with excellent air and transparency.  It blew me away when I first heard it.  The newer DTA120 has more power, better binding posts and RCA connectors.  Parts express has them on sale for $76.  Pair it with a speaker that has a sensitivity of at least 88db and 14g speaker wire and it will play very loud.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120bt-class-d-mini-amplifier-60-wpc-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--300-3802?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnk09eqbbuUcQ5vCJZSeNzAQSu6lbnMDJfApxzPCBUl7VcyVR3TDwYPxoCfeQQAvD_BwE

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2018, 05:43 am »
I ended up doing the same thing. Went with a Marantz slimline receiver and used its stereo preouts to feed it to a power amp.
Has been working fine for a few years now. And i got it from accessories4less as well.

Which one did you get? What do you like and don't like from it?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2018, 04:53 pm »
  NAD BBE series or Rotel new or used.

charles

apstoltz

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2018, 07:55 pm »
For a truly cheap and cheerful amp, take a look at this Dayton Audio DTA120BT integrated.  I have the older DTA-100a and it works great.  I use it for a bedroom system with 6 ohm Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers.  It drives them pretty loud with a wide sound stage, powerful bass with excellent air and transparency.  It blew me away when I first heard it.  The newer DTA120 has more power, better binding posts and RCA connectors.  Parts express has them on sale for $76.  Pair it with a speaker that has a sensitivity of at least 88db and 14g speaker wire and it will play very loud.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120bt-class-d-mini-amplifier-60-wpc-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--300-3802?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnk09eqbbuUcQ5vCJZSeNzAQSu6lbnMDJfApxzPCBUl7VcyVR3TDwYPxoCfeQQAvD_BwE

The smsl q-5 pro is pretty impressive as well with digital inputs and a sub out.