My first tube phono stage. Hagerman Cornet3 MM

willjk

My first tube phono stage. Hagerman Cornet3 MM
« on: 14 Mar 2024, 10:58 pm »
I bought it used of course and it came with the stock Mullard 12AX7 (2) and 12AU7 (1).  The seller also threw in a RCA ECC82 clear top and 2 JJ.

My equipment is mid-fi’ish. Upgraded Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (alum sub-plater and 2M Blue cart) NAD 3368 running Arendal 1961 towers. Super clean neutral amp/speaker combo that packs a lot of punch.

LP wise I like to listen to anything “rock” “alternative” that has good production behind it like Radiohead and Tool

I love the preamp so far.  For instance The Smile’s first album (Tommy York project band) has a greater presence to where I can almost see the instruments being played. Wonderful.

My question - I’ve already gone down the rabbity hole on learning what I can about picking tubes but does anyone have any recommendations for tubes that will compliment my equipment for my type of music.

I’m new to tubes so feel free to give this rookie a hard time (in good fun) while pointing me in some direction because there is a lot of info and choices to sift through…

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: My first tube phono stage. Hagerman Cornet3 MM
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2024, 11:13 pm »
Jim H makes very good gear for very reasonable prices.  I'm using one of his Trumpet designs that replaced a more expensive unit.  As far as tube rolling, I'd say trust the tubes that are in it, for now.  Those RCA clear tops are often considered pretty good, and JJ's have their strong points.  Swap those out for a while.  Later, if you decide you are looking for more _____ (warmth, detail, soundstage, etc) you can read up and look for bargain pairs on Ebay.  My experience is that no tube does it all... they have strengths and weaknesses.   

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2024, 11:30 pm »
As far as new production 12AX7, the Gold Lion is one of the best around. Open up to some NOS tubes and there's a plethora of good options with all different flavors. Luckily tube rolling in that will be easy and cost effective to try everything under the sun. Enjoy the journey!

willjk

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2024, 11:41 pm »
I’m also trying to understand the 3rd tub in the amp. I believe the 2 12AX7’s are last in line with 1 for each LR channel (hence the need for a balanced pair in those 2 spots)? What does the one lone 12AU7 do in this mix? Is it part of the gain stage so its signature is “upstream” from the other 2 and will affect the signature feeding those left right channel tubes?  Did I get that right? 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2024, 02:50 am »
Send an email to Jim.  He's pretty good about getting back to customers.  Just ask him which tubes are recommended for that unit.