Qobuz vs.ripped cds, is it just me?

GSDaudio

Re: Qobuz vs.ripped cds, is it just me?
« Reply #120 on: 3 Jun 2021, 02:43 pm »
And that's why streaming sounds worse than CDs, not because it happens to be in MQA or FLAC or AAC or whatever. The master quality is the biggest issue here. That's my 2 cents on this topic. Feel free to disagree.

+ 1 on that!

I get the sense the streaming industry along with music labels are purposely "re-mastering" the quality towards iPods and bluetooth.....audiophiles are a small group and will pay for a new genre in the future...."original recordings"...at a premium price and with who knows what encodings!   My sense is driven by the fact hedge funds are buying up music catalogs from Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan etc. and hedge funds will use an asset to make money.  I hope I'm wrong!

Jon L

« Reply #121 on: 3 Jun 2021, 03:48 pm »
every time I'd much rather listen to the Quboz version than my local version...very odd. I even had a high res version locally and a 44.1k version from Quboz...again, Quboz was 'better'.

I thought the value of Amazon Music HD would be new, modern high-resolution albums. 
However, the largest blessing has been finding old albums that have been remastered with great SQ, including 24 bit/96kHz remasters. 
For example, my teen years' favorite Metalllica Album "Kill 'Em All" (1983, their first album) is available in 24/96 and sounds unbelievable good!

jobiwon

« Reply #122 on: 4 Jun 2021, 05:22 pm »
Lots of debate regarding this over on the audiogon digital forum. :popcorn:   :duel:

I stream qobuz a fair amount and I am always amazed how good it & radioparadise sounds at 16/48 stream.  But I will have to concur that CD/Vinyl sound a bit better in my system, but not much.

SGC ST Roon Core
BDP pi  (MPD little bit better sq than roon)
Wadia 321
Lynksys Mesh network, SGC  hardwired to node
Cat 6 cabling