TV on top of center channel?

gregcss

TV on top of center channel?
« on: 1 Jun 2017, 01:38 am »
Got a new TV and I dont trust on the TV cabinet swivel mount. While rated 130lbs, the TV is 60lbs and the bolts are a bit to small head for the mounting brackets. Here's what I am thinking - my salk supercharged center is a beast and likely well braced. Why not put the TV on the mount it came with then put on top of the center speaker? Of course i'd put some protection between the TV and speaker. Thoughts?

For reference: the speaker fully covers the spread of the TV mount.

Phil A

Re: TV on top of center channel?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:08 am »
Can also use a TV Riser - up to you

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:14 am »
This is just an example - https://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-Swivel-2-Tier-Entertainment-Center/dp/B00TKXPYPY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1496283129&sr=8-11&keywords=tv+riser+stand

You will have a problem with the center channel when it is sitting on the floor and the reflections coming from the drivers and the floor reach you.  A proper riser can also mean that you can place things under the front of the center channel to point it upward and minimize such problems

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:16 am »
Can also use a TV Riser - up to you
That is a good idea too. I'll scope out if there is one the SC songcenter can fit under and be sturdy enough for a large tv. Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:51 am »
If you are into DIY, it is not all that difficult to get stuff like - http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-12-in-x-Random-Length-S4S-Oak-Board-22080/207059039?keyword=1x12+oak

Figure the top and bottom length and then what you need for the sides (you can even have them cut it).  You can secure them together with L shaped brackets and wood screws (e.g. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Corner-Braces-4-Pack-13542/202950157).  A little sanding and paint and you can even angle the bottom piece up so that it points up properly (and if 12 inches is too deep for the center channel to stick out inside the enclosure get 10 inches or whatever so that the front of the speaker is in front of it).  Then a hole saw to drill a hole in the back so you can attach speaker wires.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:54 am »
In my old house I needed extra storage for Blu-Rays and DVDs and I did a little project of a similar nature as I need something to fit in a particular space in the room and couldn't find anything close.  Here's a pic when it was almost done

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:56 am »
Here's where it ended up

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:00 am »
Your TV should be no problem.  I have my 42 inch relic Panasonic plasma resting on my VMPS CC for years.  The bracing on these anal retentively designed speakers on AC are not your average mid-high end speaker.  No worries, mate!

gregcss

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2017, 10:04 pm »
I decided against doing this. I've had a tv mounted 30+ inches high (measured at the base of the TV to the floor) for the last 3 years. I put the new TV directly on the cabinet which sits 21" high. I feel more immersed in video content. So my solution is to get a new cabinet with large enough space for center speaker built into it and still retain 20-21" height. Thanks for the suggestions above.