Purpose of square fat dots

ricardojoa

Purpose of square fat dots
« on: 4 Aug 2012, 03:08 pm »
What is the purpose of square fat dots or those similar product?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Purpose of square fat dots
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2012, 06:05 pm »
The purpose is to bring out more of the inherent potential of your audio gear, to give you a beneficial sonic improvement. Square Fat Dots are made of a proprietary material that we call "dBNeutralizer" that is used primarily as a decoupling interface that blocks the transfer of vibration between other materials and absorbs micro-vibration at the surfaces of materials it is in contact with. They are used primarily for loudspeaker support as a decoupling/isolation interface between speaker and stand or between speaker and floor, though they have many other potential uses. Fat Dots, including Square Fat Dots, are described on our website here:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Best regards,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

ricardojoa

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2012, 01:12 am »
I may have the wrong expectation and obviously wrong placement of equipment.
Im limited to space, so my AVR is placed on top of my subwoofer. I put square dots at the bottom of the AVR feet. So i was listen to music at low level, and put my hands over the sub cabinet to see how much vibration it had. It sure had some vibration through the cabinets wall which of course is normal. Then i did the same with AVR, i can fell the vibration as well even with the square dot in between. So, am i having a wrong expection in about vibration control on these products?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:31 am »
I wouldn't expect ideal results with this configuration. Electronic components like the AVR usually do best with a more compliant isolation like Tenderfoot isolation feet. On top of a subwoofer, the vibrational environment is much more severe than normal, though. Four Tenderfeet each placed on a Square Fat Dot would probably give you the thorough isolation and decoupling you need. You want the Tenderfeet in direct contact with the bottom of the component chassis--not under the stock feet. (Placing compliant material under stock rubber feet tends to unconstrain the rubber material, giving it more freedom to resonate and introduce sonic anomalies.)

Taming the subwoofer better with a dBNeutralizer-based product like Big Fat Dots or Gliders underneath, between the cabinet and floor, would be vastly beneficial as well. Brings out a better-defined and deeply linear bass, and should also make the decoupling interface between sub and AVR even more efficient.

With the AVR chassis, vibrations that you can feel may not necessarily indicate any sonic problem. It's what you hear that matters, not necessarily what you can feel. Much of the vibration that causes a lot of glare and grunge in electronic components like a receiver are micro higher-frequency acute vibrations that cannot be felt or readily detected.

With your present setup, you're likely to be sending "bad" vibrations from the AVR to the sub as well as the vice-versa. A combination of Tenderfeet and Square Fat Dots would very most likely remedy that to about the best degree possible.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm »
Thanks Steve for the explanation.