How to get 2 channel fidelity in HT set-up?

Doublej

Re: How to get 2 channel fidelity in HT set-up?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2021, 11:13 pm »
If the website is current one of the local (to me) stores has both Anthem pieces.

https://www.qaudio.com/products/anthem-mrx1140

https://www.qaudio.com/products/anthem-avm70

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 2 Oct 2021, 01:29 am »
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/anthem-mrx1120-home-theater-avr-review.11911/

The 1140 is the next version of the 1120 which appears to be quite good here.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 2 Oct 2021, 02:30 am »
Found this about the Denon:

"I’m struggling here hoping for some input or advice.

I was going to get the 1140 - but holy early release problems? Plus I understand now that 4th quarter this year they will have the hdmi 2.1 upgrade as base model - early adopters will need to deal with the bugs and glitches an Anthem hopefully catches up. So I understand this and am still considering the 1140.
my last “really piss me off about the Anthem is the no analog pass through. None! Even a $200 AVR has this but not the anthem. So I cannot run thru a good DAC (it’s the old AVM 4458 in the MRX) to the 1140. the result is if I wanted to run the fronts as a 2 channel it is not able to pass a signal thru without internal re-processing. That’s the near deal breaker or actual deal breaker.

the other option for me is the Denon x6700h. I historically never considered the Denons as equal to the Anthems or better “stuff”. But the above plus the ASR review on the 60 has me nervous and definitely not trusting.
‘on to the Denon. Same place - ASR review caught Denon pulling a fast one on everybody. The unit appears to test better on ASR after their (cherry picked?) updated capacitors. Now Denon doesn’t voluntarily correct these - only if demanded. My suspicion is they save $$$ and operate corporate - no one will know if we switch and provide the better caps or not. So I have no confidence I’d get what I’m trying to buy from them. Then add the bugs from launch and the hdmi 2.1 challenges.....

‘’in summary - can I believe that Denon has made these Cap updates on the units? I hope so.....

‘what to do......I just retired/removed/sold my Anthem D2V.
if anyone has thoughts or suggestions - please feel free to comment correct or just tell me your opinion....

thank you"

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 2 Oct 2021, 04:41 pm »
Sounds like the person who wrote this is a big worrywart, fretting about technology that hasn't happened yet (HDMI 2.1) and other stupid stuff (analog pass through so he can use his old, old receiver's DAC). Trying to keep ahead of technology is a fools errand.

I don't need HDMI 2.1, whenever I do my current Anthem will be long dead. I even don't need HDMI 2.0b, which supports Hybrid Log Gamma. HLG is designed for broadcast cable, satellite and live TV.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdmi-2-1-explained-how-it-unlocks-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-8k-tvs-and-more/

Anthem receivers are excellent home theater processors, used as a preamp for a high end stereo it is only average. Plugging a DAC into any receiver will degrade the sound compared to a stereo preamp whether it has analog pass through or not, additionally the Anthem menu includes the option to turn the processing off for every input.

The Anthem 1120 will work fine as long as you don't need HDMI 2.0b.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 2 Oct 2021, 11:48 pm »
So are the Anthem 740 and 1140 even readily available now? I thought the AKM plant melt down scuttled future production for a long time and they were only operating on what inventory they had on hand.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2021, 03:45 pm »
Found this about the Denon:

"I’m struggling here hoping for some input or advice.

I was going to get the 1140 - but holy early release problems? Plus I understand now that 4th quarter this year they will have the hdmi 2.1 upgrade as base model - early adopters will need to deal with the bugs and glitches an Anthem hopefully catches up. So I understand this and am still considering the 1140.
my last “really piss me off about the Anthem is the no analog pass through. None! Even a $200 AVR has this but not the anthem. So I cannot run thru a good DAC (it’s the old AVM 4458 in the MRX) to the 1140. the result is if I wanted to run the fronts as a 2 channel it is not able to pass a signal thru without internal re-processing. That’s the near deal breaker or actual deal breaker.

the other option for me is the Denon x6700h. I historically never considered the Denons as equal to the Anthems or better “stuff”. But the above plus the ASR review on the 60 has me nervous and definitely not trusting.
‘on to the Denon. Same place - ASR review caught Denon pulling a fast one on everybody. The unit appears to test better on ASR after their (cherry picked?) updated capacitors. Now Denon doesn’t voluntarily correct these - only if demanded. My suspicion is they save $$$ and operate corporate - no one will know if we switch and provide the better caps or not. So I have no confidence I’d get what I’m trying to buy from them. Then add the bugs from launch and the hdmi 2.1 challenges.....

‘’in summary - can I believe that Denon has made these Cap updates on the units? I hope so.....

‘what to do......I just retired/removed/sold my Anthem D2V.
if anyone has thoughts or suggestions - please feel free to comment correct or just tell me your opinion....

thank you"

All Denon x6700h AVR's made after May of 2021 have the "upgraded" capacitors.  The early models had substitute capacitors, but not on the newer models.  They also apparently fixed the HDMI 2.1 issue with the new units.  In my new house, I have a 16x22x8 room in the basement that I am building into a dedicated HT.  I decided way back that this room was going to be 100% movies.  I also decided that I was not going to go down the "rabbit hole" of trying to make this room 2 channel quality.  I recently bought a Denon x6700h(new) and plan to run 3 Chane 752's(mtm monitors) or 3 Chane 753's(towers) behind a 144" 2.40:1 CIH AT screen from Dreamscreen(V7 model).  I plan on starting with a 7.2.4 configuration moving to a 9.2.4(2 height speakers) in the future.

Regards,

Randy