Frank's SoundScape 8's in natural ropey curly cherry

jsalk

Frank heard a pair of SoundScape 8's when his friend brought him along to the shop to evaluate SongTowers.  His friend purchased a pair of SongTowers, but Frank returned to Texas and just couldn't get the SoundScapes out of his mind.

So he ordered a pair in standard curly cherry.

We had been working with a batch of "ropey" curly cherry for a couple of months now.  It is about the nicest cherry we have seen in about 5 years.  We recently ordered the last of that batch and when its gone, we likely won't see any this nice again for a while.

Here are some pictures of Frank's SoundScape 8's...

And a close-up...

Happy listening, Frank!

- Jim

Austin08

Re: Frank's SoundScape 8's in natural ropey curly cherry
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:49 pm »
Beautiful, another piece of art from Salk sound. Never know cherry turn out this good. Congratulation Frank.

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:57 pm »
The cherry and black really goes well together!

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:58 pm »
My HT2-TLs are curly cherry too but my my those are too much. Look at the front of those down by the bottom. That is some nice cherry  :thumb:

:smoke:

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2012, 02:09 am »
Just a quick note about how we approach purchasing veneer.

As I mentioned above, this is one of the nicest batches of "ropey" curly cherry we have seen in years.  While it is somewhat subtle, I really like the bookmatched grain patterns in the sides of speakers made with this batch.  They are not necessarily as dramatic looking as with woods like rosewood, but they are none-the-less quite interesting to look at.

We just purchased the last veneer from this log.  So once it is gone, there will be no more for a while at least.

When we purchase our "standard" veneers, we generally order a 2 - 4 month supply (so we don't have to re-order all the time).  When we do, our request is simple: "Send the best you have."  We never discuss price.  The reason is that if I knew what it cost beforehand, my next question would be "what do you have that costs a little less but still looks good."  If I don't know the price, I can't ask that question.  When the bill comes, I grit my teeth, get past the shock, cut a check and then forget about it.

While I'm sure we've spent a lot more than necessary over the years, I feel very comfortable with that approach because I know that our customers never get less than the best available.

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2012, 02:13 am »
Nice said, Jim. Salk all the way

sarge_in

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2012, 05:11 am »
Wow! There is absolutely nothing 'standard' about this!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2012, 05:54 am »
I used to think the SoundScape 8's looked best in a darker wood or dye, but that natural cherry is stunning! Wow!

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2012, 02:21 pm »
Those look wonderful, Frank; definitely the nicest cherry veneer I've ever seen. Congrats to you and welcome to the Salk family.