Small dent in driver

balanceofpower

Small dent in driver
« on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:24 pm »
I may just be paranoid here, but I'm wondering if a small dent will have or lead to an adverse affect on the sound.

I've recently moved into a new condo and my girlfriend helped with the moving process. Unfortunately, she made a big mistake and carried my bookshelf Tekton speakers (a single Fostex FE126E driver in each speaker) by using the drivers as 'hooks' for her fingers! One of the drivers looks fine, but the other has what appears to be a dent from her finger nail or pressure from her finger as she was carrying. This really made me mad and after I asked her why she carried them holding the drivers, she just shrugged and didn't see what the big fuss was all about...  :x

I have just moved in and so I likely won't be hooking up the sound system for another month or more. This is on my mind and I'm hoping it's just a cosmetic issue, or is it something I should be concerned about?

Pics:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Small dent in driver
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:44 pm »
The banana paper cone is broken and the use/cone movement tends to increase the fracture.
If you are lucky the voice coil are incenter yet.

balanceofpower

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:47 pm »
So that little dent looks bad? Dang... :(

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:55 pm »
To my personal taste it bad, but Iam picky.
A new girlfriend and everything is OK.
Cheers

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2015, 06:22 pm »
I'm quite meticulous about my gear too, so I understand where you're coming from. Crap happens in a move. I've moved more times than I can count. With precious belongings, be sure no one handles them but yourself in the future. That way they have the best possiblity of not getting damaged. If they get damaged, there likely won't be anyone to get angry at, but yourself. :wink:
I doubt the dent will have any discernable effect on the sound. However, I would be more concerned about possible damage to the surround and possible misalignment of the driver. It likely took a good bit of pressure to create that dent. Just get a replacement driver or two. They're $60 each. Keep the dented one around as a spare. I'm sure you had better plans for $60, but in the grand scheme it's a small price to pay to not feel ADD for it. Trust me. I know.

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2015, 06:39 pm »
My wife won't even vacuum or clean anything in my "panic room" and I am more than happy. She knows how much I love my gear and she is also not the most coordinated of people. I have seen the marks from the vacuum cleaner she has left on the really nice bed we got several years ago and would be so mad if even a small fraction of those marks were on my speaker stands or sub. But mistakes are to be learned from. :duh:

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2015, 02:05 pm »
I doubt you will hear any difference. No sense worrying about it until you get them set up again, IMO, then you will find out (if you can hear any difference).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2015, 02:35 pm »
I suspect that the worst of it will be staring at it from now on.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2015, 02:48 pm »
I can understand accidentally bumping a speaker cabinet against a door frame while moving, but I would no more pick up a speaker by it's driver than I would pick up a baby or a cat by it's neck!  ;)

I'm sure you would have rather heard "my bad" instead of "don't understand what all the fuss is about", but I suppose a small relationship test never hurts.  The good news is that if it bothers you, it can be corrected for a mere $60 rather than $500.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:46 pm »
but I suppose a small relationship test never hurts.
Yea women knows how annoy a man.