Ancora

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Ancora
« on: 8 May 2015, 08:22 pm »
The center channel is often referred to as the anchor or most important part of a home theater speaker system. Thus, "Ancora" which is anchor in Italian.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Ancora
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2015, 08:35 pm »
Hello, Rick.

I do believe that's my brand new center channel. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it. I like the idea of 'anchor'.

In Mandarin Chinese anchor is 錨 (Máo).

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 03:30 pm »
Here are a few pics of my sonically close Adelphos 2-way monitors:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2015, 04:19 pm »
Hello, Rick.

I do believe that's my brand new center channel. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it. I like the idea of 'anchor'.

In Mandarin Chinese anchor is 錨 (Máo).

Yes, shipping out later today... :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2015, 09:50 pm »
Rick,

I just received my new Ancora today. Wow! It's big and beautiful - and it's built like a tank. For some reason I hadn't been expecting such a solid sounding cabinet. Little did I know how solid it would be!

It arrived safely and securely in its double box package.

Thank you! Thank you!

Of course, I took it out and gently placed it on the cabinet under my TV. I plugged it in greatly anticipating the wonderful sounds about to emanate from the mix of drivers, and......nothing......I almost cried. There is something amiss with the center channel portion of my 3-channel amp. I replaced the back panel fuse, but that didn't fix it, so I called Frank, who informed me of the presence of two inside fuses. I will check them tomorrow as I have time. Sigh.

To clarify: There is nothing wrong with the speaker.

loving_it

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2015, 10:10 pm »
Congrats they look nice , I currently have a pair of tempesta's and love them .

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2015, 12:36 am »
Rick,

I just received my new Ancora today. Wow! It's big and beautiful - and it's built like a tank. For some reason I hadn't been expecting such a solid sounding cabinet. Little did I know how solid it would be!

It arrived safely and securely in its double box package.

Thank you! Thank you!

Of course, I took it out and gently placed it on the cabinet under my TV. I plugged it in greatly anticipating the wonderful sounds about to emanate from the mix of drivers, and......nothing......I almost cried. There is something amiss with the center channel portion of my 3-channel amp. I replaced the back panel fuse, but that didn't fix it, so I called Frank, who informed me of the presence of two inside fuses. I will check them tomorrow as I have time. Sigh.

To clarify: There is nothing wrong with the speaker.

I'm not sure what amp you have but blown internal fuses are often a symptom of other problems and replacing them can sometimes damage the speaker. Thanks for your comments on the build quality!

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2015, 04:17 am »
Let me add that I'd had trouble with the amp last week when I plugged in an extra speaker as a temporary CC. It didn't work either last week. I had thought there was something wrong with that particular speaker (it's been in storage for a couple years), so I wasn't sure if it would happen again.

Edit: It's not the amp. My pre/pro's center channel signal is not being transmitted.

I explain things a bit in my following post.

« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 07:11 am by mresseguie »

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2015, 07:08 am »
I have isolated the misbehaving component - my pre/pro is not sending out center channel information to my amplifier. I had originally suspected my amp, but all three channels have power. I discovered this by cycling through each channel with a single RCA IC connected to the left channel of my pre/pro.

Before I panic (or jump to other conclusions), I will reconfigure my pre/pro to see if this 'resets' it.

I did listen to my Ancora as a left speaker for a while, and it sounds great. Voices are very clear. My old center was a Paradigm CC-570 v.3 (3-way like the Ancora). It used to drive me mad because there was nearly always resonance that I just couldn't get rid of. With the Ancora just now, there wasn't even a hint of resonance. Good job, Rick!  :thumb:

Michael

Edit:

Sheesh! Technology.....I always seem to forget that technology, while wonderful for what it gives us, is still 'literal' and 'dumb'. It must be instructed to send a signal to a channel. This is not plug and play. There was no signal being sent to my amplifier because I had not instructed the pre/pro to do so.  :duh:

Everything (accept my ego) is just fine now. I'm running movies now to encourage break in of my new wonderful center channel.

Carry on.....
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 07:35 pm by mresseguie »

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2015, 07:00 am »
Darn it, Rick!

Your Ancora (okay...MY Ancora) sounds noticeably better than my Adelphos 2-way speakers. This wasn't supposed to happen. Fear not - I know how to remedy this problem. It'll take a little time cuz I must first take care of a few other things, but I will follow up on this.  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:10 pm »
Darn it, Rick!

Your Ancora (okay...MY Ancora) sounds noticeably better than my Adelphos 2-way speakers. This wasn't supposed to happen. Fear not - I know how to remedy this problem. It'll take a little time cuz I must first take care of a few other things, but I will follow up on this.  8)

Thanks for your kind words. A 3-way with a dedicated mid is always going to have the edge (all other things being equal). I think a 3-way floorstander with the Satori 5" as a mid, Anniversario ribbon, and Ottavo woofers would blow away people for the $.