Klipsch Gate Streaming Device

witchdoctor

Klipsch Gate Streaming Device
« on: 9 Feb 2019, 05:26 am »
Klipsch makes the Gate Streamer as part of their wireless, whole house audio ensemble utilizing the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-audio-goes-all-way-dts-play-fi

I purchased the Gate streamer on Amazon for $25 (MSRP $179) because I wanted to have the ability to play the same music in my media room throughout the house. It has a line in port and a line out port and you operate it with a Klipsch streaming app you can download to an apple,android device or a kindle tablet. The concept behind this product is to add streaming capability to legacy products. I connected the analog in to my Marantz 7702 processor in the media room and then connected the other one to the line in port on my Paradigm Active Shift A2 speaker in the kitchen. I setup the app, updated the software, connected my streaming services and my NAS drive music server and it worked as expected.

After the Gate broke in a couple days I did some critical listening in my media room in 2 channel "pure direct" mode. I was surprised at what I was hearing. This sounded like an analog source more than a digital source. Then I remembered, this is from Klipsch and maybe they voiced it to sound like vinyl. The music is sooo relaxed when you play it through the Gate it just flows.
Out of curiosity I took the Gate from the kitchen into my office system two have a A/B comparison with the Blusound Node. I only listened to HIFI tracks, not MQA to make it a fair comparison. The Node is a great product and I have enjoyed it for over a year.
I preferred the Gate, so much so that the only reason I am keeping the Node is for MQA. The Gate seemed to capture music that the node left out. The bass seemed fuller and smoother through the Gate, in the Node it was a little more "boomy". You could hear the inhalations and and breathing between phrases in soft jazz singers through the Gate, it seemed this subtle information was left out through the Node. After listening to the Gate I feel like I really want to compare a lot more music but I think this is a sleeper product that was tripped up by the software. Klipsch released this product in 2016 and that version of the software was not ready for primetime. The 2019 version has gone through multiple updates since then and I liked it as much as Bluos for navigating music playlists and better than Bluos for controlling my whole house system. The Gate has a "critical listening" mode you need to engage for listening to hirez and I found I preferred that mode for Tidal HIFI tracjs as well. When you use that mode you are limited to streaming to one device.

My next step will be to upgrade the wall wart 5V power supply with iFi's iPower and get a Mogami 3.5 mm to RCA cable as all my interconnects are Mogami.

There are other DTS Play-Fi streamers available from Polk, Definitive Technology, Arcam and Mcintosh. These other streamers have digital ports so you can connect them to a DAC. I like this Klipsch sound so much I have 0 desire to change it out but would be curious to compare. Overall I would recommend this product as a streamer, even if you don't want to get into whole house audio. BTW, when Quboz becomes available in the US this device is hirez capable. The Quboz app shows up in the streaming software but it isn't available in the US yet. Here is a link to the Gate review that Quboz did:

https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/klipsch-gate-a-streamer-with-great179353

witchdoctor

Re: Klipsch Gate Streaming Device
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:10 pm »
Update on the Gate- I hooked up the analog outs on my Sony Blueray player to the line in on the Gate and was able to stream CD's thoughout the house! I tried both redbook and 24/96 and it worked great. No need to run speaker wires and multi channel amps. I have just added DTS Play Fi components throught the various rooms in my home and it just works. I have also streamed Quboz in Hirez and it works great too. The added benefit is with Play-Fi components you can have hirez streaming in any room you want.

To listen in Hirez you have to engage "critical listening" mode and can only stream in hirez to one zone at a time. So far I have a Gate installed in my main home theater, to an active (powered) speaker in the kitchen, and just ordered another one for the HT in the man cave.

The Play Fi software is working great. I can start playing tunes in one room and then add rooms by just tapping on them in the app. When I bought the most recent Gate it was around $30 and I added a 4 year warranty for an extra $2 on Amazon.

This thread is about cheap and cheerful HiFi and with many Play-Fi components selling at 50%+ discounts they are cheap. It doesn't get more cheerful than having music playing throughout the house and having it under total control from a kindle tablet. Cheers!

chrshanl

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the post. I have been eyeing the Power Gate to use as a streaming preamp with active speakers.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:51 pm »
Thanks for the post. I have been eyeing the Power Gate to use as a streaming preamp with active speakers.

Hi, with active speakers I think you want the Gate. The "Powergate" is an integrated amp intended for passive speakers. I am using the Gate with my Pardaigm Shift A2 active speaker. If your speakers have RCA connections make sure to order a 3.5mm to RCA cable too. Here is a link to the Gate. Let me know if you have questions:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-1063275-Gateway-Wireless-Multi-Room/dp/B01M5B793S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550346504&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch+gate

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:57 pm »
I’m envious of your knowledge of streaming devices witchdoctor.  Based on your posts about this product I’ve spent hours reading about it and pondering its uses.  Unfortunately I’m just plain stupid about many things, streaming being the one du jour. At $30.00 +/- I buy one and see if I can make it work. 

Ideally I’d like to be able to access my digital music files on a computer that’s in my office, about 75’ from my stereo, but since I don’t know how to do that cheaply or easily I may buy this and subscribe to a streaming service.  Previously I’ve connected my iPad to my integrated amp and played pandora. I’ve never been impressed with that set up but Ive got to imagine this will be much better.

Anyway, thank you for fueling the quest for streaming knowledge.

Brett

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:02 pm »
I’m envious of your knowledge of streaming devices witchdoctor.  Based on your posts about this product I’ve spent hours reading about it and pondering its uses.  Unfortunately I’m just plain stupid about many things, streaming being the one du jour. At $30.00 +/- I buy one and see if I can make it work. 

Ideally I’d like to be able to access my digital music files on a computer that’s in my office, about 75’ from my stereo, but since I don’t know how to do that cheaply or easily I may buy this and subscribe to a streaming service.  Previously I’ve connected my iPad to my integrated amp and played pandora. I’ve never been impressed with that set up but Ive got to imagine this will be much better.

Anyway, thank you for fueling the quest for streaming knowledge.

Brett

Hi Brett, good news, you can access the digital files on your computer 75' away NP. When you open the Playfi software it has a "media server" selection and is able to identify music files in your network.
Watch this video about the Play-Fi app and post any questions and I will try to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:05 pm »
There sure are quite a few negatives on the Gate on Amazon. The price went from $179 to $30?

Brettio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:13 pm »
Thank you witchdoctor, I’m going to buy one right now.  Great video, it helped a bunch.

Thanks again, Brett

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:17 pm »
Thank you witchdoctor, I’m going to buy one right now.  Great video, it helped a bunch.

Thanks again, Brett

Get the 4 year warranty for $2 just in case if you order on amazon. Also you might need a 3.5 mm to RCA cable if you want to plug it into your receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1550348206&sr=1-4&keywords=3.5+mm+to+rca+cable

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:20 pm »
There sure are quite a few negatives on the Gate on Amazon. The price went from $179 to $30?

I think the product was hobbled by the software when they launched. They have updated it many times since then. You also need a stable wifi connection. I have had 0 issues and just posted a video about the Play-Fi app you may want to check out. If you order one and are worried they have a 30 return policy and I got the 4 year warranty for $2, good luck.

BTW, Quboz reviewed it and gave it the thumbs up :thumb:

Brettio

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:34 pm »
Here come the first of hopefully not too many questions....

My equipment is pretty old school, with my integrated amp (Odyssey Cyclops) only having RCA’s and my CD player (Oppo BDP-83) having the connectors listed below.  Given these options which would you use (if any are acceptable)?  Thank you in advance, Brett

Rear Panel Connectors
1. 7.1CH/5.1CH Audio Output
2. Stereo Audio Output
3. Coaxial and Optical Digital Audio Output
4. Composite Video Output
5. Component Video Output
6. Ethernet LAN Port
7. USB 2.0 Port
8. HDMI Output
9. IR IN and OUT Ports

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:45 pm »
Here come the first of hopefully not too many questions....

My equipment is pretty old school, with my integrated amp (Odyssey Cyclops) only having RCA’s and my CD player (Oppo BDP-83) having the connectors listed below.  Given these options which would you use (if any are acceptable)?  Thank you in advance, Brett

Rear Panel Connectors
1. 7.1CH/5.1CH Audio Output
2. Stereo Audio Output
3. Coaxial and Optical Digital Audio Output
4. Composite Video Output
5. Component Video Output
6. Ethernet LAN Port
7. USB 2.0 Port
8. HDMI Output
9. IR IN and OUT Ports

Old fashioned RCA's are fine. Get 2 of the 3.5 mm to RCA cables.

1) Plug the RCA end into the stereo outputs of your Oppo CDP and the 3.5 mm end into the Gate "input" port.
2) Plug the 3.5 mm of the other cable into the Gate "out" port and plug the RCA ends into your integrated amp.
3) You are all connected, just open the app and use it as described in the video.

Here is the cable, you will need 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-iXCC-Shielded-Gold-Plated-Stereo/dp/B019D048XC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1550349861&sr=8-5&keywords=3.5+mm+to+rca+cable

Brettio

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2019, 09:00 pm »
Awesome, thank you again.  My Gate will be here next week.  I’ll get another set of 3.5mm to rca’s and be ready for it’s arrival. 

Really appreciate all the help.  Brett

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2019, 09:10 pm »
Hi witchdoctor. can you provide a link to the Mogami 3.5 to rca ?

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2019, 09:28 pm »
Hi witchdoctor. can you provide a link to the Mogami 3.5 to rca ?

Here is the Mogami cable link. You can get one or two depending if you want to connect a source like a CDP or turntable to the Gate. I just ordered one myself:

https://www.amazon.com/Mogami-GOLD-3-5-2RCA-06-Y-Adapter-Connectors/dp/B01LY815WB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550352562&sr=8-3&keywords=mogami+3.5+mm+to+rca+cable

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2019, 04:52 pm »
Gate Software Update- DTS Play-Fi just released a firmware update for many products in their ecosystem that syncs video with audio. I updated the firmware with the Klipsch Utility app and have been streaming concert videos seemlessly. i can watch them in the home theater or stream the audio through the house. Prior to the firmware update there was a syncing issue. I prefer the sound of music streamed through the Gate instead on my Marantz processors or Sony Blue Ray, YMMV.

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2019, 04:54 pm »
Awesome, thank you again.  My Gate will be here next week.  I’ll get another set of 3.5mm to rca’s and be ready for it’s arrival. 

Really appreciate all the help.  Brett

Did you get your CDP connected yet?

Brettio

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2019, 06:58 pm »
LOL.....not my best negotiating ever, but I like the Gate so much and was able to figure out how to access my music on my desktop through it, that I told my wife I’d get rid of the CDP and CD’s (which take up a bunch of room on my stereo rack and look pretty unsightly) if I could get another Gate and some inexpensive powered speakers for my detached garage/workshop.  Currently I’m streaming Amazon Music but I’m going to look at other streaming services.

I’m all in for streaming, which is amazing since two weeks ago I had no idea how to make it work.  Again a total thank you for your help.  It’s changed the audio life for my entire family.  In fact the last two nights my family spent the evening in the living room enjoying music through the gate.  My wife really likes my stereo now and she previously only tolerated it.

Brett

Ben1248

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2019, 07:13 pm »
Hi witchdoctor, thank you for the suggestion. I got my gate today for my office . It replaces my iPhone 5se connected to ifs nano DAC (BL) and then into the integrated amp. In addition I switched from Tidal to Quboz and all works flawlessly. ....for $30.  :D.

Brettio

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2019, 07:15 pm »
As I typed that out, I don’t think I even need another Gate....I think I can just connect my current one to the powered speakers I get for the garage/workshop....