Klipsch Gate Streaming Device

witchdoctor

Re: Klipsch Gate Streaming Device
« Reply #40 on: 2 Mar 2019, 04:44 am »
I stumbled across the fact that the Gate can support a usb to ethernet adapter.  I had an old Dlink adapter plugged it in and applied power to the Gate.  Lights started flashing and behold a hardwired connection (confirmed via router).  A little investigating also turned up the fact that Phorus is selling a DTS Play-Fi adapter themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/DTS-Play-Fi-USB-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B07CNBWKM9/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_5?keywords=phorus+usb+ethernet&qid=1551474349&s=gateway&sr=8-5-fkmrnull

I already have ethernet outlets in most places so this is great for me, plus it lets me re-use otherwise obsolete hardware.
I see this is your 4th post, welcome to AC gwing and thanks for letting us know. Did ethernet connection change the sound at all?

gwing

« Reply #41 on: 2 Mar 2019, 11:04 pm »
Other than allowing uninterrupted playback of 192/24 Flac files it didn't affect the sound quality.

PS. I registered in 2012 so I do a lot of lurking and very little posting. :)

david45

« Reply #42 on: 2 Mar 2019, 11:28 pm »
Witchdoctor,

Do you think the Gate/Powergate could be a good solution for me?

Let me explain: in my HT I would connect it to my oppo 105 rear surround audio outputs in order to wirelessly transmit the signal to a Powergate connected to a pair of rear speakers. I realize this is not what Klipsch had in mind in terms of primary usage, but considering I don't want to deal with a bulky receiver this could hopefully prove to be satisfactory.

Cheers,

David

munosmario

« Reply #43 on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:20 am »
Other than allowing uninterrupted playback of 192/24 Flac files it didn't affect the sound quality.

PS. I registered in 2012 so I do a lot of lurking and very little posting. :)

gwing, you are using the USB port that supposedly (according to manual) is only for service/firmware updates, right?

munosmario

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2019, 02:52 am »
Liking the gate

witchdoctor

« Reply #45 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:31 am »
Witchdoctor,

Do you think the Gate/Powergate could be a good solution for me?

Let me explain: in my HT I would connect it to my oppo 105 rear surround audio outputs in order to wirelessly transmit the signal to a Powergate connected to a pair of rear speakers. I realize this is not what Klipsch had in mind in terms of primary usage, but considering I don't want to deal with a bulky receiver this could hopefully prove to be satisfactory.

Cheers,

David

Hi David, I would not recommend the Gate/Powergate combo to wirelessly power rear surround speakers using the "line in" feature on the Gate. I think you might have a sync issue.
I would recommend an Amphony Wireless transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ49ZJQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a Nobsound Mini Dual amp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07548PWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have my voice of god channels powered using this setup. Works great, the amp is powerful and small. I attached it to the wall using velcro tape! There are wireless amps available but they are either lower power (15 WPC) or more expensive than this combo.

BTW, if you order the amp remember to order a power supply to, it doesn't come with one.

Brettio

« Reply #46 on: 3 Mar 2019, 05:49 am »
gwing, you are using the USB port that supposedly (according to manual) is only for service/firmware updates, right?

munosmario

If I’m not mistaken you can update the Gate wirelessly via the Klipsch Utility app.  It worked great for me.
Brett

munosmario

« Reply #47 on: 3 Mar 2019, 05:31 pm »
If I’m not mistaken you can update the Gate wirelessly via the Klipsch Utility app.  It worked great for me.
Brett
Thanks, Brettio. I figured as much. Service USB port surely is there in case you are concerned about the risk of firmware update failing due to an unexpected Wi-Fi issue. Wi-Fi update is not automatic, you have to initiate it by accessing the download site through the app, right?

munosmario
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2019, 04:46 am by munosmario »

witchdoctor

« Reply #48 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:13 pm »
I did an A/B comparison with the dac's of the Gate and Powergate using the Powergates RCA outs into my preamp. It was easy to stream to both units at the same time within the playfi app. I was able to toggle back and forth between both with my remote. Very little difference in the SQ of the dacs streaming Tidal from the app.

I also connected a Bluesound Node to the Powergate using the digital out from the Node to the digital in of the Powergate (the Gate lacks the digital in). The SQ was pretty much the same as streaming Tidal directly from the Powergate. I prefer the SQ of the Powergate to the Node, YMMV.

witchdoctor

« Reply #49 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:18 pm »
bump

gwing

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2019, 03:48 am »
Sorry for the late reply, yes the usb port on the Gate.  Unplug the Gate, plug in the usb to ethernet adapter & cable then power up. Works if the WiFi is setup prior to this or not. Also used this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Somewhat cheaper than the Phorus adapter.  Someone on the web noted that if it works with a wii or wii-u then it will work, just took a chance that most companies didn't stray too far from the DTS Play-Fi basic design.  I have 4 Gates (three on usb-ethernet adapters), a PowerGate & a Phorus PR5 which isn't as nice as the Klipsch boxes but was a bit cheaper, it was relegated to the garage :lol: So far everything has worked well although I have been getting the most use out of running the output of iTunes on my server out to the line in on a Gate and then sending that everywhere.  Playlist management is alot easier and it's easy to control with the iTunes remote app.

meathead18

« Reply #51 on: 1 Apr 2019, 03:21 pm »
I have to say I am loving this device. I just got mine hooked up a few days ago and did the firmware update. I signed up for a 30 trial with Qobuz and I am very impressed by the sound quality. I was previously using a Chromecast Audio with the optical out into my HK3490 receiver and with the Gate's 3.5mm into RCA's the soundstage is deeper and wider. I'm sure Qobuz's high quality stream helps too.

Getting the firmware updated was a little tricky.- I couldn't time the power cord insertion with depressing the power button on time so it was a little tricky to get it into update mode, but once in update mode I had no problems.

Also, when using Qobuz the Play-Fi software hides the critical listening mode option on my iPhone. But my work around to that has been start streaming Spotify and turn on critical listening mode - then using the Play-Fi software start the Qobuz stream. And then I get a message on my phone that the Qobuz content is authorized to stream at that resolution on this device but using my ears I'm guessing that message is incorrect because the sound is wonderful and sounds like hi-res to me. Hopefully in the next update they will get this ironed out. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

annamarykahn

« Reply #52 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:09 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, yes the usb port on the Gate.  Unplug the Gate, plug in the usb to ethernet adapter & cable then power up. Works if the WiFi is setup prior to this or not. Also used this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Somewhat cheaper than the Phorus adapter.  Someone on the web noted that if it works with a wii or wii-u then it will work, just took a chance that most companies didn't stray too far from the DTS Play-Fi basic design.  I have 4 Gates (three on usb-ethernet adapters), a PowerGate & a Phorus PR5 which isn't as nice as the Klipsch boxes but was a bit cheaper, it was relegated to the garage :lol: So far everything has worked well although I have been getting the most use out of running the output of iTunes on my server out to the line in on a Gate and then sending that everywhere.  Playlist management is alot easier and it's easy to control with the iTunes remote app.

purchased this thanks for the info!

not that it is on ethernet, it doesn't show up in the app. how do you sent music to it?

thanks in advance

witchdoctor

« Reply #53 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:14 pm »
purchased this thanks for the info!

not that it is on ethernet, it doesn't show up in the app. how do you sent music to it?

thanks in advance

First watch this and update the firm ware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eok_GjgfZw

Then watch this to learn how to use the app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

OK?

witchdoctor

« Reply #54 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:15 pm »
I have to say I am loving this device. I just got mine hooked up a few days ago and did the firmware update. I signed up for a 30 trial with Qobuz and I am very impressed by the sound quality. I was previously using a Chromecast Audio with the optical out into my HK3490 receiver and with the Gate's 3.5mm into RCA's the soundstage is deeper and wider. I'm sure Qobuz's high quality stream helps too.

Getting the firmware updated was a little tricky.- I couldn't time the power cord insertion with depressing the power button on time so it was a little tricky to get it into update mode, but once in update mode I had no problems.

Also, when using Qobuz the Play-Fi software hides the critical listening mode option on my iPhone. But my work around to that has been start streaming Spotify and turn on critical listening mode - then using the Play-Fi software start the Qobuz stream. And then I get a message on my phone that the Qobuz content is authorized to stream at that resolution on this device but using my ears I'm guessing that message is incorrect because the sound is wonderful and sounds like hi-res to me. Hopefully in the next update they will get this ironed out. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

That workaround is fine :thumb:

witchdoctor

« Reply #55 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:19 pm »

I love having the music follow me throughout the house. Klispch just did a firmware update for the linein feature did you notice? You need to select if you are streaming video or music. The video will now sync perfectly with what you are watching.

annamarykahn

« Reply #56 on: 5 Apr 2019, 05:58 pm »
First watch this and update the firm ware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eok_GjgfZw

Then watch this to learn how to use the app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

OK?

but when i connect the usb/ethernet adapter it doesn't show in the app anymore

wondering how i to play over the ethernet?

witchdoctor

« Reply #57 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:49 pm »
but when i connect the usb/ethernet adapter it doesn't show in the app anymore

wondering how i to play over the ethernet?

My Powergate dropped once and I rebooted the router, then the powergate, then it turned up in the app. If that doesn't work try klipsch support, they are pretty good

meathead18

« Reply #58 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:55 pm »
Good heads up Witchdr on the firmware update!

annamarykahn

« Reply #59 on: 5 Apr 2019, 08:00 pm »
My Powergate dropped once and I rebooted the router, then the powergate, then it turned up in the app. If that doesn't work try klipsch support, they are pretty good

i see the gates, i have several, on wifi, but when i use the usb/ethernet adapter it drops off of wifi & the app doesn't see it anymore

would like to stream to the gate via ethernet, not wifi