You want more BASS? Make a simple BASS RAMP

John Casler

You want more BASS? Make a simple BASS RAMP
« on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:35 am »
For many years one of the most popular speakers I offered my clients was the VMPS 626r.

The EVOKE EDDIE is incredibly similar in its Design DNA, and thus when I set up my EDDIES, I eventually thought I might experiment with what Brian Cheney called a "BEARD".

The general idea psychoacoustically, is that bass energy radiates hemisherically, NOT just forward to the listener. 

That means BASS ENERGY is NOT just directed toward you, but in all directions.

This energy travels until it hits, or is directed by a boundary (like a wall, or the floor) and then travels along that boundary.

Brian's idea was that if you took a speaker stand, or pedestal and placed a solid material (like wood, or even stiff heavy cardboard) the BASS Energy, that would normally go UNDER the speaker and dissipate, would travel down that BEARD to the floor, and MORE of that energy will then be "directed" to you, rather than other parts of the room.

IT WORKS!

I gathered up a couple wooden shelves I had in my closet, and placed them under the front of EDDIE.  Now since they were a little longer than the stands, they actually looked less like a BEARD, and more like a RAMP.

The results were immediate and bass was clearer, deeper, and louder at the listening position.

Now, be aware, the benefits of this TWEAK are dependent on a couple factors:

1) The more near field, the greater the bass boost.  As you move further from the speakers the effect is reduced.
2) If you are using speakers other than Eddies (ribbon/Planar) you may have to experiment with the ramp angle because with conventional drivers vertical dispersion my reflect some of the highs and mids to a not so good effect.  So you may have to experiment with the angle, or even "covering" the ramp.  Steeper angles will reduce this concern (or you can just order some EDDIES if you don't already have them)
3) You can also experiment with materials (such as wood, fiberboard, or heavy cardboard) to find if you prefer one over the other.

If any of you try this. I'd like to hear about it.