EL34

eichlerera1

Re: EL34
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:37 pm »
Sonic-wise, I prefer the JJ E34L in my VTL 225 amp.
The tubes tend to self destruct occasionally, so I keep a watchful eye on them during warmup and listening usage.
Great bass, mids and treble!
Also pretty damn cheap for the great sound!

Paul Galli

aniwolfe

« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2019, 07:06 pm »
The differences between various compatible output tubes is rather marginal compared to the difference rolling input tubes makes. In my experience, even rolling rectifiers makes a bigger difference than output tubes.

YMMV  :D

The tubes I listed are very different in my system, so I would have to disagree that it's "marginal". I will agree the input tubes make a noticeable difference for sure.

Delta77

« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:11 am »
Still learning about the differences different tubes make..
Closed my eyes, and spent way too much $ on my new tube compliment in my Zen Mystery Amp..

4) Amperex 6DJ8 “bugleboy” -  4) Sophia Electric  EL34

So far so good, not disappointed at all...
But it’s only been a week or so, maybe 8 to 10 hours of serious time in the sweet spot.. 

Wish I was a little more savvy, in spending less to get the same results..

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:13 am »
Still learning about the differences different tubes make..
Closed my eyes, and spent way too much $ on my new tube compliment in my Zen Mystery Amp..

4) Amperex 6DJ8 “bugleboy” -  4) Sophia Electric  EL34

So far so good, not disappointed at all...
But it’s only been a week or so, maybe 8 to 10 hours of serious time in the sweet spot.. 

Wish I was a little more savvy, in spending less to get the same results..

That's a great combo.  I don't think you could match it for less $$. 

eichlerera1

« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:24 am »
The tubes I listed are very different in my system, so I would have to disagree that it's "marginal". I will agree the input tubes make a noticeable difference for sure.

Agreed.
Any tube within a system can change the overall balance and Frequency Response of an Amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:07 am »

Two things:

I didn’t write “marginal” period. I wrote, marginal compared to...

I also wrote, YMMV

rotarius

« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:05 am »
I have tried all modern EL34 tubes except for the premium Chinese ones. Who is making this tube for Sophia?

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2019, 04:16 am »
I very much like the Gold Lion KT77s in my system, on all three of my EL34-compatible amps.  Excellent detail and imaging without being overly bright or harsh.  Maybe not as warm as many other EL34s.  I do prioritize imaging & detail over warmth, to a point.  Haven't tried the Sophia or any Psvane options.   Sometimes I do go to my Sylvania "Fat Boy" 6CA7s when I'm going to play a lot of blues as they render a nice "nightclub" kinda sound. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2019, 01:24 pm »
I have tried all modern EL34 tubes except for the premium Chinese ones. Who is making this tube for Sophia?
Usually Shuguang made tubes OEM they have big plants, Psvane bough the NGG factory some years ago.

tetablanco

« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2020, 05:39 pm »
After coming from 2A3 SET and DIY 5894 SET amplifiers, I recently got myself a 6CA7 / EL34 PP integrated amp.  Having spent so much on tube rolling for my other amps, I got myself a good deal on a quad of NOS Siemens / RFT EL34.  Between my Chinese PSVane 6CA7 (which are surprisingly good) and NOS European tubes, I'm hoping to stick with these driver tubes in the foreseeable future. Been investing in 12AU7 and 12AX7 preamp tubes though to complement my 12AT7 family of tubes. 

ric

« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2020, 01:43 pm »
Another thumbs up for the Sophia Electric EL34's, with exceptions. I believe these are Chinese made and as such I have had tube failures using them. But, I purchased them on Sophia's Ebay store and was offered a 2 year warranty for $60 so I did, and am glad I did, since most tubes are only warranted for a month. Reliability issues aside the Sophia's are better than any EL34 new stock, I have heard, (JJ, Winged C, Tung Sol, etc.) and excels in clarity, bass, dynamics, detail etc. They are much more expensive, but, hopefully worth it, even with reliability problems.

Tyson

« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:51 pm »
Pretty sure the Sophia's are Russian.  I've tried a bunch of Russian tubes and a bunch of Chinese tubes.  Surprisingly I've had more problems with the Russian tubes from a reliability/failure standpoint.  The Chinese tubes sound better too.  Specifically the Shuguang Black Treasure and the Psvane Ti and WE tubes. 

datman

« Reply #32 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:19 pm »
The Sophia's are Chinese, produced I think by TJ Fullmusic.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #33 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:35 pm »
This makes sense as Sophia owners are a Chinese family.
I doubt they could order OEM tubes in Russia.

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:35 pm »

Yes you are right - sorry about my faulty memory.