Looking for help with Musical Paradise MP-D2 tube DAC

nikonf

Hello,

I would like information on tube rolling for my Musical Paradise MP-D2 tube DAC.

I am not allowed to search until I introduce myself?

I am currently using Gold Aero 6922 tubes in the Musical Paradise MP-D2 tube DAC. The detail is amazing, but I miss the midrange I had in my NOS Amperex.

Can anyone recommend a NOS that will give a little warmness and tame the treble a bit?

I have heard Mullard NOS have this warm quality.

The original Russian tubes that come with the DP2 are lacking detail, but they are not bright at all.

Thanks to all who can help me find the right match!

Mike

Wind Chaser

Re: Looking for help with Musical Paradise MP-D2 tube DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2020, 09:44 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

When it come to tubes much of it has to do with flavor/taste. But before you splurge on more tubes, I strongly recommend you check out Herbie's Halos / tube dampers. These things tame micro-phonics and can transform so-so tube into a stellar tube.  :thumb:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2020, 10:31 pm »
here are a couple of tubes to try.
matsushita/national 7dj8 from upscale audio
sovtek (not eh) 6h30pi

nikonf

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2020, 01:22 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will try both. Is the 7dJ8 as long lasting as the 6922?

Is the sovtek (not eh) 6h30pi a current tube or NOS?

I have used Mullard preamp tubes. The Milspec NOS tubes are nice and quiet.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:36 am »
6922 is supposedly the militarized  version of 6dj8. 7dj8 is compatible but different if you believe Kevin Deal. They look interesting!

I second matsushita recco. My fav were Matsushita 6922 from 1970s. They used to be cheap! They are neutral as 6922s go.

Only buy your expensive and rare NOS tubes like Mullard Genelec, etc from a reputable dealer. Many of todays NOS vintage tubes are actually defects that did not pass QA and now being sold as 1st quality and the seller probably doesn't even know.

Sovtek 6H30 are still in production.

nikonf

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2020, 01:21 am »
I am looking into Sovtek 6H30 and Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi GOLD PINS. Have you ever tried this?

I don't have the $200 Mundorf Oil Caps. Do they make things smoother or just have more detail.
I had these put in my tube phono preamp and they took about 200 hours to break in!

I just want to get as close to analog as possible. Nothing is worth than edgy digital source. It is nice that they are finally remastering original analog recordings properly.
90% of the original CDs were just terrible.

I listened to a Ligtnin Hopkins recording one of my friends had made from an LP a couple of months ago and it sounded superb.

It is possible to make digital files that sound 95% as good as LP. Only thing better is an original master tape.

Any other suggestions are still very much appreciated!

Best,
Mike

deuter

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2020, 10:18 am »
I upgraded my output tubes recently to Gold Lion 6922's, and they sound modern without being digital sounding.
So they have the treble sparkle , also very dynamic and detailed with giving you the sense of being able to see the instrument while listening to the music.

I use the DAC in a headphone setup and my headphone amp is using the Amperex PQ A-Frame 6DJ8, I would recommend these tubes in your DAC you should be able to find them online.
I recently bought a par for my headphone amp. If I do find a quad for a cheap price I might stock it for the DAC.
They are so far my favourite tubes.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2020, 04:20 pm »
6h30pi  - I purchased a 10 lot from Russia - 1978.  Anything before the fall of the former USSR is worthy.  I believe the earliest are 1968.  I am happy to sell two but you can find them on ebay and despite the bad reputation of ebay, I found some really wonderful tubes.  In fact all the tubes I found were authentic and some surprised performers.  GEC 'Japan' from mid 60s, that were obviously rebranded GEC performed better than my British GEC from 1950s. 

PM me and I can give you my Russian contact tube seller later this evening.  He has more and legit.  Another great seller is from Mumbai, India.