Please advise on a pre for the RM-9

2bigears

Please advise on a pre for the RM-9
« on: 20 Aug 2014, 03:56 pm »
 :D  HELLO GOOD people in music land. For my tube system i have chosen an RM-9 with Mag 3.6's. All i need now is a preamp to fit right in and keep up. Can i get a few logical choices thrown at me as i really have no idea what will mate well. Thanks  :D

steve f

Re: Please advise on a pre for the RM-9
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:38 pm »
I removed my post because it would include product not associated with the sponser.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2014, 06:41 pm »
I hate to be "Mister Obvious", but I would suggest  some version of the  RM-5. I had an RM-5 MK.III for a few years and enjoyed it immensely. Phono on board and adjustable gain. Takes only 3 6DJ8's. 

Clio09

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2014, 07:56 pm »
Roger's pot in the box passive attenuator should work nicely. I used a passive attenuator with both my RM-9 and RM-10. Both amps are well suited to them. Just make sure your source is as well.

Chazro

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:20 pm »
I've used a MR RM5 MkIII - obviously being from the same family it sounded fabulous, not to mention a killa phono section.  I replaced it with an Audio Research LS15 & PH3 (phono pre) which also sounded great, but I'll admit to one of my primary reasons for the switch was having a remote!  Sold off the AR gear and am currently running a classic Dolan PM1 which really sounds fine (and also boasts a killa phono section!;).  There's currently a thread running over at the Asylum about 'musicality' in gear.  I have Spendor S100's, a speaker known for it's 'musicality'.  I think the RM9 also can be described as a 'musical' piece of equipment.  Or maybe I've just been fortunate that it's mated so well with my system.  Whatever it may be, I don't think you can have too much 'musicality' in a rig!

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:41 pm »
 :D  to play records would be great .. kind of a must.. yes.. a remote would be great too. and yes of curse ,, to stay rooted in the music would be nice too.  all this and staying under the clouds for budget ,, ha  .... i think the 3.6's will like the RM-9 ....   :D   This system will be for ladies and more mellow music,, Sunday morning and romancing time music .. ha   my rock and roll system is locked in....   :D

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2014, 03:09 am »
:D  to play records would be great .. kind of a must.. yes.. a remote would be great too. and yes of curse ,, to stay rooted in the music would be nice too.  all this and staying under the clouds for budget ,, ha  .... i think the 3.6's will like the RM-9 ....   :D   This system will be for ladies and more mellow music,, Sunday morning and romancing time music .. ha   my rock and roll system is locked in....   :D

Some good suggestions for sure. The most bang for the buck is a used RM-5 and it has a great phono section. After we get settled in Berkeley I hope to release a new preamp I have been working on. As always we are looking for talented people who want to get involved in the work.

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:53 pm »
I don't live in the Bay area and have no talent. Is that a deal breaker? :wink:

rbwalt

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2014, 03:59 pm »
yea i would go with one(RM5MKll- 4) if you can find one. i had one( rm5mkll) for many yrs teamed up with my RM9MKll. new had any issues with it at all.sounded good. i ended up trading mine in along with the RM9 for a RM9SE.

good luck and happy listening!

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2014, 04:11 am »
 :D new pre ?  How long till release ?  :D

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2014, 02:29 pm »
:D new pre ?  How long till release ?  :D

The school is my first priority. If you are lucky some smart student will come along and help shepard the preamp into the market place. I have many prototypes awaiting some capable hands. Interested persons should apply for this rare opportunity.