My review of the M3 Turbo S is finally live!

Wind Chaser

Re: My review of the M3 Turbo S is finally live!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2018, 04:21 am »
That's RIDICULOUS .........If this is true Coincident and other big names in Audio Industry won't survive,my friend.

It’s not ridiculous, there’s something you’re not taking into account which apparently isn’t so obvious. Check your message box.

mpv

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2018, 08:25 pm »
It’s not ridiculous, there’s something you’re not taking into account which apparently isn’t so obvious. Check your message box.
I checked but no messages.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:02 pm »
SET's don't do well with speakers that have non-flat impedance. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:17 pm »
SET's don't do well with speakers that have non-flat impedance.

Correct. They also don't do well with speakers that have low impedances in areas where music can be quite prevalent, i.e. 100 Hz to 4khz (midbass to upper midrange), since all SET's I have seen have very high output impedances (i.e. 2-5 ohms). I feel that this is as much of a factor with the incompatibilities I have seen.

Best,
Anand.

Tyson

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:23 pm »
Correct. They also don't do well with speakers that have low impedances in areas where music can be quite prevalent, i.e. 100 Hz to 4khz (midbass to upper midrange), since all SET's I have seen have very high output impedances (i.e. 2-5 ohms). I feel that this is as much of a factor with the incompatibilities I have seen.

Best,
Anand.

Yep, SETs do best with speakers with high/flat impedance.  Any other type of load and SETs are not going to do well.  Although SETs do better than OTLs!!  Haha :P

mpv

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:43 pm »
So you guys are mainly recommend only class D for M3 Turbo S ?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:12 pm »
I checked but no messages.

That's odd, I'll try again.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm »

SS is a better match than SET. Class D has come a long, long way is recent years.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:48 pm »
Before I had my Turbo S's upgraded to Triode Master, I preferred a 12 watt tube PP to a several hundred watt class D.  After upgrading, I still prefer the tubes. YMMV.

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2018, 01:22 am »

Push-pull tube amps with transfrmer output would work well as would a good solid state amp.  Class D is fine too, if you find a good sounding one.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:15 am »
Push-pull tube amps with transfrmer output would work well as would a good solid state amp.

PP tube amps, unlike SS are more about voltage than current. From what I’ve read the majority of people who have tried both tubes and SS with the Spatial’s lean towards current driven amplification. Quite a few Spatial owners transitioned from tubes to the LIO and never looked back.

Tyson

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:38 am »
Right, the Spatials can be a difficult load, as can most full range speakers due to impedance swings.  Many people just look at sensitivity and think “high sensitivity equals tube amp friendly”.  But as you see, that’s not always the case.  PP tube amps do best, SET amps do worse and OTLs do the worst with difficult speaker loads.  SS amps will almost always be a better match for speakers that are not an easy load.  There’s a ton of good SS amps out there and a few good digital amps, all would be good choices here. 

Oh and I agree re: the LIO - that is an amazing piece of gear.  Vinnie knocked it out of the park with that one.

mpv

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:53 am »
Right, the Spatials can be a difficult load, as can most full range speakers due to impedance swings.  Many people just look at sensitivity and think “high sensitivity equals tube amp friendly”.  But as you see, that’s not always the case.  PP tube amps do best, SET amps do worse and OTLs do the worst with difficult speaker loads.  SS amps will almost always be a better match for speakers that are not an easy load.  There’s a ton of good SS amps out there and a few good digital amps, all would be good choices here. 

Oh and I agree re: the LIO - that is an amazing piece of gear.  Vinnie knocked it out of the park with that one.

Now I know there is a device to help Magnepan owners.Somehow will trick the amp to see higher impedance.Don't remember the name/brand.....

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:56 am »
Paul Speltz's "Zero-autoformer" - mine are not for sale

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/

mpv

« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:58 am »
Paul Speltz's "Zero-autoformer" - mine are not for sale
Right...You think will work with my set up? Coincident 8w SET & Spatial M3 Turbo S ?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2018, 04:32 am »
Not sure about your gear -  read his description - can match most amps correctly to most speakers.  I would try amp and speakers first - if it sounds good to you, then why worry?  You should realize I am not a perfectionist.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2018, 05:08 pm »
I’ve had Paul’s autoformers, no matter how you configure them all they will do is exasperate the problem.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2018, 06:28 pm »
Perhaps you meant they will exasperate you while they exacerbate the problem.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2018, 06:54 pm »
 :rotflmao:  :oops:  I need more covfefe.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #39 on: 23 Feb 2018, 08:53 pm »
BTW, I was using the autoformer between a tube amp wanting to see 16 ohms and the Turbo S which presents a 4 ohm load.  Without the autoformer the amp was running very hot and the importer of the amp told me not to use a 4 ohm speaker.  The autoformer used in this way didn't change the sound that I could hear, but the amp ran a lot cooler.  When he came out with the Triode Master (greatest name ever?) my problem was solved and the autoformers are in the closet, just in case I need them in the future.