Cables for M4 -Ideas?

manfredas

Cables for M4 -Ideas?
« on: 8 Jan 2018, 06:43 pm »
Any ideas how to spent 300-500 Eur?
At the moment I use cheap Audioquest cables from my Yamaha A-S2100 to Hologram M4 Turbo S

ric

Re: Cables for M4 -Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2018, 03:40 pm »
Ive had the M3 Turbos since about April and around that time there was a local pair of old MIT MH750 (with the boxes) for sale on craigslist. I bought them for $120 with the option of returning them in 48 hrs. The result was that they bested my Morrow Audio sp4 cables which surprised me, and made me a convert to MIT products. The bottom line would be to buy used, as you can resell for a slight loss or gain depending on the market. The MIT's just sounded more real--trumpets, bass, guitar,strings, all sounded more "right". The Morrows sounded more live at first listen, but for me there was no comparison.
I'm not sure why Clayton uses anticables except to show you don't need to spend huge amounts for good sound, but IMHO better (usually more expensive) cable DOES improve sound. These MIT cables originally were $1500 back in 1990? or thereabouts, but any cable you can get for 33% of the original cost or less seems like a good deal to me. Good luck!

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:12 pm »
The best match I've found for my M2 Turbo's is the Cable Research Labs Bronze SC. CRL is no longer around, but that cable is still available from Twisted Pair Design.
(www.twisted-pair-design.com) Priced well within your budget BTW.

Whitestix

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2018, 01:07 am »
 An excellent upgrade in speaker cable is Dueland 16 ga. tinnned copper wire, with the terminations of your choice.  The Dueland wire provides crystal clarity to the music, a completely organic sound and is vastly less expensive than its alternatives. 

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2018, 01:39 am »
+1 on the Dueland but I use the 12 gauge.

jseymour

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:41 am »
Had been using Signal Cable Ultra Speaker cable (10 ga) on my M3TMs.  Another Audio Circle member recommended Duelund.  Researching Duelund I came across a recommendation for Western Electric 10 ga.  The Duelund is based on the Western Electric.  The Signal Cable is not going back in.  The WE is fuller (richer?) sounding.  Fascinating thing is they are the same gauge, but the WE is slightly heavier even though it has much less jacketing.  I am tempted to buy some Duelund 12 ga to compare against the WE.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2018, 02:40 am by jseymour »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
Any ideas how to spent 300-500 Eur?

How long do you need them to be?

I really like ZU Libtec, you can get them new for a fraction of what they use to cost on ebay - that is while they have any remaining stock. I'm not using them any more but I will definitely be keeping mine. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2018, 02:38 am »
 Total agreement. I'll add Zu Mission 1 sc's to the list.....  also available at Zu's ebay auction site.

apstoltz

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2018, 04:08 pm »
I do not have Spatial Speakers...but have been trying to get a demo in Indiana with no luck. For cables, I just looked up the Duelund and they appear to be very similar to the Western Electric stuff. I have the Western Electric 10ga and 16ga and find them very pleasing. I am going to make a PC from the cable and give it go.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:19 pm »
  Any cable that gets out of the way not offering any coloration. Not trying to be cute just real.

charles

1janos

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2018, 06:17 am »
IMHO Duelund dca16ga tinnned copper wire is superb. Use it without any termination, if at all possible, which is easily done on the speaker end. I found burn-in period to be 40-50 hours. Using a bit of Caig DeOxit D5 on all contacts, namely push-on speaker wire connectors 'within' the speaker it self also helps a great deal.