Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?

magicbus

Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?
« on: 11 Feb 2018, 02:32 am »
What tube pre amps are people using with their Odyssey amps ?

JackD

Re: Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2018, 02:53 am »
Over the years I have used Music Reference RM-5, Anthem Pre-2L, Kora Eclipse, Sonic Frontiers Line 2 SE, Modwright LS-100 and PS Audio BHK. Another good option with Odyssey amps is the W4S STP-SE.

magicbus

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2018, 04:15 am »
Thanks JackD. I see you are using Triode Wire Labs speaker cables. I've read good things about TWL. Any comments on those cables ? Are they as good as the reviews say ?

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2018, 04:30 pm »
They are especially the power cords.

geerock

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2018, 04:57 pm »
Currently using Don Sachs latest model with NOS tubes with Klaus "all in" monos and run hi res downloads thru an all tube DAC.  I may never change this set up.  I find myself sitting in my music room almost every night.

loki1957

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2018, 06:36 pm »
Used a CAT SL1 Ultimate  for years. Good match. Now I've gone SS  and I think it sounds even better.

kannibal

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2018, 06:43 pm »
I’m running an Audible Illusions Modulus L1 with my Khartagos. Very happy with the sound.

soundbitten1

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2018, 03:56 am »
Anthem Pre 1L with Stratos.

mswobo

• always after better sound need a money tree
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2018, 01:27 pm »
Rouge Audio 99

A_shah

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:45 pm »
Using Don Sach's DS-2 preamp, with my Stratos/Kismet, very happy with the results, Odyssey also sells candela which is also a very capable tube preamp.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2018, 03:42 pm »
Any of you run the Candela against these others?  Just curious...

AlTran

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:10 pm »
Aaron, I had tried several preamps with my Kismet mono amps to do A B C D ... comparison. A list consist of Cary SLP-98, Rogue 99 Magnum, Triode Corp TRX-3, Audible Illusions 3A, Fisher, Scott, Harman kardon Citation I, & a few others that I don't remember. No need to go into further descriptions of each sound as everyone has different ears but for now I have 2 Candelas + a Tempest. The Candela is the best for me at this time. I would be willing to try Backert Labs if anyone can bring it over my place for comparison. I hope in a few weeks I would be able to try them with the Symphonic Line RG3 MK4 with the all out separate Turbo Power Supply. 

aaron.luebke

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:43 pm »
I've got the Candela and Tempest but haven't tried comparing either to any other tubed pre so I was curious.  I'll be very curious to see how your comparison with the Symphonic line device goes! 

I'm using the Tempest on my main rig and the Candela on a second.  I preferred the sound of the Tempest with the rest of the main.  I really need to switch them around and see how it goes.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:17 pm »
Gentleman. We all would like the best of the best sound. Choosing different manufactured components may be fun but IMHO a waste of time. When a company like Odyssey makes a matching tubed preamp that has SYNERGY with the Oddyssey amp Stop, look and listen.
Others may offer a smidgen of difference in one area or another.
It is the "system"not individual components do separately. It just makes sense to stay with Odyssey all the way. What I would look to improve ?? Front end. Cart, CDP, DAC, TT and cabling of such. Or but better speakers.

charles

aaron.luebke

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2018, 09:36 pm »
Well...heck, then don't stop at components!!

Groneberg cable (Power, interconnect and speaker) and Lorelei speakers.    :thumb:

That Klaus - he's got it almost all covered.

AlTran

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2018, 11:55 pm »
Many of us know it for the fact the synergy of Odyssey gears all together is crazy good for the $$$ spent. Klaus offers the best supports as long as you are being patient with him. Lol...

Aaron, I'm not going to comment of other brands, those are the past & became history, I did not own all of those, just a few of those listed. but at the end of the day I just find the Candela has an overall balance to everything I'm looking for. I say again, I would be willing to try other brand outside of the Odyssey family if someone brings it to my listening room for trying out, another words, if I have to pay to try then the answer is "NO'. I'm very happy with Odyssey at this time. The Tempest is great on the bass & phono section is no question one of the best built in. I'm using the Suspiro Kismet SE separate PS which is serving me very well.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:39 pm »
Please don't take offense if you're in the 12 step program - I'm not trying to poke fun at that.  However, I always feel that I need to start conversations in the forum with:

"My name is Aaron L. and I am a member of Upgrades Anonymous.  I acknowledge that I have a problem.

I say I am a member of Upgrades Anonymous because I believe there is an important difference between being an unhappy listener and being a member of Upgrades Anonymous."

Why is it that I always look to the next upgrade rather than enjoy what I have?  Love my system but as soon as someone has info on other equipment I'm jumping in.   :nono:

Soapbox slid back under my desk...  :oops:

PhotonDon

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2018, 02:40 am »
I am using a conrad johnson pv7, an old school tube preamp, and I am happy. I just got it back today after having a relay replaced and it really re awakened my system powered by my stereo Stratos.

beancounter1

« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:11 am »
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium, Candella, Schiit Audio Freya with Electro Harmonix Gold Pin Tubes, and Vincent SA 31. In that order. I also have a Tempest which is pretty damn good but a little to bright with my Infinity Kappa 9s.

TAULISA

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:06 pm »
Used to match it with First Sound Presence Delux MkII and still matching it with my current Symphonic Line KRAFT-250 Mono Blocks ! It's a State of the Art synergy with both Odyssey Audio and Symphonic Line mono blocks !