7 (25.9%)
All triode Headphone amp
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Now I can focus on new products.

Roger A. Modjeski

Now I can focus on new products.
« on: 13 Apr 2012, 06:29 pm »
As I have mentioned in several posts I moved my home and lab to a larger facility which has taken about a year and a half. Selling the former residence is not easy in this market but I am happy to say the the new owner is a customer, friend and dedicated Audiophile.

I learned an interesting thing in the move. Setting up my lab at the old place was a gradual process over the 23 years I was there. Moving it is not the problem, setting up is.

In the interim I have been working on a few new products as time permitted and I have mentioned those also. Here is a poll to let me know what you are interested in seeing come out first.

The new moving coil head amp and RIAA preamp for MM, RIAA preamp for MM/MC will have the best 6922 tubes I have ever seen (I've been testing production for 34 years). These new preamps will be supplied with one of three separate supply options: a newly designed solid state power supply, solid state with rechargeable battery for complete isolation from the power line and a tube rectified choke input supply.

There is some confusion about choke input supplies which I can clairfy here. The term "choke regulated" is now being used to denote a choke input filter. I dislike this because a choke does not regulate. In fact, by the definition of voltage regulation it un-regulates. In other words, a choke input filter following a rectifier has poorer regulation than a capacitor input filter over a wide range of currents such as in a power amplifier. In a preamp it hardly matters. What a choke input does do is keep the current in the rectifier more continuous (longer conduction angle) and reduce the peak current. These are good things if the current draw is constant as in a preamp. However the choke does not make any attempt to regulate for line voltge variations. Here we still need a voltage regulator of a very very big capacitor reservoir. I opt for the latter as it is very simple. However, the filaments in a preamp still need regulation and that is best done solid state as the current is high and the filaments are definitely not in the signal path.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2012, 04:58 am by Roger A. Modjeski »

BobRex

Out of curiosity, how is the OTL coming?

Roger A. Modjeski

It's not yet what I want it to be so I put it aside to work on preamps.