• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Help me pick my fourth headphone
« on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:54 am »
Current lineup is:

1. Senn HD700
2.  Mr. Speakers Ether Flow
3. Oppo PM3

Missing a closed back dynamic driver, want to spend less than 1k.  The closed back dynamic is especially important while listening in bed so I don't bother my wife.  I sold a nice pair of Beyers and wouldn't be opposed to something along those lines.

Thanks in advance!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Help me pick my fourth headphone
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2018, 02:41 am »
HifiMan HE560 and Audeze LCD2-C seems classic HPs with exquisite flavors. Same for the Senn HD800.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2018, 01:13 am »
Hifiman 560, Audeze LCD2, and HD800 are all open, the HD800 is well over stated $1K max budget, and the OP is specifically in search of a closed back model.

Meze 99 seems to have a rep for punching above its weight. I confess I'm not the best source on specific closed models inasmuch as, with the exception of the Beyers with velour earpads, I've never found any I can keep on for long enough to get through a record... but I was wondering, is an IEM out of the question? At your budget, you would have some great options (love my Shure SE535's), even including custom tips for excellent comfort.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2018, 05:47 am »
Denon AH D5000 or the D7000 - you can find them on Ebay.  I'm not sure why they were discontinued, they are still the best closed headphones I've heard for less than $1k.  I've heard a lot :)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2018, 01:11 pm »
I love my Beyerdynamics DT770 premium (NOT PRO) version closed back.

Long version:

I'd been happily using Sennheiser HD650s for years when a friend lent me his Beyerdynamic T-1s for a couple weeks. It took about a week for me to decide the T1s were a bit too hot for me. But, it got me thinking so I did a little research and bought a used pair of DT990 premiums. I compared them to the 650s for about a month and sold the 650s. The 990s were so much more lively to me.
Now I say NOT PRO version because I bought a pair of the 990 pros and hated them.

After living with the 990s for 6 months or so I went looking for a closed back headphone for the same reason you want them and found the DT770. The have a very similar sound which suits me perfectly. Oh, and you probably already know how comfortable they are. Wear them for hours with no discomfort.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2018, 01:17 pm »
I had the Denon AH 5000's, and they are a good option to consider if you wish to get them used.

Regarding the Beyer DT770,  I almost (and still may) get the Studio variant.  There are reviews out there recommending the Studio as perhaps the best option out of the 770's.

I would also be strongly tempted to pick up the Meze Classic 99's.  They are cited as punching above their price class, and replacement parts are readily available.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2018, 04:05 pm »

Regarding the Beyer DT770,  I almost (and still may) get the Studio variant.  There are reviews out there recommending the Studio as perhaps the best option out of the 770's.

I hadn't heard of the Studio version, and I can't find any reference to the version I have. Mine have the outer cup in silver color instead of the black used on the Pro and Studio versions. Guess the non pro version is out of production.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2018, 05:12 pm »
The Mezze’s are good, but the Denons are much better, IMO.  The dt770’s are also great even though they don’t have the nice wood earcup the Denons have.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2018, 09:44 pm »
The old school closed Denons are nice, but they leak sound and would probably disturb your wife.

Many of the modern closed dynamics still have venting/ports in the cups to help equalize the sound, which is great except that means they also do still leak sound so keep that in mind. Full isolation both ways comes at the price of a humped midbass and wobbly treble unless you get into modding.

Do they have to be over-ear? there are some on-ear options that you can consider too, which may or may not be more comfortable in bed.

Is there any reasons you don't use the PM-3 in bed? Or are you simply trying to round out the collection to have one each of open/closed and planar/dynamic?

rtm00x

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:43 pm »
I'd go with an Audio Technica A1000Z. An ESW-9, if you like warmer sound signature, and might be better fit for bed (smaller, on ear). Lately have been thoroughly impressed with ATH closed cans.

oiduan

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2018, 08:57 am »
I'm using OPPO PM-3, it works very well.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2018, 07:18 pm »
Take a look at Beyer's T5P.....very nice...

Alex

LostInPA

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:55 pm »
I recommend https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Avantone_Pro--Headphones

Excellent tonal balance, although a basshead may not be absolutely satisfied.   Very low impedance and very high sensitivity.   Large and heavy, which may be a negative for you.   A small negative is the stock earpads: a bit uncomfortable, not quite deep enough, and not the best acoustical seal.   All cured, along with slightly better bass performance, by replacing the stock earpads with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HJ5GND/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2018, 12:05 am »
Incredible a headphone with built-in tone control :scratch:
Mix mode with a special contour that emphasizes midrange to replicate the sound of Mixcubes

LostInPA

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:41 am »
These are professional headphones, designed for studio recording/mixing use.   Just because those other features are there does not mean that you have to use them.

"Avantone puts a new spin on headphones with the MP1 MixPhone Triple Play Personal Monitor. The multi-mode MP1 MixPhone features Vari-Voice, which lets you switch between normal neutral-voiced stereo, mono, and a Mix mode with a special contour that emphasizes midrange to replicate the sound of Mixcubes, so you can focus your attention on these crucial mix frequencies."

For listeners, "normal neutral-voiced stereo" is the pertinent phrase.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:58 am »
Those big mixing desks are plenty of levels,
I suspect this phone are suited to movies talk.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2018, 03:39 am by FullRangeMan »

gefski

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:33 am »
I found the Meze 99 to be nicely balanced, neutral, transparent for a closed back, and found the DT770 to be not neutral, with a plasticky treble that I couldn't "unhear" once exposed to it.

I can't recall if reviewers like Tyll Hertsens measure "leakage" since that is important for your use.

jibzilla

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2018, 03:05 am »
I'd just get cheap old Sony mdr-v6's and put on some dakoni ear pads and get a re-cable from proaudiola or btg with some affordable mogami/neutrik.

Should only set you back a couple hundred tops and you have a headphone that has a better cable and ear pads than many $1k headphones.

The akg k-181 also punches well above its price point and is a closed dynamic as well.

jibzilla

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2018, 03:08 am »
Denon AH D5000 or the D7000 - you can find them on Ebay.  I'm not sure why they were discontinued, they are still the best closed headphones I've heard for less than $1k.  I've heard a lot :)

They were not discontinued. Denon and Fostex (Foster) parted ways. The fostex th-600 and 900 are the new d-5k and d-7k.