Difference between Song and SS categories of Salk speakers.

Flathead2

I have looked but have not found much information regarding how the Song and SS categories of Salk speakers are differentiated.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.   Thank you.

jsalk

• Facilitator
    • Salk Signature Sound
Re: Difference between Song and SS categories of Salk speakers.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2020, 05:45 pm »
The Song Series speakers began with the SongTowers.  At the time, our goal was to produce a great speaker under $2000 (not a small feat).  That design received an Editor's Choice Award from the Absolute Sound for seven years running.  Today it still represents one of the best values in the audio industry.  Later, we introduced the Song3.  Again, our goal was to produce a great 3-way speaker at a ground-breaking price.  Since then, in response to customer requests, we added a number of upgraded versions, as well as center channels and monitor speakers.  These speakers do not do all of the things that SS speakers do, but what they do, they do exceedingly well.

For many years, the Veracity Series represented our top-of-the line speakers.  Most were centered around Seas magnesium woofers and ribbon tweeters.  These remain great designs with a very detailed midrange and a transparent and detailed top end.  The HT3's were our flagship model for many years.  When the woofers for this design were no longer available, we set about to create a new flagship speaker design and the SS line was born.

Today, the existing SS models represent the best the audio industry has to offer.  When selecting drivers for this series of speakers, we do not take cost into consideration.  We select what we feel are the best drivers available world-wide for the application at hand.  These are not inexpensive speakers.  But if they were sold at retail, they would cost about 2.5 times as much as we charge for them.

SS models feature a more extended frequency response and detail from top to bottom.  They also have features you will not find in our other models or, in some cases, in most other speakers regardless of brand.

As always, our goal with all designs is to offer the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price.  I started building speakers for myself because I wanted better performance and did not want to pay what other manufacturers were charging.  When we founded our company, one of our goals was to pass that same level of value to our customers so they could obtain better performance than their investment would otherwise allow.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Flathead2

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2020, 09:27 pm »
Thank you very much for this information.  It provides the reference I was looking for as I research my way through the Song and SS speakers.  I am new to your speakers and appreciate this Circle as a source of information and to learn from your expertise and the experience of others.  Thank you again.

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2020, 11:23 am »
Song Series - awesome

SS Series - even more awesome

Figured I would simplify it.