cirrus vs vandersteen 3a sig

monte

cirrus vs vandersteen 3a sig
« on: 9 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm »
What do you guys think? I use my speakers for 50% audio 50% ht.Also would you need a pair of subs.

sts9fan

Re: cirrus vs vandersteen 3a sig
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:43 pm »
Seeing this is the Vapor company forum I will give you one guess what they will say.   :roll:
Get the Vandys :lol:

monte

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2014, 03:51 pm »
Sorry for the post.I have the vandys

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2014, 04:24 pm »
Have not heard the Cirrus. I have the 2ce Sig IIs. I cannot imagine getting rid of them. I might go to Magnepan 3.7s or Vandy 5a. But that is at a much higher price point.
BTW I have upgraded amplifiers and sources over two years. Each time the Vandys sounded better. It made me think, at what point will I hear the true potential of this speaker....

monte

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2014, 04:32 pm »
I was just wondering how much I would gain with the Cirrus over the Vandy

standub

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2014, 02:24 am »
I love Vandersteen speakers however I now own a pair of Cirrus.  I feel that they have a hell of a lot more in common then they do have different.  Imho the Cirrus slightly edge out the 3a.  For music I don't think they need a sub, for movies, the more subs the better no matter what speaker.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2014, 03:22 am »
No doubt Vandersteen makes great stuff, and they have been for a long time.  They sold over 200,000 2c's for a reason!  Also with the 3a being around so long, essentially unchanged, you can find really good deals on them used from time to time.  If you found a pair for $1500, it would be pretty hard for us to compete with that. 

That said, although a well executed design, it is a dated design with dated drivers.  I'm not personally a fan of that aluminum tweeter, it's best when subdued to where it pretty much disappears sonically.  And the midrange/woofer are both well integrated and smooth, but not very resolving or articulate.  Overall it's a very easy to listen too speaker, but doesn't exactly take you deep into the recording.  The Cirrus will greatly exceed the 3a's resolution and transparency, the 3a can give a bit more bottom end energy.  But sub or subs are easy to add and integrate, and a Cirrus with proper sub integration can deliver the kind of sound you'd expect to have to spend $20K to achieve. 

monte

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2014, 10:46 am »
Thanks Ryan, that's what I was looking for, some clarity between the two. Is vapor audio going to the Capitol Audio Fest

mcmanus

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:41 am »
I've owned the 2C and was crazy about them at the time. Many years later, I own Cirrus Black. There is no comparison in sound or build quality. Completely different neighborhood. I know the 2C is not the 3 and I suspect the 3 is better in every way but I cannot imagine the 3 even coming close to the Cirrus. Be sure and listen before you make that decision. Just my experience.