6moons Speaker review

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: 6moons Speaker review
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:19 pm »
I know that advertising is expected by many and even most major publications in exchange for reviews, so paying for reviews is very common. The previous observation that Stereophile only reviews companies that advertise with them is an indication that this is simply the way business is done, but it's unwritten and unofficial for obvious reasons. How can the readers expect a fair review when it is paid for? That's a conflict of interest for sure, as a bad review will mean no more ad money.

I don't see what 6moons is doing as being any different, it's just a confirmation that things are simply broken in the world of high end audio reporting and reviewing. It's also obvious things are broken by the fact that bad reviews simply don't exist when they should. Most folks have been to audio shows and they are full of crappy sounding systems, yet you'll never read anything specifically critical in any sort of print or online publication. The simple fact that reviews are always positive is an indication that reviewing is a compromised institution. I still read them because they can still be informative and interesting, and I think most people that are into high end audio understands the undisclosed limitations of what a reviewer is allowed to say in a review.

I think we all know the way it should work too... Reviews are done so the publication can provide content that people are interested in, and the publication makes money by selling advertisements, and these two functions... reviewing and advertising... should have a fair degree of separation to avoid potential conflicts of interest. Reality however, is often very different from ideal. And ideally, the manufacturer who is getting reviewed and the reviewer should benefit EQUALLY. No freeloading one way or another. The manufacturer gets public exposure and the reviewer has content to draw in readers and ad money.

Personally, I'm not sure whether to be upset that we can't have unbiased professional reviews or give props to Srajan for being honest and upfront about how it really works.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:23 pm »
give props to Srajan for being honest and upfront about how it really works.
That's how I feel.  He's the only one to lay it on the line and be honest about it.  To me, all of the reviews are entertainment.  No different on any product (car, computer or even watches).  I read Stereophile for the pictures and measurements and to have a general good laugh.  That's it. 

As far as I'm concerned, others should be so honest with their business model as Srajan has been. 

daveaux419

« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:24 pm »
I think that you might be on to something here, its not bad luck, its choice. I think that Vapor makes incredible products, they are just new and not as well oiled as many other companies out there. Give them time and they will get better. On the flip side, with the 6moons drama, its going to push off some buyers.

mav52

« Reply #63 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:37 pm »
On the flip side, with the 6moons drama, its going to push off some buyers.

I really doubt it, maybe in Switzerland but not in the U.S.

People are in the business to make money regardless of the profession they choose, be it building speakers or even trying to make some cash from writing reviews, sorry selling add space.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #64 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:39 pm »
I know that advertising is expected by many and even most major publications in exchange for reviews, so paying for reviews is very common. The previous observation that Stereophile only reviews companies that advertise with them is an indication that this is simply the way business is done, but it's unwritten and unofficial for obvious reasons. How can the readers expect a fair review when it is paid for? That's a conflict of interest for sure, as a bad review will mean no more ad money.

But that is NOT how it works at Stereophile, Absolute Sound, Enjoy The Music, Tone Audio, Dagogo, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you get a review the advertising team WILL contact you and give you a sales pitch, but the two are NOT tied together.  Reviews will be given without expectation of purchasing advertising.  And certainly there is no one else who ties the quality of review given to the amount of advertising purchased. 

Trust is all that matters from my perspective.  The reviewer wields incredible power over us, if there's any doubt we will be given fair footing vs all others, I am compelled to walk away.  Maybe that's why we've had so few reviews, in fact I know it is.  And that's hard for me because by nature I am a very trusting guy.  Even still if I had to be honest I'd say that most likely Srajan would give me fair footing and a fair review.  But because this decision doesn't just involve me, it involves my family, my business partners and employees, the others who depend on me, I have to listen to that voice in the back of my head. 

vortrex

« Reply #65 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:54 pm »
Who here thinks its coincidence when certain companies are always involved in drama and other are not?  Must be bad luck.

:thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:54 pm »
I really doubt it, maybe in Switzerland but not in the U.S.

See post 3 - 5 here.

Phil A

« Reply #67 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:08 pm »
As I noted earlier, there is no perfect system.  That's why I belong to a place like this.  It tends to have information about products much more often about genuine like or dislikes without the tainting of compensation to the person making the comments (we all should avoid the name calling - everyone is entitled to their opinions or preferences).  There was a a recent general rant on Stereophile about many of the things discussed in this thread.  I like the initial post which goes into some detail about the problems of reviews but qualifies it upfront with - “i'm keeping my subscription, i need to read something in the bathroom.”

http://www.stereophile.com/content/why-stereophile-way-behind-other-magazines

vortrex

« Reply #68 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:28 pm »
There's a lot more to this saga than advertising dollars and $2500 shipping costs.  It all comes down to being afraid of a less than perfect review and not having the control to delete what might have been written.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #69 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:32 pm »
The same one person as always is intent on turning this discussion into a negative one, so it's probably best that the thread just be locked. 

All that needs to be said has been.  I still respect Srajan and 6moons greatly, the only point of this was to inform everyone of my decision not to continue with the review.  If we find another reviewer to work with, I'll start a new thread making it known.