Microfiber lens cloth for CD cleaning?

rpf

Microfiber lens cloth for CD cleaning?
« on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:42 pm »
So, does anyone know if you can use a microfiber camera lens/screen cloth to lightly clean CDs of fingerprints and dust?

I went to four stores today (Micro Center, Best Buy, Office Max and RadioShack) looking for CD wipes and none stocked them; just scratch removal kits.  :evil:

srb

Re: Microfiber lens cloth for CD cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm »
So, does anyone know if you can use a microfiber camera lens/screen cloth to lightly clean CDs of fingerprints and dust?

They would be perfect.  If the fingerprints or smudges are particularly stubborn or oily, use a damp one immediately followed by a dry one.

Steve

Delta Wave

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:05 pm »
All we ever used at the CD factory(s) was 99% isopropyl alcohol and cotton pads. You can use a good, fine diamond mirror polish and cotton balls to fix any minor surface scuffs and/or scratches. then just wipe it off with alcohol and cotton. Regular isopropyl alcohol   (70%) won't work, you need the 99% "microprocessor grade" stuff to not leave a residue or film behind.

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm »
You could get one from an optical / eye store ...

You want to get fancy and do more ... could get http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2010, 03:28 am »
Thanks guys!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:59 am »
I use mircofiber lens clothes for my CDs.

My preferred cleaning regimen -

Spray with Pledge Anti-Static, wipe with microfiber cloth, then lightly buff with a dry microfiber cloth.  It's a very big improvement.  New CDs improve a decent amount, but older ones really improve.